Menu

Us states 4th and 5th grade... im rethinking here help!

ok.. im rethinking what im doing here lol!.

what exactly do i want my kids to know? they know all the names of the states, we have gone over some info about each state as well is where they are on a map. they dont know both of those things 100% ... but do really need to dril it in them or should i move on now to either capitals or more about world geography (which they had at co op last year).

i guess my question is how well do i feel they should know the above? and repeat more and if so... with what? or move on now?

thanks!:lurk5:

what exactly do i want my kids to know? they know all the names of the states, we have gone over some info about each state as well is where they are on a map. they dont know both of those things 100% ... but do really need to dril it in them or should i move on now to either capitals or more about world geography (which they had at co op last year).

i guess my question is how well do i feel they should know the above? and repeat more and if so... with what? or move on now?

sweetsouthern (cool handle, BTW)

I like my kids to know the states & the capitals but also stuff like:

major cities

climate & geography

famous people

important sites/landmarks

agriculture/popular foods

etc...

Things like this seem to stick better than the state flower or bird. :D

We just finished up the New England states. We are studying each region and making a lapbook for each region. You can check it out on my blog. For every state or two if it can be combined we have a dinner featuring foods from that area. This first book was a learning experience. I may change a few things for the second one. The kids have had a lot of fun with it.

I think learning the locations of the states is good. I like to learn landforms: rivers, mountains, Great Lakes. I think it's good to learn names of capitals/ major cities, and something about the "regional culture." Are there any landmarks or famous places there? What is it famous for? Eating regional food is very good. I think learning the postal abbreviations for each state is handy. While studying US geography is a good time to do some work on time zones, too.

My goals are pretty general. I want them to know that New England is famous for leaves in the fall, rugged independence, and lobsters. I want them to know the Grand Canyon is in Arizona and Graceland is in Tennessee. I want them to know Kansas is known for its barbeque and is very flat and grows lots of wheat, that Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota, and Minnessota has lots of lakes. That the Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia, and that New Mexico is largely desert and the Pacific Northwest has the giant sequoias. I dont' know what to call it.....cultural knowledge? I don't care about drilling where each major city is in the state, but when they hear "Seattle," I want them thinking Washington.

I think learning the locations of the states is good. I like to learn landforms: rivers, mountains, Great Lakes. I think it's good to learn names of capitals/ major cities, and something about the "regional culture." Are there any landmarks or famous places there? What is it famous for? Eating regional food is very good. I think learning the postal abbreviations for each state is handy. While studying US geography is a good time to do some work on time zones, too.

My goals are pretty general. I want them to know that New England is famous for leaves in the fall, rugged independence, and lobsters. I want them to know the Grand Canyon is in Arizona and Graceland is in Tennessee. I want them to know Kansas is known for its barbeque and is very flat and grows lots of wheat, that Mt Rushmore is in South Dakota, and Minnessota has lots of lakes. That the Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia, and that New Mexico is largely desert and the Pacific Northwest has the giant sequoias. I dont' know what to call it.....cultural knowledge? I don't care about drilling where each major city is in the state, but when they hear "Seattle," I want them thinking Washington.

These are our goals too. I didn't think about time zones though! That's a great idea! We will have to add that to our studies.

My 4th grader is studying US history this year, so she will be studying the states and presidents as well. I got her a set of cards for each. We're starting with the states. She has to learn the location, state name, abbreviation, capital and nickname. She gets 4 new states each week. On friday, she has a 'quiz' which is a blank map for her to label with state abbreviations. On another page, she has to write the other info for each state. When she finishes memorizing the states, we'll move onto the presidents, but she'll continue to review the states.

There is a game called Snapshots Across America that looks really good - I copied the description from the Love to Learn website below...

I've never found anything more effective or fun for really teaching U.S. geography in a meaningful way! Our children choose and play this game on their own above all other games. The beauty of Snapshots is that all ages can play together, and your knowledge of geography grows by leaps and bounds each time you play. The object of the game is to take seven USA vacations. You can drive, fly, take a train, or a cruise ship—depending on what cards you are dealt. Watch out though, as bad weather or airport closings may block your plans. Players travel from state to state, learning as they go. When they reach their vacation destination, all players learn more about national landmarks and tourist spots from a "snapshot" picture postcard that includes interesting facts. Game includes USA map, gameboard, plenty of picture "postcards," weather and travel cards, 6 plastic cars, and illustrated instructions. For ages 6 and up