Menu

Has anyone used the Art History:Picture Study sets by Winterpromise? Opinions?

samba

I am looking at the american painters for the second half of american history. Has anyone used these art appreciation sets? Do they work easily if I am not using any other Winterpromise program? Are they stand-alone? Could you give an example of what's included?

Thanks,

Carolyn

I noticed those and wondered what they're like. The first year ones focus narrowly on just a few artists, where the 2nd year set seems to focus on more. What I ended up doing this past year and have some into this year is using pics I found online of works by artists I picked from Discovering Great American Artists. That way I have an activity and bio info to go with the works. It didn't take long at all to gather the pics, and it's really quite fun. You right-click and save them, then upload to walgreens and print as 4X6 prints (or whatever size you want). We study and discuss the pic, then put into her photo album where she writes info on the lines of the album. At the end of the week we do the project in DGAA. Easy, peasy.

So are you going to get WP AC2?

Check, but it's super cheap. You can upload and print them anywhere you print digital photos. I never realized it was so easy. Just right-click a pic on the web, and it can be yours. I have a walgreens around the corner, so it's convenient. I think I paid $3.50 for all my pics last year, and we still haven't gotten through them. (20 artists at 2-3 per artist)

The idea wasn't original to me, btw. Angelina (cajun.classical) talked about it on here, and she got the idea from somebody else. :)

Thanks for the reply. Uploading and printing pics sounds like a good idea. As far as discussing...what do you talk about? That's where I'm a little fuzzy.

OhE, no I'm not planning on doing WP. I was just at the website looking at their read-alouds and activity books, trying to get ideas. I am doing an abbreviated 1850-Mod. I've got lots of readers and read-alouds, still looking for a good spine. I don't want to do a full year program. Any suggestions for a spine? If I can't find anything else, I'll continue with Abeka 4 but the first half is a lot better than the second half, imo.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Story of the USA makes a FABULOUS spine for modern. Check it out.

Discuss about the photos? Well I'm no artist, but it's not exactly hard, lol. If you read the author bio in DGAA, you have some clue about what the artist's big deal was or what you should notice (she liked to paint kids, he used dots, that sort of thing). Then you just look at the picture and TALK about it. What is happening? Do you like it? What do you notice? Sometimes, the more you just look at something, the more you notice. That's the whole point, to give someone a few minutes where they just look at good art. That in and of itself is engaging. Remember, you're picking interesting works by these artists. I found ones where they were ice skating, getting eaten by sharks, playing on the beach, stuff kids can relate too and find interesting. :)