Menu

Thinning hair?

I am 39 and in really good health. I just got back from getting my hair cut and the hair dresser commented that the hair at the top of my head is very thin. She was concerned enough to suggest I see my Dr. She isn't sure if I am losing hair or it is breaking off.

She asked if I was on any medications or had a recent illness. I am on armour thyroid, which I have been on for @ 7-9 months and was on synthroid previously for the last 15 years. No illness other than I started having gallbladder issues a year ago, but still have my GB. I have lost 86#s in the last 13 months through a low fat, high fiber diet and have been vegan for the last 5 months. I excersise 5-6 days a week.

Can eating too little fat cause this? The vegan diet? Or something else completely? I am really worried and plan to see my Dr next week.

Definitely see your doctor. I just saw a coroner type true story where a woman died suddenly and that was one of her major symptoms. Turns out she was taking some weird supplement called DHEA---waaaay too much of it, but anyway the doctor is pretty sure that is what caused her death.

However, I think it is common for women's hair to begin to thin.

((Jean))) dont worry. But see about it. :)

I hope you get a better response from your dr than I did from mine. I went b/c my hair was falling out in handfuls. Her response was that it is normal to lose 100 hairs/day!! FWIW, thyroid problems can cause your hair to fall out, so if you haven't had blood work in awhile, you might want to consider it. Since I am hypothyroid, I found a different dr and she upped my doseage. I still lose a lot of hair and my hair has thinned considerably.

My 16 yo dd had suddenly-thinning hair for about 6 months before I took it seriously. We went to the Pediatrician, who ordered a Thyroid test (normal), then went to the dermatologist.

He explained that there are 2 types of hair loss. One is female-pattern baldness, at the crown of one's head. Most people can't see it themselves. He said that if you sit in the balcony of a full church, you will see quite a bit of it in the older women.

The other type is telogen effluvium. About half the hair follicles die (like leaves on a tree in autumn) and fall out. It is usually caused by a major stressful event in one's life (boyfriend breakup, parents' divorce, moving, etc.). The dermatologist asked her some very personal questions, but we still cannot determine the cause. My daughter is a happy young woman, without angst . . . but for several months we still tried to determine if there was some hidden trouble. (The idea being that you can address the cause of the stress & work through it.)

Several months ago, she noticed that the hair loss was greatly reduced (again, for no obvious reason). Her hair texture is now very different--more frizzy, not as full--but it is starting to grow back in.

Let me know if you have more questions, as it was a very puzzling time for us.

I failed to mention that the dermatologist said there was no way to treat it effectively. The hair was basically already "dead" & can't be restored.

He advised that she treat her hair gently, no harsh shampoos, or hair bands to protect it as much as possible.

My mom went on an extreme diet a few years ago, and her hair became brittle and thin. I believe it was because

she was doing zero to low fat, she eliminated most if not all good fats as well as bad.

My friend, as well, did a VERY Low Fat diet. In addition, she got very deep wrinkles at a very young age. I never asked her age and assumed she had waited til very late in life to have babies. You could have knocked me over with a feather when she told me that she was excited to run in her usual 10K race, as she was now eligible for the "Over 50" category with its slower qualifying times. I could have sworn she was over 60. :eek:

Though it sounds, Jean, like you're getting your 30%, just with good fats, right?

PCOS and pre-diabetes does this to some women. Metabolic syndrome, IIRC.

Thanks, ladies. I am going to see a dermatologist as soon as I can. I am trying to not flip, but still-my hair?

Pam, I have been eating a very low fat diet, probably more closer to 10-15% fat. I have been trying to up it for a few weeks now and need to make sure I do eat some good fats every day. I always forget to add it.

Thanks, ladies. I am going to see a dermatologist as soon as I can. I am trying to not flip, but still-my hair?

Pam, I have been eating a very low fat diet, probably more closer to 10-15% fat. I have been trying to up it for a few weeks now and need to make sure I do eat some good fats every day. I always forget to add it.

Do you worry that your fat-soluble vitamins won't be able to do their respective jobs? Or do you have research that this low is beneficial for women? (Not confrontational, just curious. ;) )

This could cause thinning hair in someone eating a vegan diet. You might want to try taking a B12 supplement--the sublingual type is supposed to be absorbed the best.

Has your doctor checked your thyroid levels since you switched from synthroid? Maybe the new one you're taking isn't working as well for you?

Sorry to come in so late on this. I've been sick, and I haven't been on the board.

Anyway, here is an excellent article about telogen effluvian hair loss. One of the causes listed is "crash diet with too little protein".

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

Your discription of your dietary changes triggered my memory of this article.

I hope you figure out what's going on. I know how distressing it is to lose your hair. I saved this article after my own bout with hair loss a few years ago. Mine was due to the trauma of an illness I had suffered several months earlier. Like the poster whose daughter had TE hair loss, mine came back different. It's wavy now, and it was always straight before. Another change: I've become sensitive to shampoos that contain sodium laureth sulfate. My scalp hurts if I use them, and my hair starts falling out. If you have a sensitive scalp, let me know, and I'll share some products I've found that are sulfate free.

On a positive note, with telogen effluviam hair loss, the hair stops growing at the time of the trauma, but it doesn't actually fall out until the new hair starts growing again. The baby hairs push the old, dead hairs out of the follicles. The fact that it's falling out is probably a sign that it is actually growing in again! :) Perhaps your body has adjusted to your diet changes, and is getting better.

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause by Dr. John Lee (link)? It's written for women ages 35 - 50 and suggests that thinning hair may be related to hormonal changes as we age. He recommends a bioidentical progesterone supplement; I have a friend who tried this and her hair is thicker and healthier as a result.

HTH!

Quiver,

Been there, done that, I know how you feel!

My wonderful doc said hair falls out for 3 reasons:

1-thyroid

2-mineral deficiency

3-stress.

He gave me minerals - they worked.

(Enzymatic Therapy Kreb Cycle Chelates - only 2 a day even in my deficient state).

I think low fat makes your hair break.

Get your thyroid hormone level checked again.

I know it's horrible. My mom actually wears a wig - which looks soooooo good on her! Do not just accept it as life. I could have given my family history of women loosing hair. I love my doctor and my minerals.

Thanks again. I am going to look up the different supplements and order what I need. I know I need to see my Dr and am really thinkingmy tyroid might be playing a big part in this. So, seeing my Dr is # 1 on my list. I appreciate the help. I was really upset yesterday, but have a plan now.

Back in her 30's, my mom lost a considerable amount of weight (like 90lbs on a 5-ft, 3in frame) and experienced hair thinning throughout her strict eating program. Are you dropping the weight too quickly? It may be upsetting a hormone balance that is already delicate in your late 30's. That is a very low percentage of fat...like the others, I wonder if that isn't contributing.

Barb