Menu

AAS letter a sounds

LilMama

Hi, I have started going through AAS level 1. I am a little confused by the a sound. There is the a sound as in cat and lake. They give an ex. of a third a sound with water. To me, that is the the short o sound. Now, what about words like aqua or all the female names with a at the end. To me, that is more of an ah or uh sound ( I would pronounce those the same). So, what do you do for that third a sound?

TIA!

LilMama

Some programs choose to neglect the schwa sound (unstressed /uh/) and instead fold words with it into other sounds or require the student to pronounce it as the short sound. So 'aqua' would be initially pronounced as /awkwaw/ and adjusted to sound like the real word /awkwuh/. This is meant to simplify what needs to be memorized and encourage proper articulation. I personally prefer to say there is a 4th sound for the letter 'a' -- /uh/.

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

Hi, I have started going through AAS level 1. I am a little confused by the a sound. There is the a sound as in cat and lake. They give an ex. of a third a sound with water. To me, that is the the short o sound. Now, what about words like aqua or all the female names with a at the end. To me, that is more of an ah or uh sound ( I would pronounce those the same). So, what do you do for that third a sound?

TIA!

LilMama

Yes, the third sound IS /ah/, like in father. It is VERY similar to a short o sound, and probably a lot depends on where you grew up. Do you have the phonogram CD? It might help.

Yes, I do have the CD. I have not used it yet. But, I guess I should. It does seem to me that there should be four sounds. So, the third 'a' is /ah/ as in father, ball, water, etc. I think I might teach the fourth sound /uh/, if that's how it should be spelled, since we have two names that end with 'a' in this household. BTW, I grew up on the west coast, but now live in the South! People in the south consider me to have a flat accent, and people from CA consider me to have a slight southern accent. At least I've lost the valley girl accent I used to have...:)

LilMama

Yes, I do have the CD. I have not used it yet. But, I guess I should. It does seem to me that there should be four sounds. So, the third 'a' is /ah/ as in father, ball, water, etc. I think I might teach the fourth sound /uh/, if that's how it should be spelled, since we have two names that end with 'a' in this household. BTW, I grew up on the west coast, but now live in the South! People in the south consider me to have a flat accent, and people from CA consider me to have a slight southern accent. At least I've lost the valley girl accent I used to have...:)

LilMama

A is not the only letter that can take on the schwa sound, the other vowels can too. A schwa sound happens when a vowel sound gets muffled in unaccented syllables. If the short U sound was added to every vowel, it would be confusing, especially to young spellers trying to decide which vowel to use for short u CVC words. Instead, AAS teaches to pronounce words for spelling when the vowel sound is muffled. You'll see this in Level 2 when they have words like cabin, open etc... When we say them quickly, they can sound like cabun, opun etc..., but if we slow down a bit and pronounce for spelling, it's easier to hear the vowel. HTH!

Merry :-)