Menu

How do I make a college trip fun for my 12 yo?

TravelingChris

We need to do a college trip for my soon to be 11th grader. Since we are military and my dh has a rank where we average only 19 months before moving, we need to combine a trip to Jacksonville Fl (for dd's drivers license) with college visits. Some things I am already doing is visiting a National Park, going to see the Atlanta Aquarium, and probably driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Shenandoah National Park on the way home. But we are still planning some sort of visit or driveby to 8 colleges. At least two of them will be drive bys. THe other six may be pared down by one or two or may end up not having college tours and information sessions at each. I will have dh, both girls and myself but only one car so I am not sure how much we can split up. I know that I have the Congaree National Park for my dh and the youngest will like that too. I need to locate a military battlefield also for dh and/or a NHS site. That may be another boring thing for dd12.

For the longer information session and tour days, either you or your husband can stay with your older daughter while the other parent goes elsewhere with your younger. Just decide to meet back at the Admissions office at, say, 4:00pm.

For shorter events, your younger daughter might enjoy exploring the college bookstore (if money is no object, let her pick out a pencil, pen, postcard, or notebook) and the grounds (look for all the neat statues, etc.) I don't think it would be too onerous a way to spend a few hours. There's always bringing a good book and hanging out in the campus library or the student center.

Enjoy the tour!

Regards,

Kareni

Actually I talked with dd12 and mentioned how one college has a dual engineering degree with another nearby college and she decided she does want to visit there. So I will probably have her go on the tour and then head out with dh to someplace else when we have the info session and interview.

My 12 yo came with us last year on several college visits. He attended the info sessions and all the tours and enjoyed them. I think it helped him to see what might be in store for him in 5 years or so, and he got to see what big brother will be experiencing this fall.

During the evenings, we let him pick the restaurants, and we also stopped at a local Toys R Us so he could pick out a new Bionicle toy (his favorites). I also made sure we had a book for him to read and let him know that he was always free to open the book and read during the info sessions if he felt the need.

He really enjoyed the trip, too, and it was interesting to hear his thoughts about some of the schools.

Brenda

Kennesaw Mountain is where the Atlanta Campaign began and it's a nice place to visit. Your 12 year old would probably enjoy hiking up the mountain and seeing the view from the top. Or just hanging out at the bottom...I recall there is a small creek in the woods and it's a cool place to rest.

It's not far from Atlanta, and if you're taking I-75 north of Atlanta it's pretty easy to find.

http://www.nps.gov/kemo/