Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karen in CO

What does your college allow to be included in cost of attendance?

My ds attends a Tokyo branch of an American university, and we have only had tuition and dorm fees in the cost of attendance so far. This year he will be in an apartment, the lady at Sallie Mae suggested that we ask the school to add rent and train cost into the the price. I was curious about what others use for their cost of attendance figure?

My ds attends a Tokyo branch of an American university, and we have only had tuition and dorm fees in the cost of attendance so far. This year he will be in an apartment, the lady at Sallie Mae suggested that we ask the school to add rent and train cost into the the price. I was curious about what others use for their cost of attendance figure?

The Cost of Attendance is standardized for the school - not for each student. Usually there is a COA for commuting different than those who live on campus (and I think possibly yet another for those who live at home.) At least that is how it was 5 years ago.

The COA usually covers books, transportation, etc. as well, so maybe the school he attends is much tighter with their amounts? Most I have seen were pretty generous.