Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ereks mom

Dolciani & Foerster Algebra 1 texts -- look for older books (60s/70s), right?

And if these aren't available, get books from the 80s, but not 90s, right? Is this for the Dolciani books only, or for the Foerster books as well? Or have I misunderstood completely??? Are TEs & solutions manuals available for the older books?

We have used Dolciani books from the '90's. I couldn't find TM's that I was abolustely positively sure were the same editions for the earlier ones so we played it safe.....

I do like having TM's for the higher math!

My kids are ridiculously strong in math (all right, brag moment -- it's one of their strengths -- there must be some benefit in having two engineers as parents!).

If the later Dolciani aren't as rigorous, we haven't noticed it! :o

...vary little from 1984 through the latest edition. I used the 1984 edition with my oldest, and the only major difference between that one and the later editions is the removal of the chapter on BASIC computer language and the addition of a few corrections. Even the solutions manuals are compatible with the different editions.

I would look for an affordable copy of the TE and then purchase the student text to match. I'm not even sure that the Solutions Manual is still in print, so if you need one of those, don't worry about matching editions. While there may be a few very minor differences in the different editions, the vast majority of the book will be the same no matter what edition of the student text you buy.

hth

Under His mercy,

LaJuana

If you find a copy of the solutions manual for algebra 2, PLEASE let this board now where you found it!

I have worked through the algebra 2 text with two kids now, both without the SM. The TM doesn't do proofs, so I am definitely getting experience doing algebra 2 proofs, but I would LOVE not to have to do the proofs another two times!

You can get the SM from the publisher, but only at full price. Sometimes I've seen copies on ecampus too, but I just checked and there weren't any.

I doubt this is really what you want, but thought I should post it anyway just in case you want it badly enough to pay retail.:rolleyes:

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index.cfm?locator=PSZ15d&PMDbSiteId=2781&PMDbSolutionId=6724&PMDbSubSolutionId=6732&PMDbCategoryId=806&PMDbProgramId=21023&level=4

If you find a copy of the solutions manual for algebra 2, PLEASE let this board now where you found it!

I have worked through the algebra 2 text with two kids now, both without the SM. The TM doesn't do proofs, so I am definitely getting experience doing algebra 2 proofs, but I would LOVE not to have to do the proofs another two times!

Gwen, I have an extra copy of the solutions manual for a later edition of Structure and Method 2. Which edition are you looking for?

Barb

I would look for an affordable copy of the TE and then purchase the student text to match. I'm not even sure that the Solutions Manual is still in print, so if you need one of those, don't worry about matching editions.

I don't know if you mean out of print for the older books, but the solutions manual for 1993 and later editions is readily available here: http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-Structure-Method-Solution/dp/0395677653/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205120615&sr=11-1

here: http://product.half.ebay.com/Algebra-and-Trigonometry-Structure-and-Method-Book-2_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ2456509

here:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=dolciani&kn=structure+method+solutions&sts=t&x=56&y=16

and possibly here (I've never tried to buy a solutions manual straight from McDougal Littell, so don't know if they will give you a hard time...but it looks like it may be the cheapest way to go):

http://www.mcdougallittell.com/store/ProductCatalogController?cmd=ProductDetail&recordReference=212922&nextPage=McDougal%2FProduct.jsp&division=M01&frontOrBack=F&sortEntriesBy=SEQ_NAME&sortProductsBy=SEQ_TITLE&hierarchyID=1005500000030774

I'm pretty sure we tried to use a 1980's solutions manual with the 1999 book and had a really hard time because things weren't matching up. I would go with a later (post 1993) edition, just to be on the safe side. There is nothing wrong with the later editions...in fact, I own both of them and I've posted about them in the past month. I prefer to use the newer edition and keep the older one on hand for clarification, although this isn't strictly necessary.

Barb