Menu

Apologia Astronomy users...just how "easy" is it?

Sue G in PA

We're doing this next year as a part of the MFW Rome to Ref. package. My oldest will be in 7th and I had planned Apol. General Science, but in order to be able to combine her and ds9 in 2009-10 I'm holding off. Plus she could use another year of a gentler approach to science as she hasn't had a bunch. Anyway, she'll be doing Apol. Astronomy w/ us and I've heard it's the "easiest" Apol. Elem. book. I wonder, does anybody have any ideas how I could "spice it up" for my dd? Any supplemental books or acitivites I could add to make it a bit more "meaty" for her? I don't want to bore her or short-change her. She's very bright and could do Apol. Gen. next year, but she really isn't a "sciency" kind of kid. Any suggestions? TIA

I just received Astronomy in the mail yesterday. My dd is 7, not in the 7th grade. I plan on adding Greek and Roman mythology for the planets and constellations. I would supplement with DK Eyewitness, library books about specific plants or stars and lots of experiments. Janet Vancleeve has a book of gravity experiments. Maybe combine it with some chemistry? Research the rocks, minerals and gases the planets and stars are composed of and how that affects their colors. Research biographies of famous astronomers past and present. Write a paper why she believes Pluto should or should not be a planet. Study Latin. The Apologia Astronomy has a section on sunspots that is really interesting. Maybe research a paper on sunspots and climate change on earth.

Just some thoughts,

Michele B

It is easy to implement, but there are plenty of advanced topics that you could delve deeper into (example - they briefly explain how and why we see color - you could have her do more research into light/vision/diagram the anatomy of the eye/refraction/light waves etc). In the chapter on the earth, she could read a biography of Newton and delve into deeper learning about gravity. I am using it this year, and to make it more involved for the 7th grader I would just add additional readings about the topics, and of course you could add other experiments. Also, the notebook work can be more involved by assigning copywork, further research, or a lapbook if you want. If you want to see my list of additional experiments and readings, pm me with your email and I will be glad to send it to you.

I termed the Elem Apologia Astronomy book as the "easiest" in another post, but that's because I think botany and zoology are extremely advanced due to the terminology used in these books. Astronomy is "easier" compared to the other books in the series because of the more familiar language that the book uses. With that said, I think you could use the Astronomy book for a 7th grader. There are older student exercises that I would require in addition to all of the experiments. The reading may be a little on the light side for a 7th grader, but you could supplement with another book to beef it up. I had my boys read Astronomy and the Bible by DeYoung.

I'm not doing any formal science with my 7th grader next year because we are more language arts focused in the grammar/logic stages. I don't see any value for us in a general science program. My son will read Zoology III on his own once it's available, but that's because the Elem Apologia series has created in him a passion for science. We will focus more intently on science and history in the high school years.