Menu

Eyebrow tweezing and daughters....

So dd12 has been making some comments lately that she isn't happy with her eyebrows. They are rather thick, but not "unibrow" or anything. They could stand to be neatened up, I guess.

Those of you with hairy dd's, when did they start to tweeze? Or do they wax? I've waxed my brows, and honestly, I find it far superior to tweezing.

I"m not sure whether to continue to ingnore her comments, or respond with an, 'Oh, they're fine; really! You look lovely!" as I have been, or to say, "Okay, want to do something about it?" She's not really concerned with body image or her appearance so for her to say something about her brows means to me that she must be uncomfortable with the way they look.

So....when did you cross this bridge? And by what method?

Thanks for any advice!

Astrid

Astrid,

My dd (12) started getting pretty hairy when she was around 10. When she turned 11, I let her start shaving. It was very thick and black and embarrassed her.

She is just now starting to make comments about her eyebrows. I told her it was up to her to pluck or not. She is a little afraid of the pain, so she has not done it yet. I think 12 is an appropriate age to start grooming a little more.

I can remember being 12 and laying my head in my mothers lap so she could tweeze my eyebrows. Others might be able to tell you if it is a "suitable" age or not, but I needed it done at that age, so I think it is up to you to decide when she is ready.

As for tweezing or waxing... I would tweeze her first to see how she does with it. For me, it was terribly painful. I have very thick hair and extremely long folicals, and while that combination makes for great strong and thick hair on my head, it is awful to pull hairs out of my eyebrows one by one. I quickly switched to waxing at age 13 and haven't looked back since.

Also, my eyebrow hair grows long and then kinda curls/curves at the end, so they (person at the salon) always comb up the hairs and trim them with scissors. If she doesn't need them shaped then this might be a good alternative to get some of the thickness gone.

I have a dear friend who does my hair and eyebrows in exchange for piano lessons for her son. She agreed that my 13 yo dd really needed eyebrow grooming, so we started waxing last year (when she went to school -- it gave her a little boost of self-confidence).

The only drawback is that there is a brief point between waxings where it is actually more noticeable -- where the hair has *just* started growing back in and it looks a bit stubbly. Other than that, I don't see any real negatives. If dd goes a long time between waxings (life happens!) it just goes back to looking as if she didn't groom -- it's not like it makes it grow back thicker or different.

I think having a professional waxing to start, and then tweezing to maintain, with waxing every six to eight weeks is a good compromise -- not so costly as having it done every three to four weeks but still enough to keep everything in line.

My 12 year old is very sensitive about her eyebrows. She's started tweezing them, but she isn't doing a very good job, and they don't look so great. I think I'm going to let her get them waxed, even though I am not thrilled with the idea.

Edited by Perry

If you think it's ok to start having her groom them, I'd have her get them waxed in order to establish a shape that she could then maintain with tweezing. I think a lot of girls over tweeze, and that tweezing is hard when you are starting from "scratch."

My eyebrows were thick and they didn't have a great shape, but I didn't begin any eyebrow grooming until I was 15 or 16. At that point, I started having them threaded.

That said, I'm not sure what age I would allow eyebrow grooming if I had a daughter. I want to say I'd wait until she's at least 14, but I guess it would really depend on how self-conscious she was feeling about it.

My DD13 has very thick, prominent eyebrows as well, but tweezing hurt too much and she said she'd rather just grow a unibrow! :eek:

We bought a product from Avon called Skin So Soft Facial Hair Remover. I think it was $5. It comes in a little tube with a small hole in the top (almost like the liquid Blistex or Lip Gloss) so you can actually apply it and shape the brow at the same time. It works great, no pain at all and doesn't smell awful like Nair or Rave.

Sometimes it leaves a couple of stray hairs, which I'm trying to get her to be brave enough to pluck, but it's better than before. Doesn't help with the fullness, but at least we can shape the top and bottom, and get that pesky area between the brows.

Personally,

If your daughter is a responsible girl who is uncomfortable with something, why would you NOT want to help her with that. When my daughters express a problem, I work with them to fix it. When they came to me about shaving their legs, I didn't look at their age as much as I did their motivation.

Michelle

I allowed my daughter to start getting her eyebrows waxed when she was 12. It did provide a nice shape that we could somewhat maintain with tweezing, but she has very hairy eyebrows and sometimes we did go back to a professional. Recently, she and I both got our eyebrows threaded. My daughter thought that threading was less painful than waxing.

When they have a problem with it, it is time. You can tell her that you think she is lovely just the way she is, but if it bothers her you will help her.

I agree. Also, I would go with waxing over tweezing. I'm 46 and I remember how painful it was for my mom to tweeze my eyebrows. Even to this day, tweezing is very painful. I would much rather have it done in one fell swoop than one painful bite at a time. Also, a professional wax job can make a nice line for her to just maintain.

At least she came to you first with her concerns. My dd11 (who generally is not that concerned about her appearance) decided a few months ago to try plucking on her own. When that hurt too much she opted for scissors. :eek: It made us both really glad we homeschool because I can only imagine the teasing that would have occurred at a school. It took a couple of months them to look normal again. After that experience she seems to be content to leave them alone for now.

Personally,

If your daughter is a responsible girl who is uncomfortable with something, why would you NOT want to help her with that. When my daughters express a problem, I work with them to fix it. When they came to me about shaving their legs, I didn't look at their age as much as I did their motivation.

Michelle

Why would I NOT want to help her with that? Well, because clearly, I"m the world's worst mother! Sheesh! Thanks for the confidence boost. :glare:

I think perhaps I wasn't clear--- since dd is homeschooled, I just really want to know if lots of other 12 year olds have tweezed/waxed eyebrows. I don't want her to stand out-- either too hairy or too sculpted, you know?

Astrid

Can she start with an eyebrow brush to neaten her eyebrows, and if that's not enough, maybe you could trim them? (see below) And then if that's not enough, try waxing (or threading--I saw that done once, and it went really fast). I just brush mine.

Also, my eyebrow hair grows long and then kinda curls/curves at the end, so they (person at the salon) always comb up the hairs and trim them with scissors. If she doesn't need them shaped then this might be a good alternative to get some of the thickness gone.

So dd12 has been making some comments lately that she isn't happy with her eyebrows. They are rather thick, but not "unibrow" or anything. They could stand to be neatened up, I guess.

Those of you with hairy dd's, when did they start to tweeze? Or do they wax? I've waxed my brows, and honestly, I find it far superior to tweezing.

I"m not sure whether to continue to ingnore her comments, or respond with an, 'Oh, they're fine; really! You look lovely!" as I have been, or to say, "Okay, want to do something about it?" She's not really concerned with body image or her appearance so for her to say something about her brows means to me that she must be uncomfortable with the way they look.

So....when did you cross this bridge? And by what method?

Thanks for any advice!

Astrid

We haven't gotten there quite yet, but it's looming on the horizon. DD9 inherited that particular trait from her father's side of the family :tongue_smilie: - that lovely unibrow look. It's not too terrible at this point, and she's not self-conscious of it yet, but at some point it will have to be taken care of. It probably won't be for a couple more years, and then I'll see how she feels about waxing. I think tweezing is way more painful, so I'm hoping an occasional wax will do the trick.

My DD is 9 and has very thick brows with a slight unibrow going on. I recently plucked in between them to make them 2, but havent done anything with the shape or thinning out of them

and the poor thing has a lot of dark hair on her upper lip....to the point that other kids comment. So I need to figure out what to do about that

Why would I NOT want to help her with that? Well, because clearly, I"m the world's worst mother! Sheesh! Thanks for the confidence boost. :glare:

I think perhaps I wasn't clear--- since dd is homeschooled, I just really want to know if lots of other 12 year olds have tweezed/waxed eyebrows. I don't want her to stand out-- either too hairy or too sculpted, you know?

Astrid

Nah. You started the thread in the first place, so I'm fairly sure you're not the world's worst mother. You're probably a pretty darn good one for listening to your teen's comments in the first place.

My dd started tweezing her eyebrows when she was 12. They were thick without much shape. I helped her with them for a couple of years. Now, she helps me with mine.:blush:

Do what's comfortable for both of you. Just whatever you do, don't let her do it herself at first. Tweezing or waxing? Personal preference. I've never tried waxing my eyebrows but after reading the glowing reports here, I may have to try it. However, after the bikini wax post, I'm a bit squeamish. :D

I agree with the posters who suggested getting it done by a salon. I had both of my girls start with salon waxing when they were about 12 and I stood over and watched after clarifying to the beautician that we wanted a very natural look appropriate to their age. After that is was up to them to maintain it. As they grew older they both ended up going with a much thinner brow than I allowed at 12, but it is fitter to their young adult faces now.

My dd is 11 and we started waxing a few months ago. She was born hairy...what can you do? When another hs friend started commenting to her about her unibrow and lip hair we dealt with it -- she was ready.

After the first initial salon eyebrow and lip wax I've maintained it at home for her with the wax strips. Every few months I'll take her to the salon to get it done professionally.

HTH!

I agree with the posters who suggested getting it done by a salon. I had both of my girls start with salon waxing when they were about 12 and I stood over and watched after clarifying to the beautician that we wanted a very natural look appropriate to their age. After that is was up to them to maintain it. As they grew older they both ended up going with a much thinner brow than I allowed at 12, but it is fitter to their young adult faces now.

:iagree:Make sure its a good salon, perhaps make it a mom/girl outing. Also, make sure they have aloe in the wax, if possible. This will cut on sensitivity after. Perhaps ask how long they have been an esthetician. Not cosmetologist. No offense. The longer, the more experience.

They should get enough hair off a 12yo in the most three rips. If you see more than that, I would have them stop. And ask for no tweezing. If they have thick brows, just those three lil strips will make a diff. Than if they have to get a lil more, do it gradually. The first time might hurt.

Signs to watch for, if have not been before.

1. Clean area, does she have everything set out neatly, does the pot look clean. If not dont return.

2. After she rips(no other way to put), does she apply pressure immediately. This helps relieve the pain.

3. She should not have to redo areas, at least for kids, adults different.

4.Does she apply post salve or ointment.

Does she give post instructions, like ice for swelling, or anything to watch for, for allergies to product.

If none of these are done, dont retun, go somewhere else next time. You want to make sure the girls have a clean, safe environment and most of all feel comfortable. Otherwise they wont go back and having mom tweeze each hair is not fun.

Oh, I have my moments, believe me. :glare:

Ahhh...the infamous bikini-wax post! Haven't thought of that in a long time, but wow--- it makes me laugh all over again just thinking about it! :-)

But don't be frightened by that--- eyebrow waxing is a breeze, compared to tweezing, IMHO.

Thanks for your thoughts,

AStrid

Astrid

Sorry,

I didn't mean it the way it sounded. I wasn't thinking of you specifically, I was thinking of any mom who's daughter was looking for help with a problem. That said, I have 4 daughters, and when my two oldest were ready to shave, I gave them lessons. When they were ready to pluck, I do it for them.

Michelle

PS Sorry again.

I often see young girls out in public who have very thick brows or unibrows and think to myself, "Why doesn't her mother help her with that??" Few things can be as quickly diminishing to the appearance of an otherwise lovely young girl. As soon as YOU notice, take care of it. Now I'm not saying put a thin sculpted brow on a child. I just think that if a dark, think, overgrown brow is the first thing anyone notices about your kid's face, then trim them up. :001_smile:

Personally,

Michelle

I tried to address why someone might not in the thread I started on girls.

I think there is nothing wrong with a little brow upkeep at this age, like other posters I remember time in my mom's lap...as she.... as gently as she could... tweezed my brows. :crying: (it was a little paingful at first) Only from the bottom and using some basic guidelines. I still have pretty thick brows, but they are under control and I like that they are more Audrey Hepburn instead of Greta Garbo!

If my daughter brought it up to me I would tell her that I didn't think she needed to pluck and she was perfect and beautiful without styling them but that if it was bothering her I would show her how.

A warm washcloth on the eyebrow area beforehand helps the pain.

I don't know. I have never waxed or plucked,but my dd does have thick eyebrow. Some kids have already made fun of her "uni-brow." I wouldn't know how to help her. It doesn't seem to bother her yet. The other day, another homeschooled girl (I thought she was the nicest girl around before this) told my dd (10) she was fat and had big bxxbs. I am not ready to deal with all this. Aack!

If it was my dd at that age, I'd help her out and try plucking some for her. With leg shaving or eyebrows, if it's something that they are uncomfortable about, I allow it regardless of age. Dd shaved at 9 because she asked and I told her it was no fun but I would let her. Make-up, bras when not needed, etc., those are different to me than shaving or eye brow plucking.

My DD is 9 and I expect we will be crossing this bridge very soon. She has very thick, bushy eyebrows and has made comments about liking mine better. I have mine waxed by my hairdresser on a regular basis. We use my waxing as a bribe to get my sensory kid to get his haircut. He gets to put the strips off:eek:.

One thing I have found after many, many years of waxing my unibrow, is I no longer have one. My brows are much thinner naturally now, so much so that I only have to get waxed about every 3rd month.

I would recommend waxing or threading as the pain is over with much quicker. My 10 yr old neice is having her's waxed now because children in the PS made fun of her. She's been using Veet on her legs for 2-3 years now due to the same thing.