Menu

A question about Burkas/Burqas

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to practice refugee law and dealt a lot w/Afghan women who were fleeing their homelands b/c of the strict interpretations of Islamic law. This was when the Taliban were mostly in control of the country (pre-2001). It was heartbreaking the things they suffered (including the women who were killed for sending their daughters to school, women who were savagely beaten in front of their children when their ankles were showing--due to carrying a baby in their arms). I've always been amazed at the lack of outrage of feminists in this country against the treatment of women in Islamic countries. And don't get me started on FMG (female genital mutilation).

As a previous poster mentioned, this was mostly due to the tribalistic nature of the leaders and the perversion of Islamic teachings.

I used to practice refugee law and dealt a lot w/Afghan women who were fleeing their homelands b/c of the strict interpretations of Islamic law. This was when the Taliban were mostly in control of the country (pre-2001). It was heartbreaking the things they suffered (including the women who were killed for sending their daughters to school, women who were savagely beaten in front of their children when their ankles were showing--due to carrying a baby in their arms). I've always been amazed at the lack of outrage of feminists in this country against the treatment of women in Islamic countries. And don't get me started on FMG (female genital mutilation).

As a previous poster mentioned, this was mostly due to the tribalistic nature of the leaders and the perversion of Islamic teachings.

It is a very sad situation for people in places like that. Female circumcision is a whole other tragedy with people denying its existence in countries where it is common. Guess often women get brainwashed growing up to think they have no rights and should have no emotions and (sexual) feelings.

A group of French women want to bring back topless sunbathing for women: "the point of our action is to denounce the ways in which men and women are treated differently. Women's bodies are systematically sexualized in a way that men's bodies aren't." The ways that this plays out in different locations is certainly interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8178818.stm

I for one could do with fewer men in tight jeans and topless women.