Menu

Introductions Please!! Newbies and Regulars!

I used to be mjia on the other board. I have 4 dc - 2 girls and 2 boys. We've been homeschooling since ds1 (age 12) was ready for kindergarten. I guess that's about 7 or 8 years. My brother sent me TWTM for Christmas early on and we've been using it since then. We like trains, legos, the 1850's (but only to visit), and books.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been on the WTM brds for maybe 5 yrs? I'm really not even sure. We have 3 dd's - 7 1/2, almost 6, and 4 going on 16. A friend introduced me to the thought of hsing when we couldn't place our dd (almost 4yo) into kindergarten (had to by law be 5 already). I saw yet another year of preschool as a waste of time - so I started working with her at home. I had taught [a high school multi-handicapped class in PA for 6.5 yrs] so teaching "my" kids seemed like something I would enjoy. Plus.... with both of our mothers being public school tchrs - I have inherited TONS of books and school "things" (oh yeah...and LOTS of "advice"). lol

I enjoy gardening but - we are renting so = no garden

I love to read & page thru any type of health / nutrition / exercise type bks

I love to plan & am a big list maker & note taker

Because of the boards:

I am a curriculum & book junkie

I grind grain & love to bake bread

I've made my own laundry soap

etc etc....the list goes on (but that is prob best saved for another post!)

I have been married to a wonderful dh who makes me laugh (going on 12 years this year). We've lived in FL for 7 yrs - just moved to Orlando in August. We have an English Mastiff, 4 surviving guppies, 2 hamsters, and ....dd7 is "researching" snakes/lizards/frogs etc etc - for another pet. We'd love to live in NC - in the mtns or someplace - but...that's just not where the job is!

My goal is to hs the girls as long as we can! (and survive)

Hi, I'm Krista in LA fka kcp. I have been homeschoooling my dd12 and ds9 since 1st grade. We have always followed TWTM as much as we could except for the one year my dd used Calvert. I've been an occasional poster since sometime around 2k.

Besides homeschooling, we are all black belts in TKD (I'm an instructor and dd is a junior instructor), my dd does ballet, and my ds is in Cub Scouts.

I'm enjoying these new boards as I'm learning them, but I do miss some things from the old ones.

I'm LoriM, wife of an active-duty USAF officer who retires this summer (what ever am I going to do with a retiree at home???) and mom to two teen girls. My older dd is a junior at the local university, still living at home and juggling college, boyfriend, and life. My younger dd is a junior in high school, and will start at the local community college in January 2009. I'm an avid quilter and reader, and spend a lot of my free time watching too much television. I work at the local community college in the GED program, and teach statistics at the local university in the Math Education department. I've been here at the WTM Boards for about 8 years.

Aw, Judolops...I'm sorry. :( I like...um...the Olympics...and, and...7Up? Does that help? :D

Um, okay. It's not the same, but it'll do ;).

And an aside...I was just reading another thread, and someone called me Judomom. And I briefly thought "Huh? My name's Judolops." :p.

Hi all *waves* I'm T

I have 5, going on 6 critters. Eldest, 10 yob; Yogurt, 8 yob; Nugget, 6 yob; Doodles, 4 yog and Boo, 2 yob. Yep, only one girl in the mix, thus far. (and yes at times she thinks she's the princess but we don't allow such mentality around here, except by the momma ;) but most of the time she's just 'one of the boys' Oh and no, I don't necessarily *hope* this one's a girl to try to 'catch up' or 'even things out' a bit)

We've been home schooling from the beginning. At first I was deathly afraid of the idea. I *wanted* to, but seriously hated school myself and wondered how on earth THAT would work. But, I felt this was what I was supposed to do and trusted the Lord to equip me. And thus He has.

We follow what I call a 'relaxed classical' style. I *like* the stuff as laid out in WTM, but, it's just too much for me. I follow the chronological idea and grab other things here and there, recommendations, stuff like that. But I am by NO means a hard core WTMer.

Other than schooling I like to spend my time taking pictures. I'm by no means a pro at it, far from it honestly, but, I find it fun. I also like to make old-fashioned soap and homemade bath products, but I've not done so in a while. I like to bake from time to time. And the whole family races BMX. Ok, so the 2 yr old doesn't ride yet..and the 4 yr old isn't on the track yet..but not far. We need to get the 6 yr old up to a 'mini' then his 'micro mini' will go to the 4 yr old girl. But, the 3 older boys, dh and I all have bikes and race regularly. NBL and ABA. Looooooooove it! I've never been a sports kinda gal, but I have finally found my thing. Now if only I could do it well. But, it's gonna be a little while til I can work on that....expecting in May and all ;)

I think that pretty well sums us up.

Oh, unless you also need/want to know that I have given birth to all my children at home and I am also a child passenger safety technician. :)

Here we go: I've been married to a civil engineer for 16.5 years and still in love. I have a 10.5yodd who is very much like me (loves people, life, music, theater, reading, etc) and a 9yods who is very much like my dh (logical, great in math, doesn't like to be the center of attention).

This is my 6th year homeschooling and I work 2 days a week as a teacher in our school district's home-school co-op. I love my job because my kids get to come with me, I get to teach math and other subjects to high-school students (which is what I did before I had kids).

I am a very happy person. I love singing on our worship team at church, reading, organizing, planning, teaching, and I'm starting in on digital scrapbooking.

My parents and my inlaws are my best friends and I feel blessed to live close to all of our immediate family. Life is good.

I used to post as Heidi in OR.

I have three boys: 6, 3.5, and 17 months. Life is a little crazy around here. I've been married almost 12 years to my wonderful dh. He is an IT guy. An out-of-the-box, spontaneous sort of guy to balance out my traditional, routine minded ways. I am thrilled to watch him be an incredible father for our boys.

Planned on homeschooling before I was married, found WTM before getting pregnant with ds#1, been on the boards for over 4 years, and just started 1st grade with ds this month. I am loving it! SOTW is my current favorite. Ds just started reading chapter books. I know we can do this!

We moved to our 'forever home' in the country a year ago, just two miles across the fields from where I spent my entire childhood and where my parents still live. We are in the Willamette Valley, Oregon. I love it here. We have 3 decent cities within 30-60 minutes drive. Mountains and ocean are within an hour. We have four seasons, but without unbearable hot weather or unbearable cold weather. :) It is gorgeous and green! Both of my sisters live within 15 minutes of our home.

Life is good.

I love to entertain, decorate, read, scrapbook, cook and bake... My favorite extra-curricular activity (smile) is my book club.

I am Jenne in AZ, I took out the spaces when I registered here because I thought it wouldn't let me use them. Ooops.

I am homeschooling three kids. My daughter, Bookworm is 9, and reads everything she can find. She also likes to play the recorder and neopets.

My older son, MisterMan, is 7. He likes to build things and run around screaming. He plays piano and Cub Scouts is the highlight of his week.

My little guy, Bunny, is 3. He follows the older kids around everywhere. He likes playing with legos and duplos and would rather not go to the older kids activities.

I am Jenne in AZ. I am old enough to not give an age. I spend my time researching curriculum and chasing kids. I would like to learn how to make a really good loaf of whole wheat bread and how to play chess. We have homeschooled since my oldest was born.

Jenne in AZ

(dd9, ds7, ds3)

Hi, I'm Kristine, I live in Indiana (Go Boilers!) I have three wonderful children, dd will be 10, ds is 8 & other ds is 6! Dh and I will celebrate 13 years in July. I've been homeschooling from the get-go. We have friends that have graduated kids and just knew all along that this is what we would do. I've been visiting the boards for a really long time too.

I am pretty eclectic in our schooling. We are using SOTW, FIAR, lots of read alouds. just a mix of various things.

I enjoy gardening, cooking/baking, reading, spending time on the computer and with family and friends. I really enjoy entertaining (nothing too formal, just a casual get together. In June we went from under 900sqft. house to 1900 square ft. so now I'm actually able to do that. It's been awesome. Anyway, it's nice to put names and faces together and get to know everyone.

Blessings,

Kristine

I'm Colleen, and I live with dh, ds9, and dd7 in eastern Canada (southeastern Canada?). We've been here for 11 years, and married for 13 (previously lived in Ottawa, Canada's capital city). I'm from the States, and before getting married, I served for several years in Youth With A Mission (YWAM), an international missions organization. That's where dh and I met.

I read the WTM when ds was about 3 or 4, and was very overwhelmed by it. I read it again when he was 6 and when I was clueless about how to go about educating him. Instantly I was onto the plan and have been ever since, with modifications here and there. I am SO grateful for SWB's books, teaching CDs, these message boards, you ladies here......WTM has gone from being a mere plan to being more understood by me - the whys and the hows.

I basically homeschool and manage the home. I am contemplating taking up tutoring in reading, since I did it for two years a few years ago. But I'm not sure yet, because I don't want it to overtake the homeschooling. However, it's good money around here.....how do you other classical educators manage school, home, and working at home anyway as your kids get older? Ds is heading into logic stage work next summer.....

ciao.

I am a mom of 7 kiddos ages 12 down to 3 year old twins.

i have been married almost 14 years to a wonderful supportive husband. Good thing or I would have lost my mind long ago.

i am from Minnesota and my husband is from California. I love the outdoors and attribute that to my long wonderful summers being spent at the cabin in northern Minnesota. But I love the beach and the wonderful humid free summers of Ca.

The WTM has been my support group for the last 5 years so you guys are important!!

thanks for all the fun:D

Cheri

I homeschooled for 7 years, took a 1.5 year break, and now am luring the children back home. My 14 yo will come home first, in about two weeks. My 12 yo is already begging to follow him. The other two swear they won't, but....I'm pretty sneaky.

We followed the WTM pretty strictly for much of our first seven years. Now I plan to unschool (except still do the history/literature combination - I love that).

My oldest two have lots of passions to work on, and I'm trusting that things will progress nicely.

I've been on the boards about three or four years now and used to post as Jennifer GWOTW.

I'm also a writer, and we love to travel.

I have 4 dc. One dd is 18 and in college. One is 16 and in 10th/11th grade. One is almost 15 and in 9th grade. Ds is 12 and in 7th grade.

We have used TONS of curriculum over our 14 years. My faves are Apologia for science, R&S and Analytical Grammar for Grammar, TOG and Notgrass for History, our Spanish tutor (best thing I've ever done), and various other miscellaneous things. You were right in noticing that I've left out math. I have yet to enjoy a math program enough to consider it a favorite.

We live on 5 acres, and have had many animals, though we are now down to only chickens for farm animals. I think we're just outgrowing that phase. My dd's horse is retired at my sister's, and I have sold off all of my dairy goats. We have no more rodents, birds, etc. indoors either, only dogs and cats.

I enjoy cooking, reading, gardening, traveling (when we can), volleyball, swimming, visiting friends, and, um, playing Webkinz. I have recently become a vegetarian, though I will admit to eating the occasional seafood (I do live in Louisiana after all), and am really feeling good about the changes we are making in that area.

As far as church, we are Christians currently studying the Catholic church and strongly considering a return to the faith.

Oh, and I just turned *40*.

I'm Jenn (but nobody calls me that- I'm always "Mom/Mommy/Momma; Honey; and my mom says, "Hey Baby". LOL) My dh is active duty Navy, we've been stationed here for almost 13 years. We have 4dc- 13yod, 6yos, 4yod, and 2yod. We've been unschooling for a long time, it's "working" for 13yod- but I'm going to have to introduce more formal math. I'm thinking that I'll start more formal schooling for The Littles too, and then as they get older they can either enroll in outside classes for higher levels or they can do more independent study- whichever works. 6yos is pretty facts oriented- which is a hoot, IMO.

I've been visiting these boards since 13yod was about 5 (wow, that's a long time). I take breaks, and lots of times just lurk. :-)

We're going to be moving to Pensacola this summer, so right now we are in decluttering mode. That should be more than enough info, LOL.

I am shanmar. I live in Alaska, where I was born and raised. I am married to Leny for 17 years, and we own 4 mostly lovely children (I have hope that the 12 yo will become lovely once again). They are Amanda - 16, a sophmore at a local tech school, specializing in cullinary arts; Blake - 14, a level 10 gymnast and a pretty good hockey player; Connor - the infamous 12 yo, he was born into the wrong family, because all he wants to do is hunt and fish, but all we let him do is play hockey and soccer; and Delaney, the 10 yo, who is a level 5 gymnast and a pianist.

I also own a B&B and we are opening a bookstore!

I'm Janet in SC, but I post as Jan because there were a couple of other Janets.

This is our first year homeschooling! I'm married to David, a lawyer, and we have three boys. They are 5, 6, and 7.

We're having a great time and hopefully learning something. We follow TWTM and use an eclectic mix of materials to do so.

The boys love to ride bikes, and have just started BMX. They like video games way too much! I really like to read and try to read a book or two every week. I love tennis! Our schedule has really changed this year, but I still try to play as much as possible.

We enjoy traveling, but never seem to go anywhere very exciting. We are very Episcopalian- 8 ministers in the immediate family!

I just re-started homeschooling. My daughter is in first grade and my son is in second. I also have a 2 1/2 yr old little boy and an 8 month old daughter. I am really excited about homeschooling again. I have been married for 11 years. My husband is also very supportive of homeschooling our kiddos.

We are in our 4th year of homeschooling our 3 kids (8,7,5.) We are grain and cattle farmers on the Canadian Prairies.

I stumbled upon the WTM message boards before I had even known there was a book. That was exactly 5 years ago. I usually lurked on the old boards but I really like this new format so I will be posting more.

I have finally resigned myself to admit that we are eclectic homeschoolers. I have tried so hard to do just the classical education thing but it just hasn't been working for us. So, for now, we do a mish mosh of classical, CM and Waldorf. What a mix. Finally, though, after three years, we have found our fit.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

Hi,

I am Deece and live in MN (in case y'all couldn't figure that out :p).

I have 2 dc: ds is 13 and dd is 11. We have always homeschooled. I have been on the WTM boards since they started, but have never been a big poster. I just can't keep us with y'all!

We have taken a wide and varied path over the years in our hs'ing; from unschooling to classical to everything in between (I think I have adhd).

We are heading towards unschooling or at least a very relaxed, eclectic approach at the moment.

We love reading, playing with the Wii, watching movies and having great conversations.

I love to quilt and my dc and I started taking Judo lessons almost 2 months ago.

I love this board and even when we are not following a classical model, I learn so much here.

Thanks!

After years of lurking on the old boards, I suppose now is as good of a time as any to introduce myself :)

I'm a mom of 4 children:

#1 is 9, female

#2 is 7, male

#3 is 4, female

#4 is almost 3, male

We've been married for 11 years. My husband owns a well known gardening website, so needless to say we are avid gardeners. In my "free" time, I love to cook, bake, knit, read, sew, and anything else that might be fun- not necessarily in that order!

I look forward to participating more now that I've come out of my shell!

~Faithseed

I have been mostly lurking here for about a year now.

I have been married to my dh for 16 years and live in a very rural area of Florida. I am homeschooling my dd (8) and also have a ds (3) who thinks that he must do everything his sister does. I am very involved in our local homeschool group and lead homeschool storytime at our local libraries (volunteer).

I am a former teacher who never imagined or considered homeschooling as an option until I met a wonderful group of women in a MOPS group who were homeschooling their older children. Our dd has been homsechooled since K.

I can't even remember how I found out about TWTM, but remember how I felt when I read it. It made more sense to me than any education theory I had learned in college. We use the book as a guide, but do not follow everything strictly. We do use SOTW and FLL.

We've been homeschooling our five since the oldest was four. One a sophmore in college, one 9th grader and triplets in 8th. We're reformed Presbyterians. Dh and I met in college (Alabama) where we both majored in education.

Married and returned to his family ranch 29 years ago where he raises cattle and I raise horses. We both pitch in on the kids.

We started the classical method when the oldest was around ten or so. I know three mostly lurkers who haven't registered yet, and I've met NutriMom IRL.

I was almost crippled with arthritis for years, now I'm on a miracle drug and rejoicing over my new life.

My name is who I am. I used to go by ToniCW but that's blah. I AM a goth gyrl. I am also the mother to a 15 yr old and 12 yr old, both girls. Married 7 years in June. Dh is a physics teacher at a high school. I used to be Christian, that was ruined for me and I make no regrets about "losing" it. I AM crazy, I am wild, I have fun and am very ecclectic, opinionated, argumentative and well, me.

I am also an artist--some work on my blog, which is also opinionated. :) I've been homeschooling since oldest was at the end of 4th grade, she's now in 10th. 12DD has only ever known homeschooling--she was only in public school for K.

Both are doing 10th grade work right now--videotext algebra, biology, history, english--yada yada. I have no preference in homeschooling books except that it be totally secular, especially my science/history.

Otherwise, I am as I say in my sig. Ask Peek, she knows firsthand. :)

I'm only homeschooling one now - a 12 yo boy. My now 15yo dd went to PS Gr 10 for the first time this fall and is doing brilliantly. Dh works in the computer business - mostly from home but travels to Silicon Valley about once every six weeks. He's gone this week - the coldest week of the year and left me with a dead van.

As for schooling we're doing lots of co-op work right now - Ancient History, Rosemary Sutcliff, quilting, drafting, Oak Meadows Science, Singapore Math.

I'm struggling with the new boards but I guess I'll adjust.

I'm Jennifer. My kids are: Sam (11 - 6th), Andrew (10 - 4th), William (7 - 1st), and Meg (2 next week). We started homeschooling when Sam was 5 and we knew he wasn't ready for school socially or emotionally, but was academically ready. I thought I'd do it for one year! Ha! Sam has since been diagnosed with Asperger's and I'm certain that having him home has made him the neat kid he is today.

I'm married to Steve, an Episcopal priest. We've been married 13 years now.

{Hi Marys echoing in the background:)}

I've been on the WTM boards for about the last 6 or 7 years. We've h'schooled all the way thru (my oldest is 15) with the exception of a brief stint in 1st grade for the oldest. I have been blessed with a wonderful husband of 15 years and three awesome boys, ages 15, 12, and 4.

I have been Mary in CA, Mary in GA, and Mary in ID. With the changing of the boards I felt it was finally time to get a new name; hence, HappyTree.

I love the community that I find at the WTM boards!

I married my hubby in 1997 and we will celebrate our 11th anniversary on Friday! We have five wonderful kiddos: ds-10, dd-9, dd-7, ds-4, and ds-1 (on Thursday.) I have been on the boards since 2001 and have always homeschooled.

My hubby and I met at music school where I was a flutist music ed. major and he was a piano/composing grad. student. We recently relocated from CT to sunny SoCal so my husband can make a go at his life-long dream of composing for film. He is extremely talented. You can hear his music here.:)

I spend my time studying my Bible, doing laundry, reading books to my kids, cooking, baking, and loving my family.

This board has been a blessing to me through the years (in any format!):D

Hello everyone! I've been mostly lurking here for a while now. I have posted once or twice (as LauraF in NC) in response to questions on running, of all things. This is my first year homeschooling -- hence my responses only to questions about running! I have ds 10, dd almost 8, and ds 4 who currently attends preschool but really wants to homeschool with us. Probably because we don't get much done when he's home! I enjoy running, reading, photography, reading, scrapbooking, reading, and did I mention reading? My dh's worst fear is that I'll get a job at a bookstore. And we have the ongoing discussion...he says I need to buy less books and donate some of the ones we have; I say we need more bookshelves. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

I'm Amy, married to Bud for almost 15 years. We have a 9 yo ds and a 7 yo dd who we've always homeschooled. We added a new daughter, Romy, to our family in July! We live in Texas and I love the heat!

Bud works from home, so we get a lot of family time which I love.

I love TWTM and get lots of great ideas and info from these boards. As my oldest moves into logic, we will probably be going into a more LCC style (even though I've yet to read the book, and I'm holding off on buying it until the new edition is out), but continuing our history in TWTM manner. I'll also be bumping up science, as that's "my thang".

I've made a commitment to stay off the computer until after our official school day is over, so I will only be here in the afternoon or late evening.

Well I use to post as MelissaJ but honestly it is too hard for me to keep track of too many screen names and passwords. I have been reading/posting for almost two years although I did take an extended break after our move to MN. I now homeschool just the younger two as my eldest has begun taking classes at the cc near our home. Since moving to MN I have taken up a hobby that doesn't involve trolling for new curriculum; it is the addictive habit known as knitting. I would rather knit than do most anything else. I think that is in part because I can do it while sitting on the radiator attempting to get warm. Also it keeps me from going into the kitchen we are remodeling and crying. *I will never buy a house with out a decent kitchen again no matter how beautiful the hundred year old woodwork is in it!*

Melissa

I was Asil on the old boards, but didn't post often. Let's see...I'm 38, married for 18+ years, live in upstate SC, and have 4 children. They are dd15, dd12, ds9, and ds(2 in 2 days). My older 3 are all in ps this year, but that's a first for me. I know one, possibly 2, of those 3 will be returning home next year (and I'm quite excited about it, I might add).

My current avatar photo is *terrible*, but I did it quickly and after a marathon cleaning session. I hope no one holds it against me. :eek: Hopefully, I'll be able to post more often, but my almost-2 year old keeps me hopping, and we still afterschool, so we'll see.

Lisa

Well My name is Lee and I am a mom to 4 soon to be 5 DC. I am due on January the 26 with a little boy. I am currently HS'ing my 10 yo DD who is in 5th grade, my 9 yo attends PS, but I am not sure he will be there that much longer. I also have a 3 yo and 2 yo DS. We live 2 blocks away from my step DS, who is 9 and attends the same PS as my DS. We attempted a charter school earlier this year, but have switched back to WTM.

Lee

My name is Christy. I have been going by ChristyB in AL for 4 years or so. Before that I was ChristyB in Deutschland, or something like that, while we had the opportunity to live in Germany for 2 years because of dh's job.

We homeschool our two sons, ages 15 and 16. We have homeschooled since the beginning. Our sons are hoping to earn advanced academic diplomas, so they have a lot of work to do. Plus they both are very talented and gifted pianists. They spend a lot of time learning their classical piano pieces. (We have a WONDERFUL teacher from Russia who graduated from the Conservatory in Moscow.) They also play football--my dh jokes that they are the only piano playing lineman etc. he has ever known!:)

Other than homeschooling, my hobbies are reading, scrapbooking, baking/cooking, and trying to find new ways to save money. :D

I haven't quite gotten used to the new format--I like the old format better. But I know I haven't spent as much time here since the switch!

I've been married for 14 years and we have 3 highly energeitic children: dd 8, ds 4, dd 2. One of my best friends introduced me to The Well Trained Mind about 4 years ago. The same friend let me know about the message boards. I've lurked for almost a year. I have really slow dial-up internet so I probably won't post much.

My oldest is in third grade. We use Explorer's Bible Study, Singapore Math 3B, SOTW Middle Ages, God's Design Science (Weather), Italic d, Rod and Staff Grammar, and Writing Tales. We read books from the SonLight and Veritas Press reading lists.

Guest entropy

Love the new boards!

I'm a SAHM of twin (almost) 4-year-old boys. They're a blast.

In my past life I was a 2nd grade teacher but right now I'm getting a M.Ed. in reading.

Married for 6 years

Religion: Agnostic

Pets: 2 German Shepherds

That's it for now, gotta get to class. Br-r-r-r it's cold outside. :(

-Jodi

cross posted from the curriculum board...

I'm Robyn. I've lurked at the old boards from time to time so I figured I would pop in and say hello. I am in southeastern Massachusetts and I have two boys, 9yrs and 17 mos. I've homeschooled my oldest since K, mostly with WTM. I tried to go in a more Waldorf-y direction for a bit but it just didn't work out for us. So, here we are starting from scratch half-way through the school year.:rolleyes:

I also watch my nephew(4) and niece(18 mos) a couple of days a week. The four of them keep me quite busy, esp my tyrannical toddler.

I am pretty new to these boards - we just decided to homeschool DD (4) this past spring, and I have been lurking on here ever since. In the last month or so, I have started posting. Once in a while.

I am also a former teacher/librarian. I never intended to homeschool, but my DH is in the military and we are moving around so much that I thought it would be a great way to provide some stability for her... we will have moved 5 times before she is five years old.

Currently we are living in Oklahoma City (for 6 months) and sometime between April and July, we will be moving to Okinawa, Japan.

We only have one child now, but are hoping for more someday...

Hi! Welcome, Amy, you're in great company here!

Hi, I used to be Yvette in CA on the old boards. I've been married to my dh David for 19 years, and we have 4 academically-average, but very sweet and mostly adorable children: Declan - 12, Duncan - 10, Cecily - 8, and Fiona - 5.

I use a wild assortment of curriculum - right now I am using WP American Story 2 with my 2 boys. We are nearly finished with it and will then move on to Christian Cottage unit studies - For God So Loved the World. My dd8 is using WP Animal Worlds, Pathway readers, Simply Numbers, and R&S Patterns of Nature, among other things.

I am Catholic, but have been attending an Eastern Orthodox (OCA) church lately.

In my past life I was a veterinary technician and I have degrees in plant science (viticulture) and animal health technology. My dh is a computer programmer manager guy with the state government, and a part-time pianist with 2 local churches.

We belong to 4-H (this is our 1st year) and we are enjoying it a lot. The boys are taking soccer, football, archery, entomology, cooking, and medieval history. The girls are doing crafts, cooking, and dance.

We have a rabbit and 2 cats. I enjoy reading, baking, computer time, drinking Coke, bargain hunting, gardening and sewing on occasion, and traveling (which rarely happens). My best talent is solving Cryptoquotes, and I have no talent at all for drawing, fixing hair, or anything that requires coordination.

I found these boards quite by accident when researching homeschooling when our oldest was about 4. I've been a regular reader and a sometimes poster ever since.

I'd say we are eclectic in our schooling, though most of our choices have come through opinions from all of the wonderful people on here. I do use the WTM as a guide, but not all of our decisions are from there.

We have 3 kids: grades 2 and K, and a 1 year old. We are enjoying SOTW 1 this year, as well as Horizons/Singapore and GWG. We also really like the ETC series!

I enjoy music and studied it in college...I am looking for students to start giving some clarinet lessons for some extra money. I also teach the general music classes in our co-op for ages 4-6 and 7-9. This is our first year in the co-op (we moved here just 1 1/2 years ago) and we are all enjoying it!

I also have taken up sewing and trying to learn digital scrapbooking...I love taking pictures and got a new digital camera for Christmas (mostly of my kids!) I made stockings for the kids for Christmas time, and I've sewed recycled wool diaper covers for the baby. I tried cloth diapers with him and found that I enjoy it and it is cheaper!

We have a cat, an aquatic frog, and a couple hermit crabs.

My kids are anxiously awaiting the start of spring Soccer (2 more months), Our oldest just last week joined a tiger cub scout den and is really enjoying it so far! We are finally finding our groove in our new area.

I enjoy reading these boards and have gotten so much help here!

Kay. I'm nearly 50, have a slightly older hubby whom I married merely to have a child, so our relationship is more like friends and business partners than a romance (we'd both had long marriages we were dumped out of and didn't want another romance, no sirreeebob). Kiddo is 5.5, male, tall and physical. His maternal gp's were 94 and 85 when he was born! He was named after my father.

I'm a doc at a very large mental hospital, a challenging and exciting if low-paid medical job. Half the fun is the staff. Many have mental problems themselves. The others range from little English to slimeballs to really grand and wonderful people. I have regular hours, and I homeschool in the late afternoon and evening. Hubby is a SAHD and carpenter and says being a homedaddy is the best job he's ever had. Papa came from a "disadvantanged" background, and getting him used to things like regular dental care and clean undies has been a challenge.

So far my biggest problem with homeschooling is nearly fainting. I keep holding my breath as kiddo works down a page! Watching a little mind unfold is rewarding on many fronts, and since I was never around children (when kiddo was born I had never changed a diaper), this is all new new new to me. I need to hear from others. Hence, here I am!

My new board name is Juls but I've been around since 2001, posting off and on but reading almost every day. I have three kids: 10 yr old ds, 8 yr old ds and a 4 yr old dd. I use the WTM as my backbone for homeschooling and incorporated ideas and curriculum that I have gleaned from the wonderful hive mind throughout the years. Homeschooling is more of an autopilot thing to me now.

Personally I love to yard sale, lead women's Bible studies and recently I am learning that I like to cook.

I go by Sunflower and usually post on the general board (although I lurk at the others). I love the forums since we live in a rural area and these incredibly intelligent people know everything. I have been on the boards since 1999 or 2000 (I can't remember-it has been a while).

I have been married to my sweetheart for 23 years. We have 4 gorgeous daughters. I homeschool the youngest 3. One is in 6th grade and the other 2 are in the 1st grade. My oldest now attends a classical christian highschool.

I love to read, try out new recipes, garden, and learn. I want to learn to knit and play the harp this year.

I am working on figuring out the new boards. Sooooo... when I mess up, forgive me please.