Menu

Guitar (ie., high school electives)

Hi,

DS really likes his guitar and has taught himself to play quite well. I am looking for some sources for a comprehension "music theory" and "music appreciation" plus "music instruction" guitar course. Anyone have a publisher, writer, or curriculum for guitar that does that?

Cathy

We can use for a systematic guitar course, with music lessons?

If your child learns guitar or some other instrument, what is a common content, scope, and sequence for a typical music instrument course???? What should it include?

Music Ace is a good online program that is self-teaching. If he goes through a book like The Enjoyment of Music he will get both music history and music theory, but that might require more effort on his part since it isn't just guitar, so it might not hold his interest as easily.

We have a book called Chord Chemistry but that would be too much for someone who is essentially a beginner in the world of music theory.

You might have to consider music theory a separate course. I know there is a music theory AP course. My son has been taking lessons a long time and is blessed to have a teacher who gives him theory as he goes along, so that the theory can be practiced. You don't really need an integrated program. As your son learns with any music theory class he will apply it to his instrument. With an understanding of music theory he'll also be able to compose music as well.

I took a semester of classical guitar in college and used Frederick Noad's First Book of the Guitar. Its description:

An extremely thorough beginning method, First Book is the best choice for young beginners. It is available as an omnibus edition which contains three parts. Part One deals with the notes of the first position, and music reading and counting up to the eighth note. Part Two covers new keys and scales, the technique of slurs, and simple and compound time signatures. Part Three explores dotted notes and more advanced counting, syncopation, dynamics and tone production. Each part contains a repertoire of attractive solos and duets drawn from the guitar composers, together with arrangements of Spanish and other folk themes.

Be careful, though, if he's going this route... he might need a guitar teacher to make sure he's not learning bad habits as he goes along. My son's guitar teacher spent the whole first few months making sure my son's hands and wrists were just so. Now my son is glad he did, because of that initial training he is in a position where faster, crisper playing is possible, no matter what the style, and he isn't crippled by tension in his plucking hand or immobility in his fretting hand.