Menu

Carneige Unit...help

Basically, it was an attempt to standardize the high school credit by setting a certain number of hours of contact time with an instructor. It's where folks get the idea that a studying a subject for a certain number of hours adds up to a credit.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_unit

However, it's not like there's a big agency somewhere tracking all of our students' Carnegie units. There is no official designation of anything. It's just a way of measuring how much real instructional time your son experienced.

--Jenny

It's odd they'd give 1/3 of a credit. I'd count it as an extra curricular activity, and go ahead and mention the time committment--

Or, if he needs a Gov't credit, you can count it as approximately a semester, if you add in a little more gov't--say, reading a good book or two, or maybe writing a short paper. Figure a Carnegie unit is about 120 hours. Your son did 50 hours. Do another 10 and you can count it and feel good about it! lol

He did alot of homework and read one book written by Tim Echols (Real Citzenship).

He also attended a class prep for the Teen Pact homework prep/discussions with other boys in the group that were going to Teen Pact.

I can count those hours as well correct? I may have him do another reading of a book on gov't.

Holly