Menu

Some questions RE: CW

OnTheBrink

Will I need a spelling or vocabulary program, too? I was thinking of using Vocabulary Bridges, but is that over-kill?

CW Homer is a lot of work, so I would try to streamline as much as possible. There is a vocabulary element of CW; spelling is included as well, sort of. If your child struggles with spelling you may want a separate spelling program, but I'd skip the separate vocabulary program.

Yes, CW can incorporate writing, grammar, spelling, and vocabulary, just like the LCC approach where Latin can incorporate grammar, spelling, and vocubulary. Even though, I still do CW and Latin along with a separate program for grammar and spelling. The spelling program that I use focuses on vocabulary in 7th & 8th grade, and I'll use a separate vocabulary program as we move into the high school years.

Depends on which books you are getting.

CW Aesop:

Includes one day of spelling work and one day of copywork (dictation later in Aesop B).

I supplement with a separate spelling program since my kids aren't natural spellers and really need it. I didn't use a separate vocab prgm because we just don't do vocab till around 7th.

CW Homer:

Does not include any spelling analysis. It does include a day of vocabulary analysis. Dictation is still one day/wk.

I am still early in Homer A, but my dd still uses a separate spelling program because.. well she needs it. We also have a separate vocab program and a separate Latin program (but life has gotten in the way of these two).

CW for older beginners (or whatever they call it):

This is for older students (I think 8th grade+ just starting CW)-

I haven't seen this one but I would guess that it covers some spelling analysis and vocab analysis.

I don't know much about the upper levels except to say that at some point they will include some review of logic.

hth