Menu

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger promised... right to Homeschool

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/07/INCHVG0SD.DTL

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger promised today to ensure that parents have the right to homeschool their children, after a state appeals court ruling severely restricted the practice in California.

"Every California child deserves a quality education and parents should have the right to decide what's best for their children," the governor said in a statement. "Parents should not be penalized for acting in the best interests of their children's education. This outrageous ruling must be overturned by the courts and if the courts don't protect parents' rights then, as elected officials, we will."

An estimated 166,000 children are homeschooled across the state.

The ruling by the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles said all

children ages 6 to 18 must attend public or private school full-time until

graduation from high school or be tutored at home by a credentialed teacher.

There is no specific allowance in state law for homeschooling, the court said.

Many homeschooling parents register as a private school with the state, a statusthat does not require credentialed teachers. Then they enroll their own children in their school.

The court ruling, issued Feb. 28, appears to restrict such practices, setting a precedent that could lead to parents being prosecution for truancy.

How are you feeling about this issue? I'm in California too and I have to admit that my feathers have been ruffled by this. I'm trying not to over-react, however. What trips me out is the fact that our state is supposed to be so liberal and laid back, yet it has always been so hostile toward homeschoolers. Crazy!!!! My ds is registered with an accredited school (ISP) plus I have a BA in Liberal Arts and I've passed the CBEST, so I'm actually qualified to substitute teach in public schools. This makes me feel better, but I was two classes and a semester of student teaching away from my earning my teaching credential when I graduated from college. I'm angry, worried, and in a bit of shock after learning about this, but again, I don't want to over-react. How about you and any others reading this thread feeling? Do you think the dust will soon settle on this since our Gov. Schwarzenegger is in support of homeschoolers? The HSR forums have several threads about this going. One says sign the HSLDA petition and another says don't. Sheeeesh! What to do?! Packing up and moving to a more homeschool friendly state is easier said than done.

I've been reading the comments on these linked articles. I had no idea there were so many people out there that were so hate-mongering against homeschooling. I'm astounded. Someone please tell me these people are in the minority.

I was disturbed by that, as well. :eek: Such rabid commentary makes me all the more thankful for the support I have, both on these boards and IRL.

Just wanted to share that we are praying out here on the east coast!! I have been following this story closely, and we listened to the Focus on the family broadcast while in the car today and my dd's were shocked that this kind of thing was going on. We are resolved to pray for homeschoolers nationwide, as well as for Californians specifically.

Thanks to all for sharing so many posts and links to make the story easy to follow.

These are annoying times, and they require action, but I don't think that they are dire.

After all, we know Who is really in charge.

And, as good classically inclined homeschoolers, we have all heard that "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

So we have two things to do. These are pray, and act.

And we have one thing not to do. That is worry. 'We are perplexed but not in despair'--right?

I don't mean to belittle the circumstances or the very real concerns that they raise. I'm not cavalier about this. But I also know that worrying about them won't help the situation and will hurt my family, my homeschool, and me. So I'm trying to stay positive and not to worry.

I find it humorous that the anti-homeschooling comments are mostly by people who have absolutely no clue what homeschooling is about. The comment about how someone is ticked that they don't want their tax dollars supporting uneducated home schoolers made me laugh out loud. I wonder what percentage of welfare recipients were homeschooled? LOL

I find it humorous that the anti-homeschooling comments are mostly by people who have absolutely no clue what homeschooling is about. The comment about how someone is ticked that they don't want their tax dollars supporting uneducated home schoolers made me laugh out loud. I wonder what percentage of welfare recipients were homeschooled? LOL

And what about all of us (and private schoolers) who pay for all of the uneducated public schoolers? Not to mention state correctional facilities! :eek: LOL I can't help but saying this... these people need to get out more if the only homeschoolers they've met are being supported by their tax dollars!

Hey Julie...I wanted to use that line from Harry Potter!:D Brilliant!

p.s. How do you put a quote from someone else's post in that box above?

Tiffany

Just press the Quote button in the lower right hand corner of my message box or whomever you want to quote. That was funny, eh? ;)

How are you feeling about this issue? I'm in California too and I have to admit that my feathers have been ruffled by this. I'm trying not to over-react, however.

Thanks for asking. :) I am pretty optimistic. I don't believe that homeschooling is going to be illegal in CA and I don't think it currently is. Depending on one's perspective (of which I have read quite a few at this point) there are various ways to look at it. It is far from over in the court system, but I don't think the end result will be that CA parents have no options to privately homeschool.

A possible result may be that we have more restrictions placed upon us like other states do or that we may not be viewed as private schools. While I am not crazy about that, again I don't think we will lose all homeschooling rights. I would prefer that the court equate us by established case (similar to TX) to private schools so that there is no longer a question.

I too am trying not to over-react, but to also be proactive. I have joined HSLDA and I am not sorry to have done so. While I don't always agree with their ways, I appreciate that they believe fully in what we do and in the rights of parents to privately homeschool their children. I want that right to be secure.

I also believe that God is in full control of the situation and that none of this has caught Him off guard. I am grateful to know that He loves my children far more than I ever could and that He will bring about His will for their lives--and for ours. I must rest in His strength. I do struggle with my own ruffled feathers, but I continually return to His grace for me. He is our refuge.

Thanks again for asking. It is a funny place we find ourselves here in CA, isn't it! :)

After all, we know Who is really in charge.

And, as good classically inclined homeschoolers, we have all heard that "The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

This was a great post, Carol! It is so nice to "see" your face when I read your posts from having met you in person! :)

I love the old adage, "Don't borrow trouble from tomorrow." I think this can certainly be added to your wonderful quotes above. :)

Humourous, perhaps, but it's not in the least bit suprising to me. Ignorance is a very powerful fear motivator, IMO.

:::Gloats::: Ahhh it feels so good to be right...

Seriously though, I did tell you this would happen. But I'm not gloating or anything ;)

In any case, if the Guvinator is speaking out against it (you did know that he and Shriver homeschooled, right?), then as I said, you will be safe.

;)

What trips me out is the fact that our state is supposed to be so liberal and laid back, yet it has always been so hostile toward homeschoolers.

I was homeschooling in Sacramento over 20 years ago and no one bothered me -- or cared what we were doing. Has something changed since then? We haven't lived there for over ten years.

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed -- most of the posts in this thread have such a small font, I can't read it.

I was homeschooling in Sacramento over 20 years ago and no one bothered me -- or cared what we were doing. Has something changed since then? We haven't lived there for over ten years.

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed -- most of the posts in this thread have such a small font, I can't read it.

I've always heard from other homeschoolers in CA that our state is hostile towards hs'ers and this recent drama about the court ruling really cements the hostility issue to me.

Seriously though, I did tell you this would happen. But I'm not gloating or anything ;)

In any case, if the Guvinator is speaking out against it (you did know that he and Shriver homeschooled, right?), then as I said, you will be safe.

;)

How do you know? Is there an article you can link us to?:)

;)

I had no idea that our Governor homeschooled his kids. When? How did you find this out? I never knew this!!

Using a very rough "back of the envelope" calculation, if all homeschooler entered the public school system and an average school holds about 300 children.....each school district in CA would need to build 2-5 new schools. California homeschoolers, ask yourself if that would fly with the local tax players. I'm betting that the Governor has done a more detailed analysis and has come to the conclusion that protecting your rights is the best thing to do for California.

Guest Virginia Dawn
Using a very rough "back of the envelope" calculation, if all homeschooler entered the public school system and an average school holds about 300 children.....each school district in CA would need to build 2-5 new schools. California homeschoolers, ask yourself if that would fly with the local tax players. I'm betting that the Governor has done a more detailed analysis and has come to the conclusion that protecting your rights is the best thing to do for California.

I'm wondering if there really would have been any major problem at all, if all this hoopla had not started.

After all, if Will Smith homeschools his children, my guess is he and other influential names would fight for the right in the state of California. :) ;)

Now it seems to me as though the homeschooling community has put up its dukes and said, "Oh yeah, you wanna fight?" Even though I can understand the emotion, it's almost embarrassing. I hope we don't get pounded.

I'm wondering if there really would have been any major problem at all, if all this hoopla had not started.

Only speculating here, but I don't think CA would have used the ruling to try to force a mass movement of homeschoolers into the public schools. But I do think there probably will be isolated incidents of school officials and courts using the ruling to force a family here and a family there to stop homeschooling. I think if I were in CA, I would feel like it's a hammer waiting to fall, and I have no idea when someone going to try to drop it on me and my family.

Will the backlash be counterproductive? I hope not! In NC, the legislature tried to sneak through a bill that basically would have put homeschoolers under the supervision of the public school system rather than the Dept of Nonpublic Education. Homeschoolers started calling and emailing their representatives, and within 48 hours they backed down and changed the proposed bill. I wish it could be that easy in CA, but unfortunately I think the political environment is much different there. :(

The celebrities that homeschool their kids can afford to bring in the credentialed tutor for their children. I've read articles about Will Smith, Kelly Preston/ John Travolta, etc. and they usually stipulate that they aren't actually doing the teaching but that they have tutors in the home. So this wouldn't effect the wealthy like it would the rest of us.

Marie

Only speculating here, but I don't think CA would have used the ruling to try to force a mass movement of homeschoolers into the public schools. But I do think there probably will be isolated incidents of school officials and courts using the ruling to force a family here and a family there to stop homeschooling.

Yes... and by looking at past cases, the instigator in those isolated incidents would probably be a disgruntled relative or neighbor.

BUT, as I read more about the situation, the less intimidating it seems. I fully expect that homeschooling will come out of this stronger than ever. :)

Until then, I can't say I'm 100% comfortable. But not overly worried.

These people are fools if they think that only homeschoolers would be affected. If a judge can legislate from the bench to take away MY rights, he can come after YOURS next. What about your choice to send your kid to a private school? What about the rights of a private school to set its own pathway? I will put this in the most global sense I can: You want your kid to go to an atheist/Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/your belief here/school. If a judge can legislate like this, he can say ALL schools must teach (copy/paste above religions). You still happy?

Whether or not people like homeschooling, they are stupid to think that this is about homeschooling.

I'm not fear-mongering here; not trying to stir the pot. It's just so frustrating to see people so gleeful to see rights taken away from others, especially from the bench!

That is all.

(PS. I haven't followed a lot of this on radio or on the web, so please feel free to correct me if I am misunderstanding something here.)

I'm totally agreeing with you, and your words brought the following to mind...

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist; And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist; And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew; And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up." Our rights today...their rights tomorrow. :(

The celebrities that homeschool their kids can afford to bring in the credentialed tutor for their children. I've read articles about Will Smith, Kelly Preston/ John Travolta, etc. and they usually stipulate that they aren't actually doing the teaching but that they have tutors in the home. So this wouldn't effect the wealthy like it would the rest of us.

Marie

I agree. There's no way we can depend on a few celebrities to come in on our side if there's a fight. It would be nice if some did, since that would be a good publicity move (unless it's a crazy celebrity like Tom Cruise), but I wouldn't bet on it; they're not generally doing the same sort of thing that we are.

Just a minor nitpick--your two examples (and the reason I quoted them)--Smith and Travolta--actually do the schooling themselves. Will Smith said in his Parade interview that the only time they use a tutor is if he and Jada are off filming seperately on different corners of the earth, otherwise he and Jada do the schooling, with a tutor coming in once a month to check on the kids.

Travolta was less open than this, but he did state that Kelli Preston does most of the schooling(and since he's scientology, you can bet they "help")

;)

No, they don't homeschool. The Schwarzenegger children attend private schools in Brentwood.

That's news then because the same Parade magazine that interviewed Smith also had a list of some people who did homeschool and they were on it.

Either way, right or not--your Governor has everyone's best interests in mind. He's not going to let this go by because it means that his kids will suffer as well.

;)

However, as someone who actually *lives in California, the news that the same Governor and Legislators, who passed and signed SB 777, want to get involved in *my homeschool...NOPE, sorry, this news actually makes me more uneasy.

However, as someone who actually *lives in California, the news that the same Governor and Legislators, who passed and signed SB 777, want to get involved in *my homeschool...NOPE, sorry, this news actually makes me more uneasy.

I don't know what SB77 is, but he didn't say he was "getting involved", he said that everyone had the right to teach their children as they saw fit and he wasn't going to take that right away.

Aaaaah man GothicGyrl you're letting me down. ;) You don't know about SB777? It's a bill that went into effect here that allows those kiddos that feel transgendered to go into any bathroom that they want! In all schools, private or otherwise.

That's news then because the same Parade magazine that interviewed Smith also had a list of some people who did homeschool and they were on it.

Either way, right or not--your Governor has everyone's best interests in mind. He's not going to let this go by because it means that his kids will suffer as well.

Well, I'll have to take your word for it's being news, though it's not to me (I have to confess, I'm not a Parade Magazine reader). To be specific, they attend Brentwood School.

Because I had read interviews they did in which they did specifically refer to use of tutors.

Actually, one was a print article and one was on Oprah and I couldn't even tell you which was which so I'm obviously not that current. I stand corrected.

It is possible that throughout their homeschooling years they have done plenty of both. I was pretty sure that it was Will Smith that said he and Jada teach them about "life" and a tutor comes in for the facts and figures.

It could easily have been someone else though. I'm not a big celebrity watcher and it was not recent.

Marie

I'm hopeful this will settle itself out. The Child Welfare people went after this family because they abuse their kids, not because they're homeschoolers. The intent was to help the kids not come down on the HSer community.

What's *probably* going to happen though is that Califonia laws will be more specific on HSing and that'll be worse than it has been since all you had to do before was declare your house to be a private school. That was pretty nice, now that they're readressing the issue, it can only get worse. Hopefully not too bad since the governor is fully on our side.