Menu

Have you found an excellent science or history video (or series)?

I am looking for something a bit more instructional or higher level than Magic School Bus. My kids really enjoy the Prima Latina video lessons. So, even though I don't generally do TV, I'd like to get something to help me teach either science or history- maybe something from national geographic or PBS-- but with Christian world-view, if possible... We will be driving across the country this summer and I am trying to think of a video the kids can watch in the car. Thanks for your input.

Sue

put out by the BBC is an excellent series. It is not from a Christian world-view, but they were very well-done and I wouldn't say there was too much that a Christian would object to. There were, of course, refences to hundred-thousand years, and things like that, but it wasn't a huge emphasis. The photography is absolutely amazing!!

Let's just say if they enjoy watching the Prima videos, they will love this! :D

For science, the Newton's Workshops are excellent (put out by Moody). Each video even comes with a "teachers guide". You might also try audio CD's. My boys have enjoyed the Nest History CD's as well as the Your Story Hour history tapes (although these are a little 'younger' than the Nest). A really fun audio CD is The Odyssey performed by Odds Bodkin. That one got us from Colorado back to Oklahoma one summer LOL.

My son really likes "Popular Mechanics for Kids". It's a Canadian show from about the mid-nineties and covers a lot of science topics. You can get dvds on amazon for pretty cheap. We also love Bill Nye the Science Guy, but it's so expensive - we've managed to get a few from the library and watch some on youtube. I know there is someone on ebay who "sells" rentals of his Bill Nye dvds that might work well for a road trip - I've never used it though. Netflix has the "100 Greatest Discoveries" Bill Nye series that is supposed to be much more serious, but good. I haven't seen it yet.

For history, I really like the Michael Wood "In the Footsteps" series. Netflix has it as well as my library. I haven't tried this for a child as mine is just six. I think an older child might be interested. He goes to historical places in this series to travel "in the footsteps" of historical figures. I've seen the Shakespeare, Troy and Alexander the Great ones and they are all good, especially the Shakespeare one.

Melisa

We have really enjoyed the Schlessinger Science videos. They make history videos too, I've seen ones about colonial America, as well as ones about all the ancient civilizations which have been great to go along with SOTW 1. Our library carries them.

Schlessinger videos

I second the Schlessinger videos. There are different series: "Ancient Civilizations for Children", "Explorers of the World", "Colonial America for Children", "Inventors of the World", "History of the Middle Ages" are some of the series we've enjoyed.

There is also a series (not Schlessinger) called "Animated Hero Classics". I got all of these videos at our library.

I also recommend the Schlessinger series, we have loved all the history and science videos we have gotten and get them from the library repeatedly. The librarians got a big kick out of my six year old being so thrilled to get the Ancient Aegean video and see it again.