Menu

Memoriable present ideas for my grandson's 1st birthday?

I don't want to buy him clothes or toys but something that he can keep and cherish forever. I am not really good with gift ideas though so I could use some suggestions. His mom is already really good with pictures and scrapbooking so probably not anything like that but maybe something personalized? Any ideas?

I had a silver dog tag engraved for my best friends son when he was one. She wore it for many years. He is now 9 and wears it around his neck. It has become something special for the 3 of us. I put his name, moms name and DOB, allergies would be good too but he didn't have any.

You could start a savings account for him. I wish someone had done that for my dc. My grandparents talked about it, but never did it. Add a little each year, along with a small gift. It could be for his first car, college, etc. We are only 4 1/2 years away from ds driving, so it would have been nice to have that. My dc birthdays are both at Christmas, so they get SO much. They decide now how much goes into the account they started a couple of years ago, but I wish we had done it sooner.

My 11 yo ds got a nice rocking chair from Cracker Barrel for his 1st birthday. It has a wide seat on it and he still sits in it to play his video games. It is very sturdy and has taken the wear of a house full of kids.

Along the same lines, maybe a nice toy chest? It could be used for other things as he gets older.

If you are looking for something smaller I would say get a nice book. You could start a tradition of buying a nice classic book each year to build a collection. Of course, you might want to throw in a cheap "fun" thing that he would like now.

My 1 yo just got a really nice wooden play kitchen from her grandma. A nice wagon might be another idea for something bigger.

Marie

What about a single stock? You can go to oneshare dot com and buy a single stock from a couple of different companies... Disney, DreamWorks, Harley, McDonalds, Starbucks and they have lots of others.

They offer frames and the stocks are decorated. It's a unique gift.

we gave each of them a series of books (as one poster suggested -- great idea), and for each of them (they are 2 years apart), I went to a quilt shop and had a quilt custom made with their name and birth date - I selectd a toddler size quilt to keep the costs reasonable. The quilt also matched their rooms -- my daughter has since had both quilts framed and put on the girls' bedroom walls.

Congrats on this happy occasion!:001_smile: