Menu

Please suggest some good "chick flicks" EK (14yo) & I can watch together...

PG preferred, but PG-13 might be okay.

We enjoy sappy romantic comedies, such as:

You've Got Mail

Kate and Leopold

While You Were Sleeping

Sleepless in Seattle

What 'cha got for us? ;)

ETA: EK doesn't much care for B&W films (but *I* like them!), and neither of us really likes musicals. Not sure about the Jane Austen stuff. EK tried to read P & P but couldn't get through it. And I (gasp!) have never attempted to read them.

Edited by ereks mom

oooh, I love Ever After :) Another good one is A Walk to Remember.

And you've probably already seen it, but Pride and Prejudice is great, too.

Another one that I really liked, but I don't know if you'd want your 14 yo to watch because premarital sex is implied (but not shown), resulting in a pregnancy, is August Rush.

Oh, and what about New in Town? I saw it not too long ago, but can't remember if there was anything offensive in that one....

I've never seen this one, but a friend of mine loves 13 Going on 30. I think that's the name of it... with Jennifer Garner????

Edited by hsmom3tn

Here are some oldies, but goodies:

• An Affair to Remember - Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr
  • Funny Face - Audrey Hepburn & Fred Astaire
  • My Fair Lady - Audrey again
  • An American in Paris - Gene Kelly (although this has some pretty surprisingly mature themes...)
  • Roman Holiday - Audrey again(!) with Gregory Peck
  • Charade - Audrey (ditto) and Cary Grant
  • Laura - Gene Tierney & Dana Andrews
  • Rebecca - Olivier & Joan Fontaine
  • Jane Eyre - Joan Fontaine & Orson Welles

More recent:

• Bride & Prejudice (Bollywood -- it is GREAT!)
  • I third, fourth or fifth Ever After
  • Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Green Gables the Sequel (neither are 100% faithful to the story but they are romantic and wonderful but forget the sad 3rd one and now a HORRIBLE 4TH one now where Gilbert is killed off and Anne finds out she's NOT an orphan, but that her father was a cad...and it was produced by the producer of the rest of the movies. What was he thinking?)
  • Anything Austen: Pride & Prejudice (both movie and A&E are great), Emma (I like A&E better, but the Gwyneth Paltrow one was just fine), the recent BBC version of Sense & Sensibility is wonderful
  • Little Women (I love both the old one with June Allyson and the more-recent with Winona Ryder)
  • Check out the Masterpiece Classics website for ideas...TOO many to list!

Edited by BikeBookBread
thought of some more!

I always enjoyed:

The Philadelpia Story with Katherine Hepburn, Carey Grant and Jimmy Stewart

The Boy Who Could Fly (PG) A sweet 80s movie...been awhile since I've seen it, I think there's some swearing but nothing major (if I remember right).

Groundhog Day (PG) My personal favorite. Some swearing I think

Romancing the Stone (PG) I just re-watched this one, still one of my favorites. Might not be what you're looking for though...there's a scene of the two main characters in bed together (no nudity). Also, gets pretty violent at the end. But it's a funny action-packed movie.

Ladyhawke (1985) Michelle Pfieffer, Matthew Broderick http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089457/

There was one that I *think* was called The Black Arrow, but I can't find the version that I remember so well. There appears to be a black and white version, and maybe a tv series or movie, but it's not what I remember. My mom has it on videotape, recorded from tv--I'll have to figure out which one it is. This is not it, but all I could find... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040166/

ETA: It's this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088813/ It is in color, even though imdb shows b&w pictures. I guess it was a made for tv movie? A review mentions it's a Disney movie and says it's hard to find. It is excellent, though.

Cat Ballou (1965) Jane Fonda, Lee Marvin. Very funny. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059017/

Edited by gardening momma

Guest Virginia Dawn

The Lake House

Desk Set

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Philadelphia Story

Some Alfred Hitchcock ones like:

North by Northwest

Suspicion

Rear Window

Ella Enchanted

I second August Rush. Although it does have implied premarital resulting in pregnancy, it does open up the opportunity to discuss the risks and results of poor choices and the benefits of waiting.

Love comes Softly series

Robin Hood (not really chick flick, but I love it!)

One Night with the King (sounds bad, but nothing inappropriate)

Nativity

I just thought of a few more. Some of these were movies that I watched with my mom when I was younger...

Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride 2

My Girl

My Girl 2

Stepmom (Julia Roberts)

Return to Me (Minnie Driver)

No Reservations (catherine Zeta Jones)

Fifty First Dates pg-13

If you haven't seen this yet, read the description because it's not about dating 50 different people. Some good lessons can be found in it, but it's a true chick flic

FFD is *such* a sweet movie.

Mr Deed is also a funny movie with no redeeming value. But still, in the end, the nice boy gets the bad girl and they live happily very after. lol

Edited by LibraryLover

Someone mentioned Love Actually? Have you even seen that movie? Do you realize that it is rated R and has very adult themes? Sorry, I just can't see recommending that movie for a 14 year old! :glare:

My 16dd and I like Music and Lyrics and 27 Dresses.

4 hours long but Elizabeth Gaskell's, "North and South". North and South England, not Civil War. Has a sweet flavor of Jane Austen but a terrific romance.

(resisting the urge to literally begin squealing like a schoolgirl)... I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! SO romantic and very interesting historical setting, too.

Other suggestions...

Benny and Joon

The Runaway Bride

Amazing Grace (about the end of the slave trade in England. A really beautiful movie.)

Jane Eyre (the newest version with Toby Stephens)

Groundhog Day has as its part of its plot the male character trying to impress/seduce the female character. I'd watch first; I used to enjoy it but started to find it sleazy on later examination.

I'd never heard of the 4th Anne -- ugh! I hated the 3rd one with that whole random espionage subplot.

On the Jane Austen theme, there is "Clueless," which is Emma taken to the San Fernando Valley; I don't think I saw it mentioned on the list. I am certain there are untoward modern elements in it.

I really love the movie Shadow of a Doubt by Hitchcock; it's kind of creepy (no surprise) and features a wily young woman. Do watch it! It doesn't seem old and fuddy-duddy at all, even though there's a young Hume Cronyn in it too.

Someone mentioned Love Actually? Have you even seen that movie? Do you realize that it is rated R and has very adult themes? Sorry, I just can't see recommending that movie for a 14 year old! :glare:

My 16dd and I like Music and Lyrics and 27 Dresses.

That was me. and I'll recant, I've remembered that two of the characters are p*rn actors, and while it's not that graphic or anything, you probably don't need to go there with a 14yo! My apologies, I tried to run through every pairing in the movie and clean forgot about them. I still stand by it as a good chick flick, but yes, not for 14yos.

However, fwiw, Music and Lyrics... which I also love, is rated the same rating by Screenit for Sex and Nudity... Extreme. So also possibly not the best suggestion :)

Groundhog Day has as its part of its plot the male character trying to impress/seduce the female character. I'd watch first; I used to enjoy it but started to find it sleazy on later examination.

Yes, but he does see the error of his ways. He starts out trying to seduce her, but then he realizes he really likes her and geniunely tries (too hard at first) to win her heart. It's only after he completely changes his *own* life that the day quits repeating and she falls for him. The movie's over all message is wonderful imo.

It's also hilarious. I'd say it's the funniest movie I've ever seen.

That was me. and I'll recant, I've remembered that two of the characters are p*rn actors, and while it's not that graphic or anything, you probably don't need to go there with a 14yo! My apologies, I tried to run through every pairing in the movie and clean forgot about them. I still stand by it as a good chick flick, but yes, not for 14yos.

However, fwiw, Music and Lyrics... which I also love, is rated the same rating by Screenit for Sex and Nudity... Extreme. So also possibly not the best suggestion :)

It is most certainly NOT rated the same as Love Actually. You need to look again. There is NO nudity in Music and Lyrics nor is there constant talk about sex and infidelity.

Yes, but he does see the error of his ways. He starts out trying to seduce her, but then he realizes he really likes her and geniunely tries (too hard at first) to win her heart. It's only after he completely changes his *own* life that the day quits repeating and she falls for him. The movie's over all message is wonderful imo.

It's also hilarious. I'd say it's the funniest movie I've ever seen.

I agree, the character does change. As far as SHE is concerned, it's been one date (after a working relationship), not the months of being stuck in Groundhog Day, and it clearly ends in bed. That may or may not be a good mom-and-14-year-old type of movie for the OP; it's up to her to decide.

Another very nice movie is Sweet Land.

Not sure how many of these have been mentioned before, but my list would include:

Ever After - one of my favs

A League of Their Own - I *think* it is PG-13 though

13 Going on 30

Girls Just Want to have Fun - great movie from the 80's with Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt, but it does have some teen rebelion

Footloose

*Edit*

Just thought of one more, Stick It. It is a movie about gymnastics, it is PG-13, so there is some slight crude language.

Edited by Tiff in TX