Menu

Extracurricular activity planning

All 4 will play soccer in the fall. My oldest will take band at the school. The boys are all in Scouts. Since we will be living on base now, I will probably sign my DD up for gymnastics. We are stationed overseas, so there's not really that much for them to do, aside from sports. I can't wait to homeschool back in the States and have access to other activities.

Calvin does Taekwondo twice a week: three hours in total. He also has a 30 minute swimming lesson, one night a week of scouts, guitar lesson and chess club. I also need to set up Mandarin tutoring.

Hobbes has one hour a week of Karate, half an hour of swimming class, one hour Mandarin school on Saturday, cub scouts and chess club. I want to set up an extra hour of Mandarin tutoring too. He does recorder at home as part of his normal school.

Laura

I'm not sure. We are deciding about homeschool bowling (have done for past 2 years) and homeschool cooking class (kids love, but low enrollment).

They are going to do homeschool swimming.

My daughter is on a synchronized skating team and takes clarinet lessons.

My son takes art class at this amazing art center.

We have memberships to 3 museums and 1 zoo so we have a ton of educational field trips planned.

I guess I should have answered my own question.

Austin - piano(he asked to try it instead of another year of guitar), drama, tae kwon do, scouts (gave up cadets), archery, fencing, ski lessons, gymnastics, bowling, golf lessons, swimming, rock climbing and then workshops as they arise.

Ceilidh- violin, piano, drama, tae kwon do, ski lessons, swimming, gymnastics, bowling, golf lessons, sewing, possibly hip hop, rock climbing and then workshops

Hunter- piano, art, bowling, tae kwon do, gymnastics, swimming, rock climbing, ski lessons and workshops

Isabelle- gymnastics and swimming.

The gymnastics, tae kwon do, ski and golf lessons, fencing, archery, and swimming are all homeschool ones, and some are only for 8-10 weeks at a time.

The drama, art and music lessons all happen at one night in one location at a fine arts program for low income families.

The rest we will fit in in the evenings and weekends

The big kids also want basketball and ds5 wants indoor soccer this winter but the schedule is pretty full already so we will see

Yacko will probably do Civil Air Patrol. He's still making up his mind, but I suspect he's dragging out the decision for the sake of dragging it out. He will also learn to play guitar, as well as to belay (his father and I both were certified as belayers at Peak Experiences in May) so that he and Wacko can climb at Peak Experiences. PE has a homeschool climb on Thursdays, but they require the kids to be at least 13, so Wacko can't go yet.

Wacko will climb, but not sure when. I'd like to make sure he goes at least once a week. We're looking at dual enrollment for him to take trombone in the 6th grade band.

Dot may cheerleader (depends on $$) with her cousins' team. She's taking ice skating lessons as well and if we can find the money, will start learning violin. She also adores AWANA, so she'll do that again.

Last year was chaotic with activities and it got super-expensive. We are narrowing it down at this point.

We will be doing co-op (all day, every other Thursday) for sure.

The older two kids are each allowed to choose two activities they wish to participate in. Riding lessons, gymnastics, art class, swimming, ballet, health/wellness, track, and soccer was just too much for us (both time-wise and financially), Not sure which two they will choose yet, though. :)

I am actually trying to cut back here. ;) All three are doing homeschool PE (1 hour a week), homeschool skating after PE (2.5 hours a week), science co-op (2 hours a week), Little Flowers (Catholic scouting), field trips once a month, daily Mass (once a week) and something else at church on Friday afternoons. 10 yo DD is doing swim team (4 days a week for 90 minutes plus meets), piano, and the volleyball team (if time allows). Almost 8 yo DD is doing martial arts (3 times a week for 1 hour), and speech therapy (2 times a week for 1 hour). Almost 6 yo DD is doing ballet (1 hour a week but moving to two hours a week soon) and swimming (1 hour a week).

DD9 has Irish step dance, scouts, golf, CCD, American Girl club

Another Irish Step Dance family here -- it's not just an extracurricular activity, it's a lifestyle. Okay, really, we're not quite that crazy with it, but plenty of friends are. We actually let our kids do other things besides ID, and don't worry that it distracts from taking classes every day of the week and competing every weekend.

So, scouts for both dd.

And piano.

Older does archery and church youth group and church choir.

Younger does church choir, and we're looking into theatre classes.

Austin - piano(he asked to try it instead of another year of guitar), drama, tae kwon do, scouts (gave up cadets), archery, fencing, ski lessons, gymnastics, bowling, golf lessons, swimming, rock climbing and then workshops as they arise.

Ceilidh- violin, piano, drama, tae kwon do, ski lessons, swimming, gymnastics, bowling, golf lessons, sewing, possibly hip hop, rock climbing and then workshops

Hunter- piano, art, bowling, tae kwon do, gymnastics, swimming, rock climbing, ski lessons and workshops

The gymnastics, tae kwon do, ski and golf lessons, fencing, archery, and swimming are all homeschool ones, and some are only for 8-10 weeks at a time.

The drama, art and music lessons all happen at one night in one location at a fine arts program for low income families.

The big kids also want basketball and ds5 wants indoor soccer this winter but the schedule is pretty full already so we will see

HOW?!?

my two boys do soccer, my daughter has done dance in the past but is now starting piano lessons, my husband does Jiu-Jitsu training and i would love to play on the womens league soccer team...but i don't have time. i have to keep everyone to one activity or i end up wanting to jump off a cliff.

i have no idea how you do it.

Piano, combined ballet, tap & jazz class, and homeschool field trip/playgroup once a week. Swimming will pick back up in the Spring (probably April-August), and Ariel has decided she wants to take Irish dance, but there's only one studio around here that teaches it and I have no idea how expensive it is. :001_huh:

She will probably also want to go back to gymnastics at some point, but I think something will have to give for that to happen. If it were up to her, she would do all of the above, all the time.

The girls will continue Art lessons and riding lessons.

Mr. Clever will have piano, saxophone and oboe. I also told him he could take a class in HTML if he found one he liked.

All the kids will continue showing their goats.

We're doing a lot this year...

Dd & ds will both go to Master's Academy of Fine Arts on Mondays.

We're doing a co-op on Tuesdays - dd will be doing martial arts, creative writing, and math club.

Wednesday ds has 45 minutes of tumbling @ the Y.

Thursdays for 8 weeks they're doing soccer this fall (but then it's over).

And Fridays dd will have chorus & band.

Plus dd will swim T, W, R, and possibly S, which also means driving.

Whew!

HOW?!?

my two boys do soccer, my daughter has done dance in the past but is now starting piano lessons, my husband does Jiu-Jitsu training and i would love to play on the womens league soccer team...but i don't have time. i have to keep everyone to one activity or i end up wanting to jump off a cliff.

i have no idea how you do it.

I'm with you! My oldest will do a play-based co-op M/W/F, the youngest will be at a co-op with me on W mornings and we will do Awanas on W evening. That's it!

Are 4/5 year olds really able to start piano lessons? All the teachers around here want kids reading well before they start.

oldest - horseback riding lessons, art, piano

middle - ? no idea, he only likes legos but is only 5 (no one offers classes for him at his age here)

youngest - AWANA (the other two don't want to continue), gymnastics and kindermusik

All of the kids will be in co-op.

I'm sure.

Oldest - soccer and maybe tennis. Guitar. volunteer at AWANA and Sunday school. Prob youth group. Teen CBS. Co-op.

Middle - soccer, maybe tennis. Piano. Volunteer at AWANA and Sunday school. Prob youth group. Teen CBS. Co-op.

Youngest - flag football, maybe tennis. Piano. AWANA. Co-op.

It keeps us moving! At least tennis, music lessons, AWANA, teen CBS and co-op all overlap for three of them.

OMG girl. How do you have any time left for curriculum? :001_huh:

The kids are allowed music, art and one sport per season each. They don't all do all of these in organized group settings. For instance the 16 plays tennis a couple times a week, is learning to play the piano and continues working on her art herself. The 12 yr. old is the athelete so she plays one sport each season but commits less time to the other two - art in school and continues with piano practice. The 10 yr. old is still deciding at this point but it looks like it is going to be Karate and art and continue with piano. I would have neither the time, energy or money for more. I have told them that they can do it all, just not at the same time.

I'm embarassed to say. My 5.5 year old is soooo extroverted. Without enough stimulation, she really struggles.

Both kids will be very involved in church activities. Both kids will take Musikgarten classes, gymnastics, swimming, and dance. Anna will do various seasonal sports (soccer in the fall, Upward basketball in the winter, tball in the spring), and she may do Daisy Scouts. She is also doing Classical Conversations one morning a week.

Edited by Terabith

OMG girl. How do you have any time left for curriculum? :001_huh:

lol yes I do.

Here is what a week looks like with school/extra currics

Monday morning school before lunch, after lunch all 4 kids have homeschool gymnastics for 1 hour, then home for more school before supper, then bowling league

Tuesday school all day (when archery and fencing start up we will attend those- 1 per term)

Wednesday School in the morning. Homeschool swimming after lunch, takes 1.5 hours including driving time, then more school till supper. Evenings for 6 weeks per term is sewing class for dd. It is also scouts for ds which my neighbor will take him to as he is a leader there. On the nights that dd is not at sewing she will take hip hop with my sil as her teacher so sil will drive her to and from class.

Thursday school all day, after supper we go to one program that covers their art, drama and private music lessons, they are there for a couple hours but everything is covered.

Friday school all morning, homeschool Tae Kwon do after lunch, school till dinner after we get home. After dinner it is free time with their neighborhood friends.

Saturday Ski lessons in the winter otherwise just a free day to play and be kids

Sunday afternoons is rock climbing and in evening is junior life guard club.(plus church in the am)

So it sounds like a lot but in the end it actually isn't bad, the vast majority is after school hours, the ones that occur during school hours are for an hour after lunch and are within a 15 minute drive from home so 1.5 hours total away from school mid-day.

Of course once baseball and soccer season start in the spring it becomes much more difficult to juggle it all.

DS10 (soon to be 11): Private music instruction (trumpet), sport or art (his choice, one per season)

DS5 (soon to be 6): Storytime at library, gymnastics

DS3: Storytime, gymnastics

The children and I volunteer every other Friday. We may get involved with a local co-op but I'm not set on it yet.

DS will continue his year round swim team which requires 1-2hours/day M-TH and then all day meets on Sat. We may continue with gymnastics and possibly restart music lessons depending on finances. I really wish we could do more but for now this is our plans.

My oldest dances A LOT...she has classes at least 4 nights per week (it's her passion); she will also participate in some youth activities/mission work through our church. If her dance schedule permits, she'll also sing with our youth praise choir.

Our son will be doing Cub Scouts for the first time this year. He also plays seasonal sports through Upward Sports. Fall will be flag football; spring will be soccer. He wants to play basketball in the winter, but I'm not sure about that. He also does AWANA on Sunday evenings.

My middle daughter is my jack of all trades! :D She wants to do it ALL! She's only 5 and is a social butterfly, so she wants to try a little bit of everything. She's signed up to play flag football in the fall; takes dance 2 nights per week; participates in a music/drama program at our church; does AWANA and would love to take art lessons, if the budget permits.

The youngest, well, she just gets dragged to all of their activities! ;) She may take a creative movement or kinder-music class this fall.