Menu

Do you dress-up every day?

Dress-up..I mean fix hair, put make-up on(if you wear it), put on nice clothes?

Normally, I don't unless I know we are going somewhere. I feel that it is pointless to waist hair products, make-up and possibly messing up my "going out" clothes.

Today, we had an emergency with ds and I had to go out in my around the house clothes(T-shirt and sweats), no make-up and my hair basically just air dried. I know I looked horrible!

What is your motivation to dress up daily?

Heck no! I never wear make up but the extent of me drying my hair is to dry my bangs only the rest just air drys. I have plaid "lounge" pants and solid color tshirts I wear around the house. If I have to go out I'll throw on some jeans but if it's an emergency I could really care less.

Not sure what it is with my personality but I've gotten to the point where I really don't care what anyone thinks of how I look. I don't approve of many of the things people wear now a days when they do "dress up" anyhow.

I do. I'm by no means a glamour queen... most people would say I am quite natural looking in my style, etc. But I do always wear some makeup and try to dress in something other than sweats. Often this means jeans...but I always pair my jeans with decent shoes and a cute top/sweater.

And why do I do this? Because I feel more productive feeling put together. I am not embarrased if someone comes to my door if I need to pop out.

I didn't used to.

I do now. I feel MUCH better about myself, as though I can be somehow more efficient and pull everything together if I've pulled myself together.

The second reason I've redoubled my effort, is that I am somewhat visible to those who DH works with. Their image of ME affects their image of HIM. Even if I don't interact with them, and even if I don't get out of the car, they *do* see me.

I wear comfortable clothes most of the time, but I try to make sure they're neat looking, clean, and somewhat flattering.

Once I got in the habit, it didn't take long at all, and now when I don't have time, I realize what a difference it makes in how I feel about myself.

That's not what I was saying. On the way home I noticed how I looked and thought YUCK. I really don't care what people think about me.

I think it's more for me.. that I know I look nice for dh when he gets home, or if I had to go out at the last minute or if we had unexpected company

I just don't have the motivation to do these things...I use to when we first got married and would never step foot out the door with out make-up, hair fixed and nice clothes.

I don't have any. I don't "dress up" daily. I do put on something that is distinguishable from sleepwear, but there is no hair elaborate make-up routine (read: none), no hair fixing to speak of save a pony tail or a bear-claw clip.

Years ago, my father was having a breathing crisis and had to be rushed to the emergency room. In the midst of his crisis (WHEEZE!), he was adamant that he needed to (HHhhsssppp!) change his pants, that he wasn't dressed (GASP!) properly. There's something wrong with those priorities, imho.

I'm sure you were just fine. Sorry you had an emergency -- hope all is well.

Doran

Okay, there are days I stay in workout clothes and the front of my hair pulled back in a ponytail until we're done with school. But, most days I get a shower, dry my hair, dress in jeans/pants and a sweater/shirt and my Naot clogs/flip flops/etc., and put on a bit of make-up (undereye concealer, powder, mascara, lip gloss). I just feel better and am comfortable greeting anyone at the door and running out if necessary.

Of course there are the days when I'm in my PJ's until bed time. But, those aren't the norm.

~Cindy

No, I don't do what I consider "dress up" any day, basically. Or hardly ever, anyway. I wear foundation. I take a shower and wash/dry my hair as part of my routine of getting dressed daily. My usual uniform is jeans and a short or long-sleeved t-shirt or mockneck, in winter, with a sweater over or a hooded sweatshirt over top of that, for warmth. Dressing up might mean I wear a blazer of some sort, instead of the other, and some jewelry other than just a watch. In winter, I wear various Clarks. In summer, I wear tennis shoes or sandals (appropriate for walking).

I had to dress for too many years for work, so I thoroughly enjoy living in as much cotton as possible now days, LOL......

Regena

I always wear nice jeans or knit pants, and a nice, plain, fitted t-shirt. I always have on earrings, funky watch, funky bracelet. Decent shoes.

My hair is as "done" as a curly girls can be. I always wear mineral foundation, concealer where needed, and powder. Always lipstick. Some days I do my eyes and blush, sometimes not.

I never wear sweats or sloppy looking clothes. I just feel better when I look "done". I never go barefoot either.

Michelle T

I don't dress up but I do like to get dressed most days. Since working on my depression, I realized I don't want my kids to look back and remember me in ratty sweats and stained t-shirts. I can still be comfortable in a pair of jeans and shirt(not t-shirts) and still get done what I need to.

I wear comfortable clothes that I can run out in if I need to and not be embarrassed.

I have also recently discovered the wonder of concealer:D

It's funny , many of my friends don't. I always shower, do my hair and wear makeup every day. I have always been a girly, girly. I love to dress up. I love hair products, I love perfume, all that jazz (needless to say my hubby loves it too!). I am always at my kids games (soccer, baseball etc..) dressed up. My husband knows if he comes home from work and I am not dressed up with make-up on I must be really sick. I think part of it is my Latino culture. The fact that I don't wear heels every day is a surprise to some of my family members..lol

i do dress everyday, yes. i also live in cotton, but it is cute jeans and trendy tops. i like to layer tanks, etc. and wear decent shoes. i don't run to the store in my dh's ratty sweats...sorry. and yes, i use hair product daily (not that there's an option when you have curly hair) and i use a little makeup most days as well. i like to look put together. i function better that way. and my hubby appreciates it so i don't mind! it's nice to hear my 9yo tell me i'm a "pretty mom."

I dress every day. I shower at night before I go to bed and I have short hair, and I wash it at the kitchen sink while the girls eat breakfast. Then, I'm done. I never wear make-up, except for SPECIAL occasions (Christmas Party, weddings etc). My daily attire is jeans, sweater/sweatshirt and gymshoes. If I'm going out, black jeans and clark mules. If I don't get dressed, NOTHING gets done.

I do. I put on makeup (Bare Minerals - foundation, blush, mascara and a little liner, lip cream), dry my hair, and dress well (I think!). Not too much fancy - nice khakis or brown pants with a sweater in the winter. I can't wait for capri and cute spring skirt season!!

My motivation is how I feel. I'm more productive when I'm put together.

Today, we had an emergency with ds and I had to go out in my around the house clothes(T-shirt and sweats), no make-up and my hair basically just air dried. I know I looked horrible!

Ummm......what happened to you today is one of my motivations. I like to be ready in case I need to be presentable. I get up and shower, dress, make-up and fix my hair (all in a casual way of course) each and every day. Another of my motivations is that I feel more in control of my day when I'm ready in that way.

I do. Most days I simply wear jeans and a t-shirt, but neither are of the baggy, frumpy variety.

I also do my hair and makeup every morning.

My motivation is the way I feel when I don't do these things. Is it shallow that looking better makes me feel better? Maybe. But there is no denying it. I feel lazy and dumpy when I wear ill-fitting clothes and leave my hair standing on end for any part of the day. :rolleyes:

I do know. My motivation is that I want to be dressed and ready for anything, not have to go get properly dressed if we decide to go out. That's a waste of time, and it makes me less inclined to actually go to the store, park, or anywhere.

I've also been caught in my 'casual attire' (not wearing a bra!) way too many times. Never again!

Well, I make sure I'm clean and wear things that are clean every day. No make up. I wore it for a while, but whenever spring allergies hit I have to quit and didn't get back to it this year at all. I swore I'd never be like my mother and have to put on my face before going out:) even though my mother is beautiful and I'm more regular looking. My hair is long right now, so I have to spend way too much time combing it, and when I go out I usually put it back unless it's really cold (it keeps me quite warm, I've found).

When we were on holidays I was chatting with someone who said I looked like I belonged in Pacific Northwest (which for me would be south west Canada). Not that everyone who lives there dresses casually, but I knew what she meant.

I didn't used to.

I do now. I feel MUCH better about myself, as though I can be somehow more efficient and pull everything together if I've pulled myself together.

The second reason I've redoubled my effort, is that I am somewhat visible to those who DH works with. Their image of ME affects their image of HIM. Even if I don't interact with them, and even if I don't get out of the car, they *do* see me.

I wear comfortable clothes most of the time, but I try to make sure they're neat looking, clean, and somewhat flattering.

Once I got in the habit, it didn't take long at all, and now when I don't have time, I realize what a difference it makes in how I feel about myself.

This post is very accurate for me as well, so I'll just agree to it!

I have not read other posts, dh asked me early on in our marriage not to wear sweats. I can see now why he asked and I just cringe when I see people out and about in PJ bottoms or sweats. I was actually at a convocation today and another homeschooling family that I know was there and the dad was in sweats. (the elastic waste and ankle kind) Now there are the nicer attractive sweats, but they are still a no go here. I am not the glamor queen by any means, I am usually in jeans & casual shirts, but there are some things that I refuse to wear and I do wear a little bit of make up everyday. There are too many times when dh will call and need me to do something for him that requires leaving the house so I'm always ready.

Kristine

Just wanted to reply again to the op that by me saying I don't care what people think of how I look I wasn't saying that you cared more than you did about your son. After re-reading my post I should have worded that differently.

I'm just not one of those that worries if I answer the door in my plaid pants (they are cotton lounge ones yes you buy them in the jammie dept but they are cute) and a solid color tshirt. I do wash my hair daily as other wise it bothers me but it's longer (about 2 inches past shoulders) so I only dry the bangs and I have a slight wave (that natural and a pain sometimes) so it looks ok if the rest airdrys. I have never found a makeup that didn't make me inch and feel like it wasn't caked on and I even tried bare minerals, better but still not comfortable for me to wear everyday.

I guess I'm just comfortable with myself and my dh likes me this way to, if I'm all dressed up when he gets home (anything more than jeans and a tshirt) he thinks something's up :p

but I try to put on a 5 minute make-up, and style my hair a bit in the morning. This usually involves a quick straightening and wax (5 min). I don't change into nicer clothes until I go out for the afternoon or before hubby comes home. Most times, simply changing from a shapeless t-shirt to something fitted from Ann Taylor (die hard Ann Taylor fan here!!!) and one accessory does the trick! My motto is "Keep the jeans, lose the baggy t-shirt!"

I don't like to feel sloppy, especially at dinner.

I wash and blow-dry my hair every morning, and I dress such that all I have to do is put on my shoes to leave the house (and lately, I've been putting on my shoes, too, because I've been having some problems with my poor feet). The only make-up I wear on a daily basis is mascara, and a little eyebrow pencil, but if I'm not leaving the house, I don't even do that.

I just don't feel right schlepping around the house. Besides, if I dress nicely every day, I can earn a schlepping day ever so often:-)

I do the lounge pants and t-shirt combo thing on most days. If I need to run out, I just throw on my jeans instead. But I always do my face routine in the morning...I think that's because I have always needed to do some sort of skin care routine and the make-up just tends to follow soon after. When I was young it was for acne and blemishes and now that I'm mid-30's it's anti-wrinkle stuff...and for blemishes, still! LOL

I do foundation, a light dusting of powder and blush, earth tone eye liner and a tinted lip gloss. EVERY day. I wear the same plus mascara and maybe darker lipstick when I go out.

would prefer to be in sweats all day every day, but dh really hates sweats. So, on the days we don't go out I usually work out early in the morning. Often times I will stay in my sweats with no make-up on all day. But, I like to clean up before dh gets home. I know that sounds so 1950's. But, in my case it doesn't involve pearls and lipstick! It just involves showering, combing my hair, putting a little mascera on and throwing on some jeans. I know he likes it when I try to care about how I look so I do it for him.

would prefer to be in sweats all day every day, but dh really hates sweats. So, on the days we don't go out I usually work out early in the morning. Often times I will stay in my sweats with no make-up on all day. But, I like to clean up before dh gets home. I know that sounds so 1950's. But, in my case it doesn't involve pearls and lipstick! It just involves showering, combing my hair, putting a little mascera on and throwing on some jeans. I know he likes it when I try to care about how I look so I do it for him.

Your post reminded me of a harried day many moons ago when I rushed into the bathroom, ripped the old tattered clothes off and put on something clean and decent as his (dh) truck came down the driveway - thank God we have a long driveway. :D

I wear makeup everyday - foundation, mascara, something on my lips. My hair is insane, I wash it and let it do it's thing. Anything else is a waste of time because it looks the same no matter what I do. LOL

I don't get dressed up. This is Florida - I would look silly. I do wear jeans that fit and comfortable, but not sloppy blouses or t-shirts. When it gets hot (most of the year) I have a couple of pairs of Bermuda shorts that are "finished" looking and are good with sleeveless blouses or t-shirts (so far my arms are holding up ok). I also have a couple of cute shorter (not mini) skirts that are wonderful on super-hot days.

Later in the evening, I will put on yoga pants and one of dh's old t-shirts. If I'm working on soap stuff (during the day or in the evening) I have my overalls and a few layers of shirts on - very sporty(not), but functional.

In China I also (usually) bath the night before, so in the morning I just wash, dress, brush hair (simple style) and put on my minimal face (tinted moisturiser, powder, tinted lip salve). On days when I walk, though, I often stay in my walking clothes all morning, then shower and dress after lunch. And in Hong Kong I often shower and change clothes more often, as it's so hot and humid.

Laura

My best friend and I went out for dinner this week. I had posted a couple weeks ago about wanting to have more "style" before I turned 40! I wore a cute dress, shoes with a wedge heel (I have a hard time walking from recently acquired MS and use a cane) and wore eye makeup for the first time ever!!!

We had a great time, but on the way to the car it was a huge thunderstorm and flash flood! We were literally drenched. I was falling all over in those stupid shoes bc I'm so used to my Crocs. My eye make up looked ridiculous. We had a good laugh!

I consider myself "low maintenance", however, I do put on makeup every day and dress. I usually wear shorts and a simple top. On days where we go places, I dress up a little more. I don't "pile" the makeup on, but I do feel "naked" without it. I take a shower after I exercise in the mornings, put on makeup and dress presentably. One motivational factor for me is that I like to look good for my hubby. Another is that I just plain feel better when I'm showered and set for the day! (And you never know when you're going to have to be seen by others!)

I dont' wear "nice" clothes everyday. I am fine with jeans and a t-shirt.

I wear make-up every single day always unless I am sick - not tons of gunky mascara type makeup, but I wear the basics. I am one of those women who just looks MUCH better with a little help.

Often I pull my hair into a clip or put it in a pony tail. Somedays I make it look better than others, but I actually think I look nice with it off my neck in a clip.

So I guess I try to look nice everyday, but I think nice can be casual.

I work on looking put together. I'm a curly girl too and my hair hasn't seen a blow dryer in years. Every day I do make sure I'm dressed. I tend towards comfy casual (is that a term?), but try to limit my sweat wearing days to actual workout time.

I do not wear makeup at home, but would never leave the house without it. I usually do a once over in the mirror and if I look like a What not to wear candidate I'll spruce it up before dh gets home.

I do. I'm by no means a glamour queen... most people would say I am quite natural looking in my style, etc. But I do always wear some makeup and try to dress in something other than sweats. Often this means jeans...but I always pair my jeans with decent shoes and a cute top/sweater.

And why do I do this? Because I feel more productive feeling put together. I am not embarrased if someone comes to my door if I need to pop out.

Ditto.

I don't even own a pair of sweat pants, so I definitely don't wear sweats all day. But I never wear makeup. Dh thinks I look much more beautiful without it. I do throw on some lip gloss once in a while, but not everyday. I feel better about myself when I blowdry my hair, but most days it gets to air dry because it's not my first priority. I usually wear a pair of nice jeans or khakis, or occasionally my black yoga pants when we're just around the house. I try to wear a nice sweater or shirt if I think we might go out that day, but I often wear a t-shirt just for comfort if I think we'll be home all day. In the summer I wear gauchos, capris, or skirts most days, but sometimes a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

Aaaaah, I don't think I'm the cute jeans/trendy top shape, size or age, LOL, but I do love to see other moms dressed like that. I'll just pretend in my mind that I'm dressed that way, too.....

Regena

Heh. I went to consignment this past week (in search of a new gymnastics suit for my dd) and tried on a "trendy" top with one of those big V-necks -- the kind I used to love in high school that have come back in style. I found a matching tank to partner with it and was really excited about how they looked together.....

....until I actually put them on my mature body. Let's just say that C-cup and V-neck (with a flared style that looked oh so much like materinity wear on me) do not make a good couple. Clearly, I was not so well endowed in high school. :o

Doran

I have a style that I like to wear that I consider metro casual and have been told that I always look "put together". I guess one would consider that dressed up but it's really no more effort than sweats, it's just what I put on when I get dressed. For make up it's everyday but most days I keep it simple with just mineral viel, warmth, and mascara.