Menu

Tell me what you think of this new banner..Please?

looks cool. i did find the wording a bit tough to read b/c i wasn't sure if there were periods. were the words phrases?

so i would suggest more space between phrasing or

on separate lines

for clarification

make sense?

eta: I'm totally impressed though cuz I don't know a thing about photoshop! KUDOS

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
eta: encouragment

looks cool. i did find the wording a bit tough to read b/c i wasn't sure if there were periods. were the words phrases?

on separate lines

for clarification

make sense?

eta: I'm totally impressed though cuz I don't know a thing about photoshop! KUDOS

You know, I thought that may happen with the font. It is a script that has dots in the design. I think your idea of spacing would be a good thing. I'll have to play with it. Thank you so much for your help.:001_smile:

on separate lines

for clarification

make sense?

:iagree:Beautiful. But it was a little bit hard to read.

What does "plotting animals" mean?

Love the look of it--nice font, beautiful colors and pics. I might take the pigs out, and just use ducks, although it's a really nice pig picture.

Plotting animals stemmed from these posts about my animals:

http://herdingducks.blogspot.com/2009/05/no-respect.html

http://herdingducks.blogspot.com/2009/06/dear-sam.html

http://herdingducks.blogspot.com/2009/05/primping-chickens.html

My animals are always trying to do me in; Escaping from their enclosures, chickens attacking, conniving dogs and diva chicks. They are always plotting something.

Herding ducks refers to raising my kids. They are always going crazy, in different directions and I'm just trying to keep up. Although, we do have three ducks, the blog is not really referring to them. :lol:

Good job!

I would rather put the barn picture somehow behind the animals pictuers (layered?) or get another picture in the middle. Something about composition of these three does not line up for my eye (but I am veeeery picky).

The lettering...I would decide the letters not to stick up on the pictures...you probably wanted that effect, but it looks like it was done almost by accident.

I would also change the blue background...something that goes with the pictures more...

I wish I could have photoshop!!!

I am just learning how to use the basics of photoshop. Will you give your honest opinion of this banner for my blog?

click to enlarge.

[ATTACH]1169[/ATTACH]

I agree with the others about the change in font, and I like the changes you made, but I'm stuck on the subtitles.

You are not "plotting (verb) the animals," so I'm thrown off by the lack of parallelsim with the first two phrases. (I know...picky, picky...I'm truly sorry!)

Could you work on something like "staying one step head of plotting animals" (There's no ring to that, but you get the gist right? Start that last phrase with a verb describing the action *you* are doing.)

Hhmmm. thinking...thinking...barnyard plots...defeating barnyard plots? thwarting?

You clearly have a wonderful way with words, one that I absolutely do not, but *if* you want to make a change to solve the issue, I'm sure you can apply your wordcrafting skills! :)

My $0.02 worth.

Herding Ducks needs to be closer together. Too much space between Herding and Ducks.

I agree with the others about the plotting animals. How do you plot an animal? was my first thought.

I agree with others about the pictures. If you're herding ducks, you need more duck pix. I know you mean your kids, but still...at least make the duck pic the first one. Or can you dress your kids up as ducks???

Wish I had photoshop, too!

I like the pictures, the font is much better in the final version. I agree with the PP about the "plotting animals" part. It doesn't make sense unless you explain it. Sine it appears that this is going to be your blog banner, perhaps something like "Herding my ducklings as the animals plot my demise.." would make more sense to readers who do not yet know you or have not yet read your posts. ???

hmm. Maybe use the barn picture as a background then build pictures on top of it? I could do that.

As far as the lettering goes, are you talking about the shadow effect behind them?

What colors do you think would be more eye catching?

Thanks for the input.

Good job!

I would rather put the barn picture somehow behind the animals pictuers (layered?) or get another picture in the middle. Something about composition of these three does not line up for my eye (but I am veeeery picky).

The lettering...I would decide the letters not to stick up on the pictures...you probably wanted that effect, but it looks like it was done almost by accident.

I would also change the blue background...something that goes with the pictures more...

I wish I could have photoshop!!!

I agree with the others about the change in font, and I like the changes you made, but I'm stuck on the subtitles.

You are not "plotting (verb) the animals," so I'm thrown off by the lack of parallelsim with the first two phrases. (I know...picky, picky...I'm truly sorry!)

No, I was kind of thinking the same thing. I just could not think of a catchy way to put it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Could you work on something like "staying one step head of plotting animals" (There's no ring to that, but you get the gist right? Start that last phrase with a verb describing the action *you* are doing.)

Hhmmm. thinking...thinking...barnyard plots...defeating barnyard plots? thwarting?

You clearly have a wonderful way with words, one that I absolutely do not, but *if* you want to make a change to solve the issue, I'm sure you can apply your wordcrafting skills! :)

My $0.02 worth.

I appreciate it.

How about:

Carving out life in the country and herding my ducklings while trying to maintain sanity.

Hmm.

Carving out life in the country. Herding my ducklings. Foiling evil plots.

still thinking.....

Carving out life in the country. Herding my ducklings. Thwarting animal conspiracies?

Ideas?? It does not necessarily have to be about animals. Although, I'd like it to.

Thank you for the gentle correction. I should have caught that myself. My 3rd grader knows better. lol

Edited by runninmommy

I really like the short phrases:

Carving out life in the country. Herding my ducklings. Foiling evil plots.

and "foiling" is the perfect word that I couldn't bring to mind. :)

Do you like Foiling Barnyard Plots. ?

Or maybe the word "barnyard" doesn't appeal!?!

You'll find something you like that is just perfect!

I fixed the spacing between the words.

I took away the shadow.

I replaced plotting animals with Foiling barnyard plots.

I'm not sure what to do about colors....

I am thinking of making a different one with the barn in the background just to see how it would look.

What are your thoughts on this one?

post-3562-13535082945408_thumb.jpg

post-3562-13535082945408_thumb.jpg

You know how we work on a project, spending a ridiculously exhorbitant amount of time on it, but when we have it just right, it makes our hearts happy? I think that's where you are on this. :) You'll know when you just LOVE it.

A couple of tiny suggestions, if you have the energy. Something happened on the font for Foiling Barnyard Plots. It doesn't look like the same font as the first two phrases, and the first two are easier to read, so I'd vote for that font, not the one on the last phrase. (But I love the phrase. ;) )

Finally, I llike your barn picture, but could you crop it so you get a closer shot? I really like the simplicity/lines of it and the color, as a nice contrast to the detail in the other two photos. I also love the soft focus on the sides. Seeing it closer, so it is a larger block of color, might be nice. ETA: On second thought, if you have more foreground in the picture to work with, that's what I'd do, crop it so the color block of the barn was up higher in the picture, as opposed to zooming in and losing the sides of the barn.

You also mentioned doing one with the barn in the background. That might be fun, if you could soften the whole thing or put a slightly translucent layer over the whole thing, then put your detailed closeup photos in the front. (I'm going to have to learn photoshop one of these lifetimes.)

Again, take my suggestions with a grain of salt and do what makes you happy.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

Thank you all so much for your help and gentle correction. I like the direction it is headed and will continue to fiddle with it.

I'm thinking of making a new one every few months. Maybe that will improve my skills and make the blog a little more interesting.

Can't wait to learn the cool stuff!