Menu

Please suggest some good "chick flicks" EK (14yo) & I can watch together...

The Wedding Planner (2001)-Rated PG-13

Jennifer Lopez and Matthew McConaughey

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209475/

That Old Feeling (1997)-Rated PG 13

Bette Midler

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120318/

The Cutting Edge (1992)-MPAA Rating: PG

D.B Sweney and Moira Kelly

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800173050/info

Sixteen Candles (1984) MPAA Rating: PG

Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088128/

Just One of the Guys (1985) MPAA Rating: PG 13

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089393/

Edited by LUV2EDU

We just watched "Father of the Bride" with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor and it was worth the black and whiteness.

I'm going to rent "Bringing Up Baby" also black and white but funny with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

I absolutely loved "50 First Dates" with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler. But I saw it on Clean Flicks (remember that company?)

Did anyone mention "Roman Holiday" with Audrey Hepburn?

"About a Boy" is good - Hugh Grant

"Bend It Like Beckham" - Keira Knightly (I'm trying to think of titles for girls that aren't necessarily romance)

"Babette's Feast" we love this movie - subtitles in English - original in Norwegian?

"Life is Beautiful" funny but sad and also great movie about Jews in WWII - who was that goofy Italian actor who won the Oscar for this movie?

"Shall We Dance" - (1996) Japanese movie about ballroom dancing. Very sweet --- Not the Richard Gere American version

"Strictly Ballroom" - Australian movie about ballroom dancing. So funny satire.

I just bought "Facing the Giants" because the lead actor has a wonderfully deep speaking voice that's rare to hear - not such a great lookin' guy though.

"Phantom of the Opera" - Gerard Butler - my mother-in-law has a crush on him. :lol:

"Timeline" - also Gerard Butler - I might buy it for my m-i-l. PG-ish

I also love "Bridget Jones Diary" but I don't think I'd recommend it for a 14 year old even though it is a remake of "Pride and Prejudice."

Even "Rocky " is good - maybe you can get the version without the "F" word.

I just sent "Pursuit of Happyness" to my niece who is going into retail investing. Inspiring movie - one of my faves.

"The Winslow Boy" - interesting female character in this British movie about a teenage boy who is suspiciously expelled from boarding school.

"The Four Feathers" - Kate Hudson and Heath Ledger - British again - a bit bloody but an era in history that nobody knows anything about.

"Princess Caraboo" - Pheobe Cates - LOVE this movie for girls! I'd buy it if I could get my hands on it.

"Miss Potter" Renee Zellwegger -a biopic of Beatrix Potter - PG

My favorite movie of all time? "Groundhog Day" Some people don't get this movie.

Have fun.

Edited by shiloh
to edit is to live

When I was a teen, I loved watching the older comedies with Barbara Streisand (sp?) from the 60's. They are a bit musical, but not too much so and simply hilarious! I just wish I could remember their titles.:tongue_smilie:

I had forgotten about these. What's up, Doc? was one of my favorite movies in high school and college. I don't think I've seen it since then.

When I was a teen, I loved watching the older comedies with Barbara Streisand (sp?) from the 60's. They are a bit musical, but not too much so and simply hilarious! I just wish I could remember their titles.:tongue_smilie:

Hello Dolly - even my 5 and 3 year old LOVE this one (mostly because of WallE)

Funny Girl (I can't remember what this is even about...is it good for teens?)

I just thought of some more .... THIRD post on this subject:

Thoroughly Modern Millie - Julie Andrews & Mary Tyler Moore

Auntie Mame - 1958 (The Rosalind Russell one, not the Lucille Ball one)

Finians Rainbow

Brigadoon

A remake of the Philadelphia Story is "High Society" - one of the few remakes worth watching.

Has anyone mentioned:

Rear Window (Jimmy Stewart)

To Catch a Thief (Grant & Kelly)

Dial M for Murder (Grace Kelly)

Marnie (Tippi Hedren & Sean Connery)

Roman Holiday (Audrey Hepburn)

Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn)

Indiscreet (Cary Grant & Ingrid Bergman)

Notorious (Ingrid Bergman)

I think everyone has mentioned most of my personal favorites, but one I did not see mentioned that we all love here is The Patriot with Mel Gibson.

Yes, it is rated R, but only because of the thematic elements and war stuff (ok, lots of killing and the like. :lol:) There is not one ounce of nudity, or sexual innuendo, not a single curse word that I can recall...maybe a d#*n, if even that. Just a great heartfelt...and yes heartwrenching...movie. Love it, love it, love it.

Some, off the top of my head, favs...

Any Jane Austin flick (these are my favs):

Pride & Prejudice

Sense & Sensibility

Persuasion

Emma

Jane Eyre (this edition is my personal fav)

Sabrina (I like the Julia Ormond/Harrison Ford one),

The Romancing the Stone series (I think there are three),

Gaskell's North & South,

Confessions of a Shopaholic (new...irresistably cute),

Enchanted

The Bleak House

The Man from Snowy River

Return to Snowy River

Lorna Doone (really, really enjoyed this!)

The Inheritance

The Last Cowboy

The Love Comes Softly series (some are better than others, but all are great clean movies)

Saving Sarah Cain

The Ultimate Gift

The Christmas Card

The Note

Just to name a few.... :lol::D

Most of my faves have already been mentioned but here are some we love in our house:

Arsenic and Old Lace

Holiday Inn

Cheaper by the Dozen (the original-not the Steve Martin remake)

Gone With The Wind

The Glass Menagerie

The Lake House -- Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves

Only the Lonely -- John Candy and Ally Sheedy

Nanny McPhee -- Emma Thompson and Colin Firth

Sabrina -- Humphrey Bogart/Audrey Hepburn OR Harrison Ford/Julia Ormond (I enjoyed both versions)

Our family recently enjoyed:

Bedtime Stories -- Adam Sandler

Paul Blart, Mall Cop -- Kevin James

Cinder

Not all of these are what I would term "chick flicks" -- maybe my definition isn't the same as others' ;) -- but almost ALL of these sound like they'd be good!

:lol: Yes, there are probably different definitions for "chick flick." I guess a "chick flick" to me is one with a love story attached....I love love...I believe each movie I listed does indeed contain a love story. Even The Patriot. ;)

Have fun!

Wow. I just made an awesome list of movies to watch off these suggestions. Now if I only had time to watch movies! ;) At least I know which ones to get from the library when I have a weekend with nothing planned.

No one has mentioned City of Angels, maybe too adult? I loooove that one!!!

I do also love Joe vs the Volcano, which someone montioned. Really and of the Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan movies. Gotta love them two...

Beaches - is that too adult also?

Flicka - bawled my eyes out...

Black Beauty

Gosh, I know we're missing some good ones... you have all mentioned some good ones though!

For Pete's Sake is one.