Menu

How much hs credit for Elementary Greek?

My dd15 is doing Elementary Greek level 1 this summer. It is advertised to be a full year course. However, she is breezing (literally) through it, doing a whole lesson a day (scheduled in the book for 1 week). This takes her an hour if she dawdles. I had planned on 1 credit, but now I think this should only be 1/2 cr. with hopefully level 2 next summer for another 1/2 credit. I would do it during the school year except we do Latin then.

I happened to be browsing the board tonight for the first time in a long time...and I came across my name! I didn't receive an email from you, and wanted to be sure you got an answer to your question, so thought I'd better reply here.

As Karen said, I don't think you could give high school credit for a single level of EG. All three levels of EG cover roughly half of a college/seminary level introductory course in terms of content, though even there I would say there is less work required than you'd expect to see at the higher levels. (fewer exercises per lesson, shorter sentences to translate...) Technically, I suppose, since it covers the content of half a college course, you could award one high school credit for EG 1-3. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable awarding half a credit for covering EG as written, or beefing it up slightly to award the full credit. The easiest way I've found so far to intensify the work in EG would be to assign additional translation exercises from a book like J.A.C.T.'s New Testament Greek: A Reader. This particular reader is heavily glossed and perfectly accessible to a fairly new student of Greek.

I hope this helps. I'll check back on this thread later to see if you have any other questions.

Christine

no more questions. Thanks so much for chiming in! My dd15 is enjoying EG lots and is looking forward to next summer for the next level. On a side note, an older gentleman at swim team (a team member's granddad) is a Greek and Hebrew scholar and looked at my EG book that I had with me one day- he said it looked very complete for that level. Made me feel confident that I'd picked a good one.:cheers2:

I happened to be browsing the board tonight for the first time in a long time...and I came across my name! I didn't receive an email from you, and wanted to be sure you got an answer to your question, so thought I'd better reply here.

As Karen said, I don't think you could give high school credit for a single level of EG. All three levels of EG cover roughly half of a college/seminary level introductory course in terms of content, though even there I would say there is less work required than you'd expect to see at the higher levels. (fewer exercises per lesson, shorter sentences to translate...) Technically, I suppose, since it covers the content of half a college course, you could award one high school credit for EG 1-3. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable awarding half a credit for covering EG as written, or beefing it up slightly to award the full credit. The easiest way I've found so far to intensify the work in EG would be to assign additional translation exercises from a book like J.A.C.T.'s New Testament Greek: A Reader. This particular reader is heavily glossed and perfectly accessible to a fairly new student of Greek.

I hope this helps. I'll check back on this thread later to see if you have any other questions.

Christine

So, if we used EG 1-3, we should be able to read the New Testament? My DS (14yo) is *really* wanting to do that.

Any ideas of what he/we could use as a 2nd year for high school level?

Thanks!

Well, he wouldn't exactly be ready to just pick up the NT and start reading. BUt he would be able to pick out lots of words and constructions he knew. It was pretty thrilling for my oldest son when he got to that point. There is still a fair amount of grammar that needs to be covered to give your student a good reading fluency. Participles are used heavily in Greek, for example, and yet they are not covered at all in EG. However, a book like the NT reader I suggested in an earlier post is a wonderful thing. This particular book has a collection of twelve readings, each a few chapters long, from all parts of the NT. Each reading is further broken down into sections of several verses. These sections each have their own vocabulary list. In using this, we've found that the vocabulary lists are well suited to my students' knowledge levels after 2 or 3 years of EG. For example, participles are included in the vocabulary list and translated for the student, but the student is expected to know and recognize the imperfect and future tenses. We have another Koine reader which I like for the variety of passages, some from the NT, some from the OT septuagint, and some from various non-inspired early church documents. But we've found this much harder to use, because it's vocabulary lists assume a much greater foundation of knowledge than my students have. So far, the JACT reader is my favorite, and if your son is really looking forward to reading the NT, then I would encourage you to pick it up.

As far as what to use next, text wise, that would vary depending on the student. For a high school student who had mastered the grammar presented in EG, I would use Machen's NT Greek for Beginners. I would either lightly skim the first 10 chapters or so and then cover the rest of the book more thoroughly, or I would just start right around chapter 10. I relied heavily on Machen's book when writing EG, so you'll find that the presentation is fairly similar, and it would be pretty easy to pick up at chapter ten. Even starting there, there will be plenty of material which will be review, but it wouldn't hurt to review and skim as necessary. I would aim to finish the book to earn a credit for Greek 2. There are 33 chapters in the book, and up through chapter 17 the chapters will be at least partially review.

For a student just beginning high school,or one who needs a more thorough review, I would use Machen's book over two years, and call it Greek 1 and 2. Alternately, I may use Mounce's Koine text or Athenaze, which is an Attic text. I would not recommend trying to skip any of the material in these books, though, since the presentation and content is so different from EG.

I hope that helps some.