Menu

Bakery-style buttercream frosting?

I've been trying different recipes for making homemade buttercream frosting, but I haven't really liked anything I've tried. It never tastes like the kind of buttercream I like from local bakeries. All the recipes I've made have called for powdered sugar, but DH was just watching an Ace of Cakes episode where one of the staff was making frosting, and it looked like she was using granulated sugar, and she mentioned egg whites (and, of course, butter).

What am I missing in this process? Does anyone have a killer recipe for bakery-quality buttercream?

TIA!

ChocolatePrincess, I think I'm on the trail. I found that the ingredients I saw them using are the ingredients for Italian buttercream icing, which I'd never even heard of before. I've found a few recipes, but I'd love something tried and true, if anyone has anything.

Here's mine:

1# powdered sugar

2 t Wilton's clear vanilla

4 T water

2 C solid Crisco

2 t butter extract

couple pinches popcorn salt

Chelle

Thanks Chelle! I'm trying to get away from the powdered sugar, but I like the butter extract idea. I'll tuck that away for later :D

I love mine. I like it better than any bakery frosting I have had recently.

1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening

1/2 cup butter

3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup milk

Beat the shortening and butter together until well combined, then add the sugar and beat 3 minutes. Add vanilla and milk and beat another 5 to 7 minutes.

The shortening seems to really help the flavor, I used to make it with all butter but it was somehow overpowering.

Does anyone have one that uses real butter? I dislike having to use shortening.

You can use real butter in any of the recipes; it really just depends on your preference. I don't like shortening either, but the frosting I've made that I've liked best so far was half butter, half Crisco (:ohmy: :lol: -- all butter was too buttery tasting for me, the Crisco helped neutralize that a bit), and had a splish of heavy cream in it. But you could use all butter in any of them if you like that taste better.

It probably was an Italian buttercream and there are lots of recipes on the net all over. It is a more time intensive recipe and while it's very good I'm not so sure it's worth all the trouble it takes to make it, unless you've got a very special request for it.

What is your aversion to powered sugar? It's just pulverized sugar so the taste is the same. The texture just tends to be more smooth. The reason you'd use regular sugar in the It. buttercream is b/c you cook it, therefore dissolving the granulated sugar.

As far as all butter goes, any buttercream recipe can use all butter, but it will be more prone to melting if it's hot out. Most bakeries use all shortening (especially for wedding cakes) to make the icing pure white (and fake non-colored vanilla too) and to keep the icing from melting. The best tasting recipes, IMO, are either all butter or half butter and half shortening. You should always use real vanilla if possible.