Menu

Homemade distilling to make Cedar oil?

We have these tiny little bugs in our kitchen cupboards, I wanted to try to get rid of them, but I didn't want to use chemicals. I've been reading that cedar oil should do it, but cedar oil is very pricey at $100 a gallon!!!

Since we have lots of cedar trees in the woods next to our house. I wanted to see if I could make my own cedar oil.

Can anyone tell me how to make a homemade distiller?

Or does anyone have any other pointers on cedar oil (making it or otherwise)?

Thanks!

No, you can't distill essential oils at home. Also, essential oils are normally sold by the half ounce, so it's not as pricey as it sounds. (A relatively inexpensve, $5.99 bottle of lavender essential oil would cost over $1500 for the gallon, at the same rate.)

No, you can't distill essential oils at home. Also, essential oils are normally sold by the half ounce, so it's not as pricey as it sounds. (A relatively inexpensve, $5.99 bottle of lavender essential oil would cost over $1500 for the gallon, at the same rate.)

Thanks for your input.

You feel the price is inexpensive, well, perhaps when comparing the two sizes it is, but I just don't have $100 to spend right now on the cedar oil.

Also, I'm sure you can make cedar oil at home.

In the process of looking for the information on how to make cedar oil I discovered that the American Indians made cedar oil to rub on themselves to kill ticks and mosquitos. So if the wonderful native American Indians could make cedar oil I'm sure there is a way I can. All I need is the know-how!

Edited by fruitful vine

Why do you feel you need to use the oil undiluted to have an effect? Do you know what kind of insect you are dealing with?

Essential oils can be distilled at home, but distillers are very expensive, and make only drops at a time. I have seen home distillers at times on e-bay, though. You need to understand that it takes a huge quantity of plant material to make only a few drops...not that it can't be done.

I'm just trying to think through how strong the oil needs to be. Rarely are they really needed undiluted.

~Lisa (3/4 of the way through to being a certified holisitc aromatherapist)

Why do you feel you need to use the oil undiluted to have an effect? Do you know what kind of insect you are dealing with?

Essential oils can be distilled at home, but distillers are very expensive, and make only drops at a time. I have seen home distillers at times on e-bay, though. You need to understand that it takes a huge quantity of plant material to make only a few drops...not that it can't be done.

I'm just trying to think through how strong the oil needs to be. Rarely are they really needed undiluted.

~Lisa (3/4 of the way through to being a certified holisitc aromatherapist)

Hi,

The bug is a saw-tooth grain beetle. They are over in my cupboard as well as many other areas of the house.

We just bought the house and I'm was shocked at the mess left by the former owners, which has led to this bugs infestation!

As for how much to use: It said on-line to spray the cracks of all the cupboards, and it didn't say anything about diluting it. So I guess I would have to try it to see if it works. But if I need to stray all the cracks it would take a large amount to cover it all.

I did see the distillers on-line and also on ebay. Yes they are pricey, but I had heard that it can be done with two pots, a hose and some ice. I was just wondering how that works. But if it takes that much to get a gallon it may not be worth the trouble!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

You feel the price is inexpensive, well, perhaps when comparing the two sizes it is, but I just don't have $100 to spend right now on the cedar oil.

Also, I'm sure you can make cedar oil at home.

In the process of looking for the information on how to make cedar oil I discovered that the American Indians made cedar oil to rub on themselves to kill ticks and mosquitos. So if the wonderful native American Indians could make cedar oil I'm sure there is a way I can. All I need is the know-how!

Ok, my point was that, except in industrial situations, there is no need for a gallon of essential oil. I have a 4 oz bottle of lavender that I bought 5 years ago and I use it in salves, sprays, laundry rinse... a little EO goes a very, very long way. You would need about 2 drops in a carrier mixture of about 8 oz. for bug repellent. I gallon would eat through a plastic container before you ever saw a discernable drop in the volume, using it frequently, and I'm not even sure it's wise (or legal) to keep in such volumes as the flash point of essential oils is generally below 140 degrees F. It is, with very few exceptions, NOT safe for use directly on skin.

The Native Americans - as well as herbalists, myself included - made infused oil. For that, I can provide a ratio. I'm pretty sure it's 1:2 bark (grams) to oil (ml) for barks, but I'll look it up. You can use whatever oil you have handy but, generally, olive oil is the standard. So, you measure out the bark (and possibly leaves, I have to dig up my Herbal Medicine Makers Handbook) in grams, put it in a jar, and add twice as many ml as the gram weight. Cover it and shake it daily for about 6 weeks (could be longer).

I'll dig up the books I have and see what they say about exact(ish) amounts.