Menu

Help my poor book deprived son!

We have a large selection of books in this house, but he has already read everything he is allowed/interested in. He likes Sci-fi and a bit of fantasy. Mystery a little bit. These aren't genres I'm well versed in and I don't want to give him quite free reign in the library. So book recommendations would be welcome. He is 12yrs old with a very high reading level. When push comes to shove he'd read almost anything rather than not have a book!

Oh I just reminded myself I have "Honey for a Child's Heart" I'll check in there too.

Thanks,

We just finished "The Waterstone" by Rebecca Rupp and I'd say it was really good and he might enjoy it. Also, "Journey to the Blue Moon" by Rebecca Rupp is a good read. These are not short quick reads and are thought provoking while still "fantasy" so he may really like them.

Angela

I can sympathize. We are in the same boat, and I'm starting to let him have more freedom in the adult section.

Here are a few classic suggestions, but your son might have read all of these already:

Science fiction--Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Fantasy--The Belgariad (Pawn of Prophecy is the first one) by David Eddings

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

I second some of the suggestions already given.

Also how about The Harper Hall trilogy of the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey? Not all of the Pern books are age appropriate but those are intended for the slightly younger set.

Other authors to explore (if you/he haven't already): Madeline L'Engle, Ursula LeGuin, Orson Scott Card, Issac Asimov, James Blish, Kurt Vonnegut (specifically, Galapagos, HG Wells. There are enough to get you started, anyway. Hope this helps!

One note: The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp was *terrible* my 12 year old daughter and I both hated it.