Menu

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger promised... right to Homeschool

:::Gloats::: Ahhh it feels so good to be right...

Seriously though, I did tell you this would happen. But I'm not gloating or anything

You said there was no need for the ruling to be appealed because the way you saw it, it didn't affect homeschoolers who filed their own R-4. You never said you thought the ruling would be stopped, only that it was irrelevant.

Either way, right or not--your Governor has everyone's best interests in mind. He's not going to let this go by because it means that his kids will suffer as well.

If his kids were homeschooled how would this affect his kids?

You said in the other thread that no homeschoolers needed to worry at all, in your opinion (as long as they were filing their own R-4). So how could this affect someone positively who was homeschooling, if it wasn't going to affect them negatively to begin with?

If his kids attend private school, how would this affect his kids?

The ruling did not say that private schools had to now have credentialed teachers. It specifically singled out homeschoolers filing as private schools.

Aaaaah man GothicGyrl you're letting me down. ;) You don't know about SB777? It's a bill that went into effect here that allows those kiddos that feel transgendered to go into any bathroom that they want! In all schools, private or otherwise.

Ahh that--well, I'll just shut my trap right now then. ;)

Because I had read interviews they did in which they did specifically refer to use of tutors.

Actually, one was a print article and one was on Oprah and I couldn't even tell you which was which so I'm obviously not that current. I stand corrected.

It is possible that throughout their homeschooling years they have done plenty of both. I was pretty sure that it was Will Smith that said he and Jada teach them about "life" and a tutor comes in for the facts and figures.

It could easily have been someone else though. I'm not a big celebrity watcher and it was not recent.

Marie

Don't worry--I could have them backwards as well. I don't celebrity watch either, I just read when it's in front of my face.

If his kids were homeschooled how would this affect his kids?

You said in the other thread that no homeschoolers needed to worry at all, in your opinion (as long as they were filing their own R-4). So how could this affect someone positively who was homeschooling, if it wasn't going to affect them negatively to begin with?

If his kids attend private school, how would this affect his kids?

Well, if I am using the same scare logic as others have, I could say that if he homeschooled, then it would negatively affect him because he'd be subject to his own law. And if he private schooled and as some feel this opens the doors for it to affect private schools, then he still would be negatively affected because then he'd have the only other option all us "normal" folk have--public school.

Therefore, it is in his best interest to do as the public decries because whether or not he homeschools or private schools is no longer an issue, the issue is that his kids will now have to be educated in a normal public school regardless of how he educates them and he isn't going to like or want that.

And this is only if the cries of "but this opens the door for other types of regulation" are true, which I don't believe they are.

sdWTMer--don't lose your optimism. As I said, I never thought this would amount to anything in the first place and now that you've got the Governor involved, it's either going to stop completely or be fixed.

These people are fools if they think that only homeschoolers would be affected. If a judge can legislate from the bench to take away MY rights, he can come after YOURS next. What about your choice to send your kid to a private school? What about the rights of a private school to set its own pathway? I will put this in the most global sense I can: You want your kid to go to an atheist/Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/your belief here/school. If a judge can legislate like this, he can say ALL schools must teach (copy/paste above religions). You still happy?

In Tennessee we are fighting potential legislation that would have ill effects for homeschoolers and private schools. So, yes, you are correct, it is not only homeschoolers who must stand strong.

Marie, This is what I read one time too. Someone sent me a link about Will Smith homeschooling, so I showed my husband and he was pretty quick to point out that he doens't actually 'teach'. They have someone do the teaching for them. This was about a year or so ago, so things may have changed and of course I don't know exactly where it was.

I went from being shocked and worried yesterday, to having peace and faith about this issue today. Next week, California will be handing out thousands of pink slips to teachers who may be layed off in upcoming months in order to deal with budget problems. Whoa! How on earth would California have room for an already overcrowded school system, with even fewer teachers on board? They'd have to build more schools and with what money? Requiring homeschoolers to re-enter the school system is really not in the best interest of the state---which could very well be why our governor is supporting homeschoolers and homeschooling. Another thing, schools here (and everywhere) rely heavily on substitute teachers, who are not required to be credentialed. (I'm qualified to be a substitute!) Private schools also have many uncredentialed teachers. So if our children are only to be taught by credentialed teachers, there will be a whole lot of teachers, who teach at brick and mortar schools, who will also have to hit the road. This would not fly! It would backfire! And what about the public charter schools that are funded by our tax dollars? They would be affected by this too! I'm confident that the dust will soon settle over this ridiculous court decision and something that was sensationalized by the media---yet again! One more thing, my wonderful, retired, still credentialed, AP English teacher/neighbor asked me about this homeschool hoopla this morning and we chatted a bit about it. He then told me that he'd be happy to sign anything or help me in any way if I needed to have a credentialed teacher back me up. How cool is that? I highly doubt that will be necessary, but it sure feels good to have a kindred spirit right next door backing us up! Don't worry fellow home teachers, I'm sure the lights of our Golden State's homeschools will continue to shine! As someone on these boards advised me yesterday, be concerned, but don't worry. Oh yeah, and pray! All the best!

I went from being shocked and worried yesterday, to having peace and faith about this issue today. Next week, California will be handing out thousands of pink slips to teachers who may be layed off in upcoming months in order to deal with budget problems. Whoa! How on earth would California have room for an already overcrowded school system, with even fewer teachers on board? They'd have to build more schools and with what money? Requiring homeschoolers to re-enter the school system is really not in the best interest of the state---which could very well be why our governor is supporting homeschoolers and homeschooling. Another thing, schools here (and everywhere) rely heavily on substitute teachers, who are not required to be credentialed. (I'm qualified to be a substitute!) Private schools also have many uncredentialed teachers. So if our children are only to be taught by credentialed teachers, there will be a whole lot of teachers, who teach at brick and mortar schools, who will also have to hit the road. This would not fly! It would backfire! And what about the public charter schools that are funded by our tax dollars? They would be affected by this too! I'm confident that the dust will soon settle over this ridiculous court decision and something that was sensationalized by the media---yet again! One more thing, my wonderful, retired, still credentialed, AP English teacher/neighbor asked me about this homeschool hoopla this morning and we chatted a bit about it. He then told me that he'd be happy to sign anything or help me in any way if I needed to have a credentialed teacher back me up. How cool is that? I highly doubt that will be necessary, but it sure feels good to have a kindred spirit right next door backing us up! Don't worry fellow home teachers, I'm sure the lights of our Golden State's homeschools will continue to shine! As someone on these boards advised me yesterday, be concerned, but don't worry. Oh yeah, and pray! All the best!

See this is what makes me sad and totally backs up my "I fit in nowhere" thing-- I said all of this yesterday and was quickly shot down and dismissed!

Why?

See this is what makes me sad and totally backs up my "I fit in nowhere" thing-- I said all of this yesterday and was quickly shot down and dismissed!

Why?

Toni...I appreciate your input! I don't always agree with your opinions (CA homeschoolers are still not out of the woods yet) but there is nothing wrong with with open, honest debate. I for one, think your comments make the boards interesting...far out there as they are...just kidding! :D

Tiffany

Why?

I had to go back and completely read through this thread after your latest post quoted here. (I was surprised that my thoughts mimicked so many others here.) I'm thinking, GothicGyrl, that your comments may have been dismissed yesterday because (a) You're not from California, so some may have thought, "It's easy for *her* to say don't worry!" (b) You were "gloating" about your comments being "right" which some may have found annoying and © The sarcasm in some of your messages may also annoy some people. I *am* from California and this *really* freaked me out yesterday. I was so shook up by it, that I couldn't concentrate on much of anything yesterday and I became very very irritable. It wasn't until I researched, read, watched the news, visited msg. boards, and prayed that I was able to really think through this stuff and find peace about it. Some folks on these boards might quickly blow off and dismiss my comments too. Who knows? That's the nature of these boards. We have to agree to disagree, but one thing is for certain, we are a homeschooling support group---albeit an online one and that alone makes you fit in! We all have our idiosyncrasies, GothicGyrl, so pick your chin up! Some of the others may not have liked your comments yesterday, but *I* did. You were one of the people who helped me to pull myself up by the boot straps yesterday...And that, my dear, is worth a positive rep point in my book ;) All the best!

Why?

First off, you don't fit NOWHERE. Secondly, I read your post and didn't dismiss it, just didn't post. Now, while you and I disagree on many things (not all, because as we covered in a different thread now I'm sure to read your posts) you have to admit you add sizzle to the conversations. Where is a real discussion if everyone always agrees?

I just read a book I have very mixed feelings about, but a great point made near the end, and I'm paraphrasing this very badly becuase it's in the van to go back to the library, was that a lot of good conversation has vanished because people spend so much time holed up in places on the web where everyone agrees. The book is a memoir called Truck: a Love Story by Michael Perry. The context of this had something to do with politics and I read this very, very late last night (early this am, is more like it.)

So, without people with divergent opinions, where's the great conversation? Where's the stimulus to think outside our regular box(es)? It's not likely I'm going to ever agree with things you say in many areas, but it sure is interesting to have you aboard, whether I like your comments (sometimes I do) or not (sometimes I don't). But, and take this kindly, don't worry or get so irritated if this happens--it always happens to those who march to the beat of a different drummer. Part of their life. Can't tell you how many people I have irritated IRL--I''m speaking from experience here.;) Perhaps on the board, too, and it's made me sad before, but what can I do? Become someone I'm not?

So good to chat with other CAs! I don't tend to get offended easily and am usually a steady-eddy. But I must say that my first reaction was very mother-bearish. I was very angry at the audacity of the court. I had been helping my husband study for his political science comps for his Ph.d. and the history of the courts was one the areas he worked on. Knowing the history of how the court has operated under the Marshall court to begin with--in which the Supreme Court saw itself as using judgment and never WILL--to the 50s/60s when the court intentionally began seeing itself as a social engineer using WILL with no objective document (the Constitution) to base any judgment on anymore....it was very interesting timing.

I don't know what will happen, but I do think that the outrage around the country has been very helpful to us. I sincerely hope the court ends up embarrassed, if this is possible, and will be set back quite a bit. This is needed. For those of us who intentionally place our confidence in God--who is good and wants good for our lives (and the lives of our children)--I think we have reason to be confident that He will grant us our request.

Of course I disagree with what is happening in California, but did Mr. Long really have to say "ain't gonna?"

"A credentialed teacher ain't gonna come and educate my child for free," Long said. "I pay property taxes every year so that children can have an education in the public school system, including my children, but I choose to take on the expense and added pressure and time to educate my children on our own."