Menu

magnets for sorting

tuckabella

Hello out there! Does anyone know where I can get magnets for sorting? I would prefer them to be somewhat 3-D so that my DD can grasp them and sort them on a cookie sheet. I need multiple copies of each magnet, say 4-6 of each. I tried Oriental Trading and they had only foam magnets. Ebay wasn't much help. A.C. Moore, Michaels, Wal-Mart and Target have not been any help with this.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

This was my first thought...

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Power-Magnets/product_516098?cmArea=SEARCH

http://www.staples.com/OXO-GOOD-GRIPS-Large-Magnets/product_760634?cmArea=SEARCH

These would be good for sorting color and size, but look more difficult to handle...

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Assorted-Size-Color-Magnets/product_382835?cmArea=SEARCH

Edited by babysparkler

Oxo makes magnets that have grips sticking out, got some at Staples. But maybe that's not what you're wanting? I have tanagram figures I got ages ago from Love2Learn.net that have magnets on the back. Perhaps you could just get magnet strip with adhesive on the back, snip, and apply to whatever it is you're wanting her to sort?

Oxo makes magnets that have grips sticking out, got some at Staples. But maybe that's not what you're wanting? I have tanagram figures I got ages ago from Love2Learn.net that have magnets on the back. Perhaps you could just get magnet strip with adhesive on the back, snip, and apply to whatever it is you're wanting her to sort?

I do like the Oxo ones. I was hoping to find maybe fruits and veggies, or shapes, but in 3-D. I think the 3-D makes them easier to grab.

I had thought of finding whatever it is that I want her to sort and them adding that magnetic tape, but I hear from many AAS users who try to do that that their tiles (and not get the magnets from AAS) they tend to keep falling off. I guess it depends on what the magnetic tape is trying to stick to.

Thanks for the suggestion!

We have made quite a few fun magnets (for a different purpose) by glueing small disc-shaped magnets to the back of objects with a hot-glue gun. They have all held up well (even using heavier objects). The little magnets are not self-adhesive and you can find them in many craft stores or craft sections of larger stores. However, they aren't as flat as the self-adhesive strips (if that matters to you). Just another idea. :001_smile:

I'm confused. How are you using the magnets? Are they to hold in place objects that you want a child to sort? Or are they for a child to sort by color? How old is the child?

If this is a simply color sorting activity, my little ones delight in sorting our counting bears into the matching colored cups. It's a great way to keep a little one busy.

We have made quite a few fun magnets (for a different purpose) by glueing small disc-shaped magnets to the back of objects with a hot-glue gun. They have all held up well (even using heavier objects). The little magnets are not self-adhesive and you can find them in many craft stores or craft sections of larger stores. However, they aren't as flat as the self-adhesive strips (if that matters to you). Just another idea. :001_smile:

oooh, I hadn't thought of that! I found some foam shapes while digging around today, and perhaps I can try hot glueing some of those kind of magnets to the foam pieces. I am just trying to make it interesting to DD and yet fun. I was looking at these but, they are just basically the magnet tape with pictures on them (as in, still flat, not 3-D).

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. If anyone has anything else they want to share, I am all for it!