Menu

High School grammar

I am considering putting my rising 9th grader in an accredited co-op that meets weekly (the accreditation is to facilitate Hope scholarship funds in the future.)

At the orientation meeting tonight I was told grammar is a required high school course.

Ds has been using Rod & Staff grammar since 3rd grade and my plan had been to drop it after completing 8th grade, then focus on writing during his high school years.

When I looked up the regs online it did say language arts was required-so is this particular co-op just choosing to interpret that to include grammar?

They are using a different grammar curriculum which looks fine, but it's not R&S which works well for us, and I hate to pay big bucks for a class I don't really think ds needs.

So, I guess my questions are: Do many of you continue grammar in high school and how do you define language arts on a high school transcript?

This is my eldest so I'm treading in unfamiliar territory and would appreciate any advice.

I'm in Ga. if that makes a difference.

then you must be in Georgia?

I went through something similar a year ago, worrying about my dc getting Hope money, but also the ability for them to participate in ACCEL (dual enrollment). I looked at several accredited programs in the state. All had different requirements it seems. When I was speaking with one of them and telling the person my concerns, she suggested that I get accredited, so I did.

I went to the Georgia Accrediting Commission website (gac.com) and downloaded the requirements and application and took it from there. I received accreditation in October (officially, although I was given the green light in July). Now *I* get to decide what gets included in a class. Consider going for your own accreditation. If you look at the requirements, you're probably already doing most of them anyway (records and such).

HTH.

I am considering putting my rising 9th grader in an accredited co-op that meets weekly (the accreditation is to facilitate Hope scholarship funds in the future.)

At the orientation meeting tonight I was told grammar is a required high school course.

Ds has been using Rod & Staff grammar since 3rd grade and my plan had been to drop it after completing 8th grade, then focus on writing during his high school years.

When I looked up the regs online it did say language arts was required-so is this particular co-op just choosing to interpret that to include grammar?

They are using a different grammar curriculum which looks fine, but it's not R&S which works well for us, and I hate to pay big bucks for a class I don't really think ds needs.

So, I guess my questions are: Do many of you continue grammar in high school and how do you define language arts on a high school transcript?

This is my eldest so I'm treading in unfamiliar territory and would appreciate any advice.

"Language arts" *does* include grammar. It includes all facets of English language: grammar, composition, reading/literature, spelling/vocabulary, even penmanship.

On a high school transcript, "English" is assumed to include, each year composition and literature, and as much grammar as is necessary. High school transcripts rarely use "language arts."

I did not continue grammar into high school. I also did not put my daughter into any accreditated programs and yet she will meet the requirements for the Hope. I guess the GA Hope has different rules than the TN Hope?