Menu

When should you work on pencil grip?

Mommy22alyns

What age or developmental stage is best? I'm iffy on the rubberized pencil grips and I don't think that Sylvia would care much for them either. But she holds the pencil so oddly. I hadn't planned to start her on a formal handwriting curriculum yet, but she gets frustrated that she can't correctly write certain numbers and letters when we do ETC and her math.

Or should I just buy a stupid squishy pencil grip and a HWOT K curric? :tongue_smilie:

I have a 7 yr old & she holds her pencil weirdly too. Whenever I am around I correct it. I have tried using all kids of pencil grips. Moment I turn around she pulls it off the pencil. She says it is v uncomfortable to use the pencil grips.

I used to sit with her sister (who had OT issues) all the time when we first started alphabets & she has the correct hold/posture. I never used any pencil grips with her.

If your child is holding the pencil incorrectly, NOW is the time to correct her. If she is just starting her alphabets, sit with her while she writes. As they get older they will NOT use the pencil grip & habit sets in.

I used to think it was ok for my dd to hold her pencil in her own, rather odd, way. After all, her handwriting was absolutely lovely.

Then we started writing more--and her hand got tired very quickly, because the way she held the pencil strained the muscles.

Correct her now.

As soon as a child can hold a writing utensil. Really.

:iagree: I used HWT preschool with my now ds7 and dd5 when they were 3. It really helped them with pencil grip.

I would correct any "weird" grips ASAP as they can probably cause problems later. And if you have a young dc, help them learn how to hold a pencil the right way from the beginning!

My 2 cents!!

Liz in NC

As soon as a child can hold a writing utensil. Really.

:iagree:

My dd4 began holding pencils at 2yo (her choice, not mine;))...I spent a lot of time while she was 3yo do watching her trace and draw, correcting her grip. We made a silly game of it - she was the mother of those naughty fingers and she MUST make them obey. (she LOVED that:tongue_smilie:)

My 3yo ds is doing a lot of coloring now.....it's time for me to give him a special box of crayons that are about 1" long to force that tripod grasp BEFORE he develops a bad grip.

I agree with whoever said as soon as they are capable.

Here is what we did (from HWT PK, I believe):

Get a slate (or you can use the chalkboard side of a child size easel).

Get some chalk. Colored or white doesn't matter, but just regular size, cheap chalk.

Break a piece or two into little pieces (no more than 1/4-1/2 inch square).

Have them write (or trace what you have written with wet sponge after the board has dried).

Here's why:

With a little, tiny piece of chalk like that, it forces your hand to hold it correctly. Try it yourself! I thought it sounded strange when I read about it, but it really works and has taught all three of mine proper pencil grip.

Guest Barb B

I correct them right away too. This worked for my now 6th grader, and seems to be working for my 6 year old. Now my 11th grader - I tried, really I did, but he STILL holds it wierd - I gave up!

Barb

I haven't pushed which hand to write with, but I have stressed correct holding. We got ds just a normal squishy grip and it is working fine.

My dd(2) amazes me, she was born with the perfect grip - how nice!

Are any of the pencil grip aids better than others? Those funny shaped ones? The standard triangle?

It depends on your child's issue as to what grip you need.

My ds6 tends to cross his thumb over the top - the crossover grip works well for him.

dd4 tends to misplace her middle finger - stetro grips work well for her.

Can you get to a teacher supply store and try some out?

It depends on your child's issue as to what grip you need.

My ds6 tends to cross his thumb over the top - the crossover grip works well for him.

dd4 tends to misplace her middle finger - stetro grips work well for her.

:iagree:

My dd6 had the "thumb crossover" grip problem. We used the crossover pencil grip and an Italic workbook that detailed proper pencil grip on the inside of the front cover. DD and I read that material together first and then she went through the whole book using the pencil grip. Her grip has improved a lot. Sometimes, I can see her slipping into the same old habit and I just have to remind her gently to "pull her thumb back".

My youngest really likes the penagain pencils. Go to the link below to see what they look like.

http://www.amazon.com/TWIST-WRITE-PENAGAIN-CHILDRENS-PENCILS/dp/B000XHNQ4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1247932708&sr=8-1

I picked them up at Office Max.

The only problem with these pencils is that you can't refill them. So when you use up the lead, you have to throw the pencil away. Still, my dd likes the pencils and they don't make her hand tired.

I recently purchased the cross-over pencil grip for my ds6 from Rainbow Resource. I also bought the regular one. I can't remember what it's called. All my children like them and I want to make sure my ds4 starts out with a correct grip so I'm having him use one, too. I would say to start working on grip from the beginning. I let it slide too long with my 6 yo.

I would also suggest you start using the pencil grip now. It may be frustrating at first but it is better to break the habit as early as possible.

My son started using a pencil grip when he was four and used it part ways through 1st grade. At first, he only used the grip when I was working with him and then he worked up to using it all of the time. After awhile he did not mind using it.

Amy