Menu

?'s about the PSAT and National Merit

I just need something clarified ~

I know only the 11th grade year counts for the NAtional Merit Sholarship Awards when taking the PSAT. So, you can take the PSAT 9 and 10th grade as well, for practice, and still qualify for National Merit in 11th? For some reason I thought that you could only qualify for National Merit if taking the PSAT in 11th was your first time to take it?

Just need to clear that up, I'm sure I misunderstood ~ Debbie

Your child can take the PSAT earlier than 11th grade for practice with no penalty

How many times can you take it for practice?

Theoretically as many times as you can fit in considering it is only offered on one Saturday and one Wednesday each October.

I suppose you could start having your student take it for practice in middle school years but that seems excessive. Another way to get in more practice would be to purchase the CollegeBoard's SAT Study Guide and have them work through the practice tests in there.

I just need something clarified ~

I know only the 11th grade year counts for the NAtional Merit Sholarship Awards when taking the PSAT. So, you can take the PSAT 9 and 10th grade as well, for practice, and still qualify for National Merit in 11th? For some reason I thought that you could only qualify for National Merit if taking the PSAT in 11th was your first time to take it?

Just need to clear that up, I'm sure I misunderstood ~ Debbie

My ds was a NM finalist, and he took the test in both 10th and 11th grades.