Menu

Saxon Algebra 1/2 or 1?

Guest Jan12345

Guest Jan12345

Does anyone have experience with either of these options? We have just finished Saxon 8/7 and are wondering which one of the above to choose. Thanks.

Saxon 8/7 is a Pre-Algebra text. 90+% of the material in Algebra 1/2 was covered in the 8/7 text. This makes Algebra 1/2 the optional 'growth year' text.

If your student finished 8/7 strongly (90% or higher on tests) then they are ready for Algebra 1. If they finished in the 80% range I would review a bit more before moving on--or if you move on do it with caution.

If 'I' had a student who finished in the 85% range or lower I would definately go with at least a quick run through of the Algebra 1/2 text. It is really important to have a strong foundation before moving on to Algebra. After lesson 30 or so the Algebra 1 text gets tough!

• Like 1

I agree with Jann.

I will tell you that I HATED repeating work when I returned to public school and thought my grades of 99 in math on every report card proved I didn't need it. But once I moved on, I honestly believed (and still do) that extra review, solidification of skills, etc was the best thing that could have happened to me.

And my experience with my kids...We've taken an extra year with each of them and though I heard complaints I have NO doubt that they benefited GREATLY. I think they probably agree now.

HTHs,

Pamela

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest AmyCarnation

Jann

We are using Lial' Precalculus Third Edition. Are you recommending that a high school student do every chapter? We are currently only doing the odd problems. We will finish chapter nine this week.

Calculus: What would you recommend for calculus?

Thank you

Amy

I had a dc do 8/7 in 6th grade and she probably was 85-90% but I really felt she lacked the maturity to handle Alg.I in 7th, so we did 1/2 and I am SO glad. I now feel she is solid and ready for Alg.I next yr. in 8th. It just worked well that way for us.

• Like 1

My sixth grade dd is finishing Saxon 87 this month and will go directly to Algebra I because her test scores have been fine and she seems to master the material quite well. I really think it depends on the child-- Saxon does have a lot of review built into the program, so it certainly can work to move right on to Algebra I in seventh grade.

An option that worked well for us is to just do the Saxon 8/7 tests (old edition).

It was an easy way to review, but not get bogged down.

When there was a topic that the child needed help with, we would work the related lesson(s). This way we were only doing the lessons that were necessary.

HTH,