Menu

HS in Singapore?

Guest 3GAdventure

Guest 3GAdventure

Just curious if there are like-minded classical learning HS in Singapore. Just starting out on the HS path (I'm so nervous) and wondering how others tailor a classical learning approach while living in SE Asia vs. the "Western world." For example, my kids are excited about ancient history ... anyone doing this in Asia and have good ideas/resources for digging into ancient Asian history? (It seems to make sense to me to dig a little while we live here.)

Lastly, I've been doing a lot of online research/hunting and I've become confused about what and where to buy. Also, how best to get "western" materials in this country where nearly everything it seems must be purchased elsewhere and shipped at great cost to this little, island city-state. I have used Amazon and know about Book Depository, although the latter has received negative reviews in recent months, i.e., it's becoming unreliable.

Any other online sellers out there that ship to SE Asia I should know about?

I have one seasoned HS contact here in Singapore, although we've only just met. I'm hoping to find others. BTW, I'm homeschooling dd 11, dd, 8 and (maybe) ds, 3 going on 4. Thanks!

Hello

I'm not in Singapore, but I home educated in China for four years. We did the standard world history cycle, but stopped off for a year and did Chinese history. We used a lot of locally-acquired resources for that. I have an Amazon list with some ideas for that, if you are interested. There are great trips to be made to back up the history.

We made Mandarin our main foreign language, adding Latin in later. Now that we have moved back to Europe, we are also studying French.

There are a few sellers that seem sympathetic to the need to ship worldwide: Sonlight, Life of Fred and Hewitt all take it in their stride (the latter was happy to ship the contents of their courses without the heavy folder). I also used paddyfield.com, in Hong Kong. They stock books from the UK, the US and Australia - often you can choose the cheapest option from various editions. They shipped to China, so I would think they would also ship to Singapore.

Best wishes

Laura

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...