Menu

Introductions Please!! Newbies and Regulars!

Hi! I'm new here but have been using WTM for 7yrs. After teaching several years in public schools, I really appreciate WTM!

My dh is wonderful and we have 3 great dc. Dd12, dd11, and ds 7. The girls take dance, piano and riding lessons.

We live on a small ranch and have cattle, dairy goats, dogs and cats.

Aggie

Is Aggie short for Agatha? I just love that name (someone near and dear to our family is an Agatha) but I hardly every meet anyone with that name.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me: Age 41, Curls

Husband: Age 38, More Curls

Daughter: 3.5 years, Tigger

Daugther: 20 months, Puppy

Daughter: 20 months, Monkey

You know, if I don't spell it out, someone is going to pm me to ask, "Are those your children's REAL names?" :confused:

As you can see from the above ages, as public school graduates we are currently homeschooling ourselves now in preparation for homeschooling Tigger, Puppy, and Monkey in the years to come.

Possibilities: WTM + LCC + CM + __________ = Our HS

What is the blank? Don't know yet, but something is sure to come along.

Let's see -

I graduated from homeschooling 17 years ago after a mix of public and homeschool, there were 4 of us who graduated that year in Colo Springs.

I have been married to my husband, Scott,:001_smile: for 12 years. I have a 10 yr old son in 6th grade and 7 year old girl/boy twins in 3rd. They have been homeschooled all their lives.

We use Singapore Math, MFW (Exploration to 1850) for History, Bible Science and Art, PLL, Abeka English, Rosetta Stone Spanish and Latin, and a smattering of Reading books from Sonlight.

My kids take piano, karate (the boys) and my daughter Irish Dance. We started a FLL (First Lego League) this fall to challenge our oldest.

We live near Boulder, CO.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Jenny, my dh and I just celebrated our 11th anniversary. We live in Littleton, CO and have for many, many years, we love it here and can't imagine living anywhere else. I knew I wanted to homeschool when our oldest was a baby (friends were doing it) and I researched a lot. When I checked out TWTM I knew this was how I wanted to do it. The kids ages and curriculum are in my sig line. We chose to hs because we think it will give our kids a better education. We have other reason, but that is the main one. We are Christians and have been since we were teenagers. I only ventured onto these boards a couple of months ago and now I am addicted.

I love to scrapbook (both real and digital), read and plan. I hate to clean

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm Marty. I'm new to WTM.

We have always homeschooled our kids. I have a dd13, and 11 yo boy/girl twins.

I have a great dh. He is supportive, loving, and a great dad. Loves to go outside and do things with them. So the rule is, if Dad is home, no school! They love it when he's home!

;) My oldest dd 13 is sweet, quiet (most of the time!), but is a lot of fun. She has been taking piano for 10 years tomorrow! (yes, she was almost 4) She loves music, and will spontaneously make up songs as she goes. She loves learning new things on the computer. She knows more than anyone in our family! She's the one who follows her dad around anywhere he goes. Well, they all do, but she more than most.

:p My twin dd 11 is carefree, happy, and sweet. She loves new friends, and loves to write letters and email. She also takes piano (since age 6) and both girls sing with their cousin in church, and all three play the piano. (not at once, lol) This dd loves to bake. Or cook anything, although both dd's are very good at it. The older one loves it in spurts, ha.

My twin ds 11 is a typical boy. Teasing his sisters, etc. He is sweet, with lots of hugs. He can sense when someone feels low. (he takes after his dad in that area) He has been taking karate for 4 years, and is a first degree junior black belt. He takes piano as well. He is so creative in his short story writing. I love to re-read them, and the grandma's anticipate his next story. He is hilarious! He loves making things with his Dad.:smash:

We love playing the Wii. :boxing_smiley:

Edited by Marty

• 1 year later...

This name hasn't been here long. But I am a long time WTM mom. My family has been using the methods for the most part since 1999. I am just getting started back up with two little ones. Trying to figure out what I love and what I don't.

Quince is my wild chid. He is busy and inquisitive. Always moving and learning.

Emma is the quiet child in the corner. But even at 18 months she has almost caught up to her brother. She is scaring me LOL

Doing Sonlight P 3/4 and P 4/5 secularly this year with many things mixed in. Will be starting a more WTM style homeschooling next year.

Hi!

I am a homeschooling mama of 2. My daughter is 6 years old and we're doing Kindergarten. My son is 3 and he wants to do whatever his sister is doing.

We're not using any formal curriculum at the moment, except for TYCTR. A few months ago I was an unschooler. I researched it for 3 years and thought, "that's my path!"), then a few months ago I started getting into CM (LOVE the classics and nature), now I'm reading WTM and loving it! What the heck is wrong with me!? I think I'm eclectic... :tongue_smilie:

I honestly never thought that I would like classical education, never really knew what it was... but I knew it wasn't MY style. :lol: So, I'm so glad I found this forum, I've been lurking for a week and it looks like there are a lot of great minds to pick apart here. I can't wait. :D

Edited by OleanderRain

I'm fairly new to homeschooling as this is only our 2nd year. I have 2 sons who are 6 and 2.5. We're doing 1st grade this year using the curriculum in my signature.

I am a former 8th grade Language Arts teacher and middle school remedial reading teacher with a M.Ed in Elementary Education. It sometimes still surprises me that I'm a homeschooling mom now, but now that we are doing this, I can't imagine taking any other path than this one! When the idea of homeschooling first entered my mind, TWTM was recommended to me by a friend, and I knew immediately that this is how I wanted to school my boys. I also do some Charlotte Mason activities too. I believe the two methodologies work well together.

DH is an accountant in one of the big banks here in NC. He tends to work many hours, but we are blessed with him having a job and how it allows me to stay home with the boys.

We're originally from New Hampshire (southern part), although DH was born and raised in Texas (Arlington) until he was 7. Moving to NC was the best decision (aside from homeschooling) that we've ever made.

I have four boys ages 8, 7, 5 and 2. We are homeschooling for the first time this year, my oldest two attended a private Catholic school until now. I also taught preschool before deciding to stay at home.

Our day is based on the classical model. I am really drawn to Charlotte Mason, but also to traditional Latin centered curriculum such as the CLAA, so I am trying to find a middle ground between the two :001_smile:. I am trying to do a "living books" approach as much as possible. We are currently using SWR, FLL/PLL, WWE, SOTW along with MA and AO reading schedules for history and fine arts such as music and picture studies, MA for geography, PL for Latin, Singapore Math, and plenty of great literature!

Hi I am Melissa, I plan to home school my dd who is currently 10 and 1/2 months old, I have been told she is gifted, although I think she is just a little advanced but not quite gifted. I want to home school to give her a better education then what she would get in the area public schools. My hubby totally supports me on this. My husband and I both grew up in Michigan and are currently living in South Georgia and really really want to move back to Michigan, but as anyone knows the economy sucks there right now (yeah I know it sucks every where but it just seems worse there). I plan on following TWTM and am always looking for secular resources for history and science.

I have been married to dh for 4 years and along with dd, we have a spoiled brat female cat named Bob.

Geez, guess I should do this now that I have lurking here for some time!! I am a 36 year old mother of two daughters, 7 and 12, and am married to my better half of 20 years(I was a baby when we began dating). We are in west TN. We have been homeschooling since the beginning and have always taken a relaxed approach. Life changed for us this year in that my dh quit working in Dec and has started back to school. This has really changed my perspective of homeschooling!! I do not now, nor will ever understand the point of many things that "need" to be taught. I have stayed away from teaching formal grammar(just one example) and have always had the theory that if someone is well read, then the natural progression of things is to know how to write and to speak correctly. I still hold this opinion, but now see the value in teaching it. I am amazed at what my husband is covering in his first year of college! Granted it has been over 20 years since high school for him, and he was never bookishly smart, but it has been a struggle from the beginning. I do not know how much I value furthering education for myself or even for my husband and try to set an example of being content, but I do know that I want my children to have the tools they need to attend college if they should decide to go. Hence ending up on the Well Trained Mind forums!! Y'all are a constant source of information and amusement for me!! All of you have unknowingly encouraged me to go to a more rigorous plan of study, and have even guided me on what to use!!!!! Hats off to all of you!!!!!

We have used a plethora of curriculums/pulishers but our current items are;

Teaching Textbooks

Critical Thinking

Spelling Power

History of Us with various read-alongs

Abeka Science (copywork)

Magic School Bus (copywork)

Writing Strands

Gradually changing over to/adding in;

Rod and Staff English

Rod and Staff Math(2nd grader)

Apologia Science

Latin(still deciding)

Queens (a mile long list)

Writing Tales......

Classical Writing

Edited by luvbnhome2

Since this popped on the first page, I think I'll post too.

I'm a Midwestern gal recovering from a 4 year stint in San Antonio. Dh was active duty air force, and now he is a civilian (and a reservist) back home in Minnesota.

We have four kids - 7yo dd, 5yo ds, 3yo ds, 1yo dd - and have been homeschooling since the beginning. We are fairly relaxed, but a lot of that is dictated by the dc's ages and numbers and life circumstances. :001_smile: In our three years of being official homeschoolers, we had two babies, one Iraq deployment, and two moves. Hopefully we will start having a boring life soon.

I love reading the discussions on this board. Well, the more cranial discussions. I don't really care about where everyone leaves their shopping carts.

:seeya: See ya around!