Menu

Has anyone used Sonlight's Economics course?

Hello again!

In addition to government for my senior, I need an econ course. I really like the looks of SL's econ elective, but I must have something that generates written (or at least printed) output for our umbrella school. SL econ uses the Thinkwell econ lectures - the on-line subscriber version. Do you know if this allows you to print out the student's responses to the lecture questions and exercises? Any other thoughts? Would this prepare a student for the AP test?

Thanks mucho,

Blessings,

April

I don't know if SL's course would be good AP prep because I haven't used it. My oldest two both studied for the Microeconomics AP test with an older version of a standard college textbook and AP prep guides.

Here's what we used:

Microeconomics by Roger Arnold, 6th edition.

The Kaplan and Princeton Review study guides. One of these is sufficient for review, but it's nice to have two as there is only one practice test for Microecon in each guide.

InstantCert.com, an online test prep service. This is geared to the CLEP test, but we found it to be a very helpful review of the concepts. It's kind of clunky to use, and you must remember to cancel it a couple of days before it renews automatically at the end of the month.

Actual AP free-response questions from past exams downloaded from the College Board's website

My children both scored a 5 on the Microecon exam. They considered it an easy exam, as AP tests go. My son also did a lot of econ study on his own, as a hobby. He read all the Uncle Eric books (Whatever Happened to Penny Candy, etc.) and studied/listened to a lot of the material on the Von Mises institute website. My daugher does not need more econ credit, but I wish my son had had time to study for and take the Macroecon AP as well.

You might be able to figure out if the SL materials would work by comparing them the the AP Microecon and Macroecon syllibi on the College Board website.

Let us know what you find out,

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden

Thanks for the info, Gardenmom!

Did you have the teacher's edition of the text you used with your children or did you just wing it with the textbook? I loved econ in college, but it has been a long time, and I think I would feel better about things with some support (translation: answer key!)!

Any more tips for preparing for AP econ? And, by any chance, did your students take AP American Government? If so, what did they use to prepare?

Thanks and Blessings,

April

Hello again, Michelle!

I have been looking at the econ in a box picture, trying to see what the resources are so I can read a out them on Amazon. The Common Sense Econ book looks interesting, but I can't figure out what the John Stossel things are (dvds?) or the things that way Freeman. Are you familiar with these?

Thanks,

April

Thanks for the info, Gardenmom!

Did you have the teacher's edition of the text you used with your children or did you just wing it with the textbook? I loved econ in college, but it has been a long time, and I think I would feel better about things with some support (translation: answer key!)!

Any more tips for preparing for AP econ? And, by any chance, did your students take AP American Government? If so, what did they use to prepare?

Thanks and Blessings,

April

Hi April!

No, I did not buy a teacher's edition of the Micro text. Our text had answers to the questions that were embedded in the chapter, but not those at the end of the chapter. We found that was enough because of the other resources we used.

The prep guides had plenty of review. Each guide has only one practice test (there are two in each guide, one for micro and one for macro, which is standard). The prep guides for econ are the thinnest we've seen compared to those for other subjects. Think about how you will use the prep guides. Will you use them along with the text (coordinate the prep guide topics with the textbook topics), or will you use the prep guide after as review? The prep guides have teaching chapters with review questions and practice tests at the end. I recommend having your student do all of the actual studying and review before the last two weeks of April (1 week later depending on when the test is scheduled). Have him do one complete practice test for each of the two weeks before the exam. Do the test timed, and give a short break only between the major sections. Begin the test as close to the actual time as possible. This really helps! You can also download actual free-response questions from the AP website. Use these as practice problems for study.

I forgot to list something in my original post (editing it right after this). My students also used InstantCert, an online test prep service. We subscribed to it for a month, starting in late March/early April, and canceled a couple of days before the 30 days was over. If you don't cancel, InstantCert automatically renews. The program is kind of clunky to use, but it was a great review.

-------

About the USG&P AP -

This is supposed to be one of the easier tests as well.

One of my children will be studying for this in the coming school year. I am deviating from my usual plan of using college or AP texts and using the Notgrass American Government course. My student would like a course with Christian content, so we are trying it. She will also be using the Barron's and Cliff's study guides, the Barron's AP Govt Flashcards, and InstantCert. She will also keep up with current political events. I am hoping she will be fine. She needs a 5 for automatic credit at her #1 college choice. If she gets a 4 she will have to take an exam in the Polysci dept and pass to get credit.

I chose Notgrass because the company put me in touch with a lady in TX who taught a co-op class for USG&P AP prep. She only knew the scores of a couple of students. One was very interested in the subject and got a 5. The other was not as motivated, and wrote in rather small, unreadable script, so that's why she felt he only got a 3. She recommended the Barron's guide and flashcards. I also bought Cliff's because we used a Cliff's guide for AP Engl Lang & Comp this past year and found it very helpful. Cliff's and Barron's had good reviews on Amazon.

-------

When choosing a prep guide, I encourage you to visit a large bookstore with your student and browse.

I hope this helps! APs are challenging but your student can learn a lot!

GardenMom

Edited by MomsintheGarden

Thank you so much, Garden Mom and Michelle! I was planning to buy Notgrass Am Gov't for my senior as well. If that plus other review sources along with his background from TOG could get him ready for the Gov't AP exam, he could be in for at least 2 AP exams. He will be stunned when he gets done with his internship and discovers the fun I have planned for him! (grin!)

As a parent, do I need to make my own account at the College Board website in order to access AP info? We have not done any AP tests to date, so I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you very much!

Blessings,

April