Menu

Niece in foster care update and what's a good present for a 2yog?

Some of you may remember me posting about my 2yo niece being taken into foster care last fall. I won't rehash all the details, but at this point, she is in "stranger care", mainly for everyone's safety, as her mother (my sister) dangerous and violent, and would likely try to come and get her if she knew where she was.

Anyway, a really exciting thing is that her foster parents have agreed to allow me to visit my niece on occasion (they live 3 hours away). So next Sunday, I get to meet her for the very first time! She is the only cousin to my dc on my side of the family.

Here's my dilemna--I want to bring her a present, that will help her remember me. It cannot be a photo, b/c my sister does not know I will be seeing her daughter. But I want it to be something (like a small stuffed animal) that a little girl would like, and could have as a reminder of our visits. It should also be something that is smallish enough that she could take it if she moved to another home, or went back to her mother.

You all here are so creative, I thought I'd ask for ideas. Plus, I only have boys, and have no clue about 2yo girls.

You could always make her a "my stuff" (my stuff bags is something that Dr. Laura used to do) bag. Her own personal bag with some stuff just for her in it -- that no matter where she goes she will have her own bag. Maybe a quilt, a small one just for her.

Get a little backpack and fill it with a homemade fleece blanket (if you can sew a square you can do this - PM me for directions if needed), a soft doll, a touchy feely story book, a little pillow, etc. These are comfort items that are all hers and might lend some security during a period of upheaval. Poor thing. :(

...comfort items that are all hers and might lend some security during a period of upheaval. Poor thing. :(

I fully agree. A soft baby-doll or stuffed animal, crib-sized snuggly blanket and/or pillow.

The bag idea is really nice, and even if she doesn't "take" to any of the comfort items the bag may be useful enough to be around for a long time. Other possible items would be a CD of lullabies or soothing songs. (of course you have no way of knowing whether foster parents will play it) Board books are always nice at that age.

Ask the foster parents what she likes and/or could really use. I think a nice little something--book, doll, stuffed animal, etc. would be great.

As a foster parent, I will say that most foster parents have the child's best interest at heart. They really do care passionately about the child and their welfare. They would likely welcome your call.

Also, ask about any allergies this little girl or anyone else in the home might have.

I asked last weekend what kind of gift I should bring for my 2.5yo niece who is in foster care, that I will be meeting for the first time.

Based on GREAT ideas here, this is what I got:

American Girl Bitty Baby

Blanket for Bitty Baby

Backpack/baby carrier for Bitty Baby

It's perfect because the BB comes with a small stuffed bear and book, and she gets a blanket, too. I really wanted something that would be memorable (and not just another toy). They arrived today, and I'm just ecstatic with them. I hope my niece will be, too. (Shh...don't tell, but I really wanted to play with BB myself! :D)

Thanks!!

I asked last weekend what kind of gift I should bring for my 2.5yo niece who is in foster care, that I will be meeting for the first time.

American Girl Bitty Baby

Blanket for Bitty Baby

It's perfect because the BB comes with a small stuffed bear and book, and she gets a blanket, too. I really wanted something that would be memorable (and not just another toy). They arrived today, and I'm just ecstatic with them. I hope my niece will be, too. (Shh...don't tell, but I really wanted to play with BB myself! :D)

Thanks!!

Very cool! I didn't see your previous thread, but a doll sounds perfect. How fun :D

American Girl Bitty Baby

Blanket for Bitty Baby

Thanks!!

Sweet!