Menu

Abeka vs. Rod and Staff for 4th grade

CarolynD

I'm sure you all have had this question before. I'm really struggling choosing a writing curriculum for my 4th grader. I have already purchased Abeka Lang. Arts but the more I read about Rod and Staff Lang Arts, the more I'm thinking I should send Abeka back. Does Rod and Staff really have more writing than Abeka? Will this solve my need to supplement Abeka with a different writing source? By Rod and Staff offering more writing does this mean creative and reports or is this referring to the fact that the lessons require copy work? Last question: If I do go with Rod and Staff, should I go back to 3rd grade because they are suppose to be advanced? My daughter came from a great public school but I'm not sure how they compare to placement with Rod and Staff.

Thanks,

Carolyn

We're using 4th grade Abeka Language A (as seatwork & review) AND Rod & Staff English 4. Last year we did the same with grade 3 and my dd, 9, did wonderful. Abeka has a lot of review and seems to reinforce skills more than Rod & Staff and I see my dd using the puntuation and capitalization rules in her everyday writing. The grammar part of Rod & Staff is excellent and we use their book as our main part of daily lessons. The 4th grade Abeka language workbook has several sections that are dedicated completely to writing and I believe Rod & Staff is more copywork, with a few writing lessons. If I had to choose just one, I would use Rod & Staff because I think it is better for the long haul. HTH!

I'm sure you all have had this question before. I'm really struggling choosing a writing curriculum for my 4th grader. I have already purchased Abeka Lang. Arts but the more I read about Rod and Staff Lang Arts, the more I'm thinking I should send Abeka back. Does Rod and Staff really have more writing than Abeka? Will this solve my need to supplement Abeka with a different writing source? By Rod and Staff offering more writing does this mean creative and reports or is this referring to the fact that the lessons require copy work? Last question: If I do go with Rod and Staff, should I go back to 3rd grade because they are suppose to be advanced? My daughter came from a great public school but I'm not sure how they compare to placement with Rod and Staff.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Rod & Staff adds more writing assignments as your child advances....we switched to R&S English for that reason plus I didn't want to add more books. My kids get overwhelmed with too many books! Plus sometimes we do the grammar assignments orally or together on the whiteboard/chalkboard so that then we can do the writing assignments and not be tired of writing!

I'm still not sure what I will do. I'm wanting to start August 10th so I need to decide soon! Maybe I'll buy Rod and Staff and then use a little from both. I guess it's better to have too many choices then not enough.

Thanks Ladies!

Carolyn