Menu

I can't believe I am admiting this....

TulaneMama

I HAVE NEVER USED A TIMELINE - EVER!!!!:o

This is our 6th year of HSing using TWTM and I have never been able to wrap my brain around the best way to do and use a timeline. Honestly, I think it is my OCD that gets in the way. What if the years are not spaced out properly, what if I forget a year? How do I add in music and Art dates and they do not always correspond th the dates we are studying in history?

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :lol:

I would really like to try a time limeline this year but I need someone to hold my hand. :001_huh: Where do I start?

This is our 6th year of HSing using TWTM and I have never been able to wrap my brain around the best way to do and use a timeline. Honestly, I think it is my OCD that gets in the way. What if the years are not spaced out properly, what if I forget a year? How do I add in music and Art dates and they do not always correspond th the dates we are studying in history?

I would really like to try a time limeline this year but I need someone to hold my hand. :001_huh: Where do I start?

I am CHEAP and also OCD (not officially diagnosed but, ya know...) and I was thinking of laminating something so I could write and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite...

I do not have a "planner" b/c of my OCDness...if it's not perfect or if it changes, I *must* write it over...just a thought

I am CHEAP and also OCD (not officially diagnosed but, ya know...) and I was thinking of laminating something so I could write and rewrite and rewrite and rewrite...

I do not have a "planner" b/c of my OCDness...if it's not perfect or if it changes, I *must* write it over...just a thought

:D:tongue_smilie: me too! I have never been abvle to "plan" things out beyond the usual "We need to finish SOTW4 by XXX" LOL! And I already had the thought to use something laminated as well.

Are you wanting one for the wall or a book? I bought a blank timeline book from Sonlight for each of my kids and we fill it in with pictures from the Homeschool in the Woods CD-ROMs. I've never done a wall timeline before, although I think you can blow up the pictures from Homeschool in the Woods to a large wall size if you desire.

Timelines and I have never agreed very well. However, I do think they are important and my dd14 has even told me that. This Book of Centuries has been the best fit for me. We write people on one page and places/events on the other page.

do you add multiple ppl to one page or print out more pages.

for me, something like this would not help me learn. I need to see things all ladi out in a row. Having to turn the pages presents a mental challenge for me in remembering order :lol:

I know I would prefer a wall timeline and I think DS would too. I can "see" him just standing and looking at it as well as getting excited to make an entry on it.

for me, something like this would not help me learn. I need to see things all ladi out in a row. Having to turn the pages presents a mental challenge for me in remembering order :lol:

I know I would prefer a wall timeline and I think DS would too. I can "see" him just standing and looking at it as well as getting excited to make an entry on it.

We list all the people of the time period on one page and all the events on the other page. So at one glance you can see who all were contemporaries and then all the events that happened during that century. I prefer text to timelines figures so this works great for us.

If you need to see it all in a line, you definitely want something like a wall timeline.

Someone here recently posted about add-a-century timeline which looks very interesting to me. I think it is pricey and I can't quite wrap my head around how to duplicate it for cheap.

http://www.addacentury.com/learn-more.html

There are a couple of short videos on their website showing how it works.

We own a several timelines (a wall one, Sonlight book of time, Winterpromise looseleaf one) but I'm just not thrilled with them. We haven't even really used any of them. Why would I buy another?!? I don't know but I want it.

Edited by blessdmommy

I totally understand where you are. After trying a couple of different wall timelines, and a book timeline, and a scroll we finally settled on mini timelines. We study civilizations individually, but you could do the same thing with different time periods.

I bought this timeline through Rainbow http://rainbowresource.com/product/Blank+Timeline+Templates+%28Set+of+10%29/011940/1249099912-610811

It measures 8 1/2" X 22" with the fold on the top and comes 10 to a package. So, you get two notebook sized pages that are hinged at the top and you can hole punch it and put it in your notebook. It is blank but shaded except for tick marks across and one horizontal line down the middle.

Since there are twenty tick marks, you could make each one be worth 50 years and that would mean each timeline form would be 1000 years. When you finish that time period, just hang it on the wall and begin your next 1000 in your notebook. You could put different civilizations above and below the horizontal mark, or your could color code different civs.

You could hang these in a straight line, or one on top of the other, depending on where you have room.

we use a role of brown paper, it is stuck up on the hallway. I put up a new one each year. we tend to add to it in fits and spurts. mostly I photocopy pictures out of the various history encyclopedia to cut out and stick on. we also write a very small amount of information on it. I really should try to do it more regularly.

One of these days I'm going to buy this one:

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/contact.html

Here is the online interactive:

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

My mum bought us this one (thinking my kids would actually appreciate it, though they didnt). I have tried to do our own timelines many times and its never been successful for more than afew months.

However this one is on our toilet wall and we have all learned a lot from it while having nothing better to do than read it. :)

:o I am so embarassed! I sat for hours creating a timeline that was just right, purchased the timeline figure CDs, and have a curriculum guide that tells me exactly when to place the figures but have never actually used it. The farthest we have got was having DS COLOR one of the figures. I think we will just save everything and wait until next history cycle.?

I received my Add-A-Century-Timeline a few weeks ago and I really like it!

http://www.addacentury.com/

I have enjoyed working on it and have added what we have covered in history so far. It looks very neat and it is easy to see everything on it. Having the different catergories keeps everything from being jumbled on one line (like most time-lines).

The accordian fold is nice when it is stored in the binder but I like that I will be able to pull out the time period that we are studying and hang on the wall.

It is pricey considering it is a kit but I have never seen another time-line like this before. I am really glad that I purchased this time-line and I know that it is going to work well for us. We will use this time-line from now through high-school so I feel that it was money well spent.

Amy

Oh, so apparently I have plenty of company? I can't tell you how many questions on timelines I've posted on another board. Got great suggestions. I have the sewing board that MOH suggests. I've spent hours trying to create my own images in Word & some other stinkin' software. I've daydreamed & obsessed and have just never done it. I am feeling a little more free after reading this post that maybe I can go easy on myself and just get a pre-made one. I think I'll be better off just facing facts -that we may never actually do our own - and at least having something to look to for a reference. Aaaahhhhh--- I feel better now.

This is BAD. I have been homechooling for 22 years now and I too can't wrap my brain around them. Maybe it's a personality thing or something. But I've never been able to grasp it. Nor can I seem to handle any kind of planner either. And I have 12 kids!!:tongue_smilie: You would think putting things on paper would be part of my survival.

Here's a cheap and reusable timeline, http://www.geomatters.com/products/details.asp?ID=181

If we didn't live overseas, I would have ordered this already!

Also I don't know if you doing SOTW, but there's a yahoo group (Hannah's helps) that has free timeline figures you could use. Hope that helps some!

i bought this at our homeschool convention and since we're doing SOTW1 this year, we're going to use the white side ... and i'll put the dates and figures on as we go, along with DS. we're both "big picture" type learners, so i know that the notebooking BOC ONLY type approach wouldn't work for him .... and b/c it's laminated, i can write, rewrite, place, replace, etc ... which feeds my OCD well :) :) :)

and i've got Hannah's helps bookmarked

i suspended ours with magnetic clips and then we have magnetic strips from IKEA nailed to the wall. it's a perfect fit!

This is a homemade wall timeline idea that seems pretty low maintenance. I bought some things to do it, but haven't yet. :glare: It's one I keep meaning to do as it seems the most manageable to me.

http://higherupandfurtherin.blogspot.com/2006/12/our-historical-wall-timeline.html

I like that we can use different colored index cards, so we would do one color for historical figures, another for artists or composers, etc. And it's super easy to insert a card if you find a date/event you want to add.

Guest Dulcimeramy
My mum bought us this one (thinking my kids would actually appreciate it, though they didnt). I have tried to do our own timelines many times and its never been successful for more than afew months.

However this one is on our toilet wall and we have all learned a lot from it while having nothing better to do than read it. :)

Genius!!!

I told my daughters that if they want one, they have to make it themselves. The younger one got hooked on last year on making an ancient history one, and it's a pretty nice one, but after that even she lost an interest in that. :D

They basically simply memorize their years, and reading a lot on history and talking helps them form a perspective around those years. So we haven't found timelines to be necessary.

I went with Veritas Press cards and the CD. I put a string around the top of the room, I clip on the VP cards(little closepins from Staples) and the CD is part of their memory work. Worked like a charm, they know 3 cycles of history and their Presidents. I plan on still doing that this year. But, even though I am doing that, I have a beautiful time line book I will give to my dd and ds (because they are older), they will be responsible for coloring and placing it in as part of their history studies.

:lol: This describes me. I just made our last week. I made a sketch book timeline to go along with Mystery of History 1. The dates do go farther into AD than MOH recommends, though, because we're also doing Year 1 of Bible Study Guide for all ages and I wanted to put relevant dates from that on this timeline as well. I'm going to buy another couple of sketchbooks and prepare the timelines now so they are ready for any dates we decide we need to record (artists or composers).

I bought the sketch book at the end of May and planned to have it ready to go by the time we started school. But I just couldn't do it because I was afraid of messing it up. Last week I finally decided the only thing worse than making the timeline and messing it up would be not making the timeline at all.

:lol: This describes me. I just made our last week. I made a sketch book timeline to go along with Mystery of History 1. The dates do go farther into AD than MOH recommends, though, because we're also doing Year 1 of Bible Study Guide for all ages and I wanted to put relevant dates from that on this timeline as well. I'm going to buy another couple of sketchbooks and prepare the timelines now so they are ready for any dates we decide we need to record (artists or composers).

I bought the sketch book at the end of May and planned to have it ready to go by the time we started school. But I just couldn't do it because I was afraid of messing it up. Last week I finally decided the only thing worse than making the timeline and messing it up would be not making the timeline at all.

I have two sketch book timelines for my older two and they have used them for 2 years. My solution is I try not to look at them much. They fill them in with pictures, dates, etc. and since they belong to them, they can fill them in however they want. Since they are not very crafty, it's pretty bare bones at this point but it does the job.

For this next year, I bought a computer program called "Timeliner XE" from Academic Superstore. We plan on putting facts on there this year for a different view. As my dc's are getting older, we are going to try a computerized version.

I have used a timeline book before, but my favorite way of dealing with timelines was to use 3 x 5 index cards. When she was younger, my dd would color a picture on one side and write the infomation on the other side. (You could probably use printed pictures if you don't have an artistic child.)

One great thing about doing it this way was that when she got a stack of them, we would scramble them up and see if she could lay them out in correct order on the floor. And if we didn't get around to making cards all the time, there were no empty sections in the timeline book to make me feel guilty.

Later on, in highschool, we did a regular timeline book and then glued these pictures onto the pages. My favorite part of this book is still those beautiful little 3 x 5 cards.

I have used a timeline book before, but my favorite way of dealing with timelines was to use 3 x 5 index cards. When she was younger, my dd would color a picture on one side and write the infomation on the other side. (You could probably use printed pictures if you don't have an artistic child.)

One great thing about doing it this way was that when she got a stack of them, we would scramble them up and see if she could lay them out in correct order on the floor. And if we didn't get around to making cards all the time, there were no empty sections in the timeline book to make me feel guilty.

Later on, in highschool, we did a regular timeline book and then glued these pictures onto the pages. My favorite part of this book is still those beautiful little 3 x 5 cards.

Now this is something I could do!!! Addinbg notecards to my shopping list. Thank you! And IF we wanted to hang them up we could use string and little clothespins! PERFECT!!! Thank you!!!!!!

Finally I wised up and gave up the idea of putting everything on a wall. I don't HAVE a suitable empty wall, and I'm not going to get one, am I.

So I bought the program "The Wonders of Old" which lets you print out timeline blanks that you can put into a binder. Much better! And for the mildly OCD among us, such as myself, each page can be printed individually; so if one gets messed up it can be replaced without ruining the entire project. I printed everything on the CD out at once, so as to increase the likelihood that we would actually use this for a change, and got DH to put each page into a page protector in a big binder.

Now whenever DD studies history, I ask her to plot what she is currently studying on the time line, and also to find half a dozen events that she studied earlier and add them as well, since we are playing catch up here. I also ask her to read the binder from time to time to increase her comfort with the dates, and we play "Perspective" every couple of weeks--a gentle way of providing further motivation toward learning the dates or at least the order of historical events.

I am relieved of my vague and persistent guilt by these processes, and DD is actually enjoying this.

Now this is something I could do!!! Addinbg notecards to my shopping list. Thank you! And IF we wanted to hang them up we could use string and little clothespins! PERFECT!!! Thank you!!!!!!

That's a great idea! What I loved about these cards was their flexibility. I feel honored that this method struck a chord with you because there are some wonderful suggestions that have come forth. For me, this was one of those things that, in retrospect, I would have used more extensively.

My dd graduated and I had loaned her timeline book to a dear friend. When my friend recently returned it, my first impression was how much empty space there was in the timeline. My second impression was how creative those little picture cards were; my dd had used richly colored markers for most of them. They brought back good memories.

You can always add the cards to a book timeline later if you ever feel that you must do a timeline. We actually didn't glue the cards in, but just slid them into picture protectors in the proper place. They would probably make great scrapbooking material as well.

One more thing: these cards store well in an index card holder (you can get the long holders if you accumulate a lot of cards). I used index card dividers (like for a recipe box), and labeled them with dates every 500 to 1000 years for BC and then closer increments for AD dates. It makes them easier to store and find them as you progress. Hope this is clear. Have fun!

Edited by Edenjoy

That's a great idea! What I loved about these cards was their flexibility. I feel honored that this method struck a chord with you because there are some wonderful suggestions that have come forth. For me, this was one of those things that, in retrospect, I would have used more extensively.

My dd graduated and I had loaned her timeline book to a dear friend. When my friend recently returned it, my first impression was how much empty space there was in the timeline. My second impression was how creative those little picture cards were; my dd had used richly colored markers for most of them. They brought back good memories.

You can always add the cards to a book timeline later if you ever feel that you must do a timeline. We actually didn't glue the cards in, but just slid them into picture protectors in the proper place. They would probably make great scrapbooking material as well.

One more thing: these cards store well in an index card holder (you can get the long holders if you accumulate a lot of cards). I used index card dividers (like for a recipe box), and labeled them with dates every 500 to 1000 years for BC and then closer increments for AD dates. It makes them easier to store and find them as you progress. Hope this is clear. Have fun!

and yet again you have given me an idea!!!!! We will makie the notecards and then we will stick them in a photo album. The ones that hold 3 pictures (tall) or 6 if you your both sides! This way we can add our own pages, rearrange orders, etc and we can easily see both sides.

I am right there with you. For me, it is a matter of purposing to do the very thing I have avoided. Just start, baby steps, and see what you can accomplish. First you need to figure out what type of timeline appeals to you and the kids. Maybe let them do some research with you and see what sparks their interest and gets them excited.

• 1 year later...

Ok ladies --- my friend had this AMAZING idea. Hope it helps. I plan to do this soon (haha):

Buy baseball card holders. Print your timeline figures for each kid's timeline. Cut them. Insert them in the baseball card holders in order. Then all you all have to do is paste and color. It is the printing/cutting/stopping everything to go do this that makes me not use our wonderful Sonlight Book of Time. I even have the Homeschool in the Woods cd of figures!! Go figure. So this is my new plan for next year.

me too! :auto:

We never did the timeline thing either. I wanted to but the kids didn't relate to it. They felt they didn't need the whole visual timeline activity stuff and that was good with me. ;) It's never been a problem.

We use the Book of Centuries with a twist. I laminated each card stock printed page individually (timeline printed on front & back to save paper) and hole punched on BOTH sides. Then I laid the pages out face up in order & connected the pages with rings (little 1/2" ones from the craft store that open when you squeeze them can't remember what they are called but they are similar to shower curtain rings). It can be used 2 ways: stored in a binder to flip through like a book or opened up & hung on the wall (using the rings & nails or thumb tacks).

The best part is that you can easily add in pages anywhere without dismantling the whole thing AND that you can add/remove figures & dates because it's laminated.

You can make a very flexible timeline with Microsoft Publisher or another layout & design program. Use a landscape orientation for the pages. Draw a line down the middle. To fit everything from Kingfisher you need to allow one page per fifty years (I don't know how SWB thought anyone could fit in all that stuff in the small space she reccommends). Mark off the years. Teach the kids to make textboxes, have them fill in the info from Kingfisher, and draw a line from the box to the appropriate part of the timeline. Use a small font. You can stack boxes if there are many things happening close together. You can use the top for the "old world" and the bottom for the "new world." Print out the page when you have it filled and put it up on the wall or in a binder. If there is more to add later, you can just add it in and reprint the page.