Menu

menorrhagia anyone? (female content)

Anyone diagnosed with menorrhagia? I was last year and am currently on day 23 of my period. :willy_nilly:

I am 35

My periods are very irregular. I'm pretty sure I only ovulate on one side.

I usually have a tiny period for about 5-6 days, skip a month or two, then feel like a raging river for about 7-10 days. Heavy, clotty.

This time, I kind of combined the two. 6 Light days (more than spotting, but still not heavy, clotty or very dark) and now 5-6 HEAVY, 2 light, repeat.

I'm kinda over this.:glare:

Is this normal for menorrhagia?

What has been your longest continuous cycle?

Is menorrhagia a symptom or diagnosis? When I looked it up, it said abnormally long cycles and such, but that doesn't tell you anything about what's causing it. I may have missed that.

Have you been evaluted for PCOS? It's a common problem, though most women will have some of the symptoms, but certainly not all.

"The disorder is probably the most common hormonal abnormality in women of reproductive age and certainly is a leading cause of infertility."

http://www.pcosupport.org/symptoms.php

Anyone diagnosed with menorrhagia? I was last year and am currently on day 23 of my period. :willy_nilly:

Is this normal for menorrhagia?

What has been your longest continuous cycle?

Yep, was diagnosed with this, ended up with a hysterectomy over it...

I don't know what is "normal" but the dr. told me they called it that when they didn't know "why" it happened. My longest cycle was from Dec. - April, (constant period) when I was 42, I kid you not:glare: In March of that year, my hysterectomy was scheduled but it took till the end of April to get in for surgery. Mine had gotten worse over the years and I ended up having fibroids & ovarian cysts, too. But the "Main" diagnosis was menorrhagia.

Yep, was diagnosed with this, ended up with a hysterectomy over it...

I don't know what is "normal" but the dr. told me they called it that when they didn't know "why" it happened. My longest cycle was from Dec. - April, (constant period) when I was 42, I kid you not:glare: In March of that year, my hysterectomy was scheduled but it took till the end of April to get in for surgery. Mine had gotten worse over the years and I ended up having fibroids & ovarian cysts, too. But the "Main" diagnosis was menorrhagia.

They told me this is a symptom of aging (poor ole granny me!) and the hormonal changes in my body. It's dubbed "normal" and nothing to worry about. I try to find consolation in not having every month in a rough way, but man...23 days and I am getting a bit over it.

Dec. - Apr.-----good grief! I can't imagine that! Thanks for sharing, though. At least I know I'm not hte only one.

Did you get tested for any other problems? I am no expert, but I had whole slew of issues with my monthly cycle before being diagnosed with celiac disease. CD is an autoimmune disease and can cause infertility and abnormal cycles (among other things). Six months after going gluten-free, my monthly complaints were nearly gone. For the first time ever in my life, I had 28 day cycles and no more of the symptoms as you described above (heavy clotting, many days of bleeding).

Check out the forums on this site, it helped me a lot a couple of years ago

http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/

Should have thought of it yesterday to tell you. Scroll towards the bottom and there is a section for this.

:lol::lol::lol: my ego sunk when I read the title of the boards...I still (falsely so) associate menopause with being "old"

My self-esteem just took a hit (just kidding)!

Thank you for the post. I look forward to being there.

I'll look into the celiac disease..thank you

What are you doing for the menorrhagia?

I wouldn't just accept it...I would go see a herbalist, traditional chinese doctor or naturopath, and get your whole system checked out.

Doctors will treat the symtpoms of your condition in isolation. A good natural doctor will try and work out why it is happenning (I am sorry, "ageing and hormones" is just ridiculous at your age), and look at what can be done to heal the cause.

You simply dont have to live with it- there are things that can be done.

What are you doing for the menorrhagia?

I wouldn't just accept it...I would go see a herbalist, traditional chinese doctor or naturopath, and get your whole system checked out.

Doctors will treat the symtpoms of your condition in isolation. A good natural doctor will try and work out why it is happenning (I am sorry, "ageing and hormones" is just ridiculous at your age), and look at what can be done to heal the cause.

You simply dont have to live with it- there are things that can be done.

Thank you for the encouragement. I was hoping for some suggestions, thus my post. I'm not really doing anything. This is the first time it has carried on like this. Before, it was more like, a really heavy flow, but never for so long.

I have made some lifestyle changes recently, but I thought they would help. I run now. I eat a ton more veggies.

I am sure my hormones have something to do with it. I can feel my body in uproar. Ovulation headaches. I feel my ovulation on one side and I think I don't ovulate every time on the other. I get sad and grouchy pms now, a problem I never had.

I'd love any kind of natural suggestion for RL people. I do have a few natural healing books to refer to, but always hope for someone who found something before I start with hit or miss.

Any suggestions?

me, but mine is due to a combination of things (super thick uterine lining and fibroids---one is the size of my fist--ugh)

Im currently exploring treatment options since not only am I dealing with a long, heavy flow, but I'm also in pain all month long. The gyn said she recommends a hysterectomy, but Im not willing to go that route at this point (plus Id like to keep all my parts if possible)