Menu

How does your church get nursery help?

We're always struggling with having nursery volunteers. We usually need at least 9 volunteers every Sunday for K and under. We like to have enough so that one person only works one Sunday a month. Please help me understand why we don't have more people volunteering, and what we can do to change this.

Thank you,

Alison

When I was younger, the nursery staff was the grandmothers. We have a few today that help in our church but most will tell you "they have served their time". I always cringe b/c I am so glad that Christ didn't say this.

Some churches have even resorted to paying staff but I think that is very bad. When the church stops serving... they have HUGE issues and paying choir and sunday school staff encourages the apathy. It is a sad state & you are experiencing something very common.

I suggest having all the kids in a couple of services & beg for help!

A more gentle method is also ask them to remember how it is to be a Mom and having little time for study or reflection and what a beautiful gift the worship hour is to them. Christ gave his life for us, can't we give 2 hours for infants & toddlers to have a safe, loving environment while the Moms have 2 hours for worship-fellowship-study.

It is changing hearts.... the big thing is PRAY & communicate! I hope it improves. We have great success at my church lately with little ones... we can't get help with k-6th.

Twice a year, our church holds a ministry fair and one of the tables set up is for our kids/nursery program. The pastor has a great sermon utilizing scripture about how part of loving God and pleasing him is in serving others. You feel inspired to help as a result. Once we get the volunteers, they often recruit friends to help out since they've found they enjoy it. We also allow our responsible high schoolers to volunteer with the children - I believe they have to be recommended by the youth leaders before they can start, and they are always with an adult.

My answer may not be applicable to your situation, as we have 1500 or so people attend on a weekend - 5 services. Teachers and helpers work for one service, and so are free to attend the other services. For this reason, we ask our workers in Children's Ministries to commit to a year of service. They are volunteers, but not in the Hey, who can we get to work this weekend? sort of way. Our workers are there every week (for the most part) to ensure consistency with the kids, the lesson, discipline, etc.

We have age segregated classes for 2yo, 3yo, 4yo, kindy. 1st-5th grades are together for main lesson and worship, then separated for small group study. This is Children's Ministry.

Nursery is infants, toddlers, and those who just turned 2.

The nursery is staffed with trained, paid workers (who are active members of the church). We do not want volunteers for this age group. We want people (moms & female teens) who are regular, consistent workers, who take the time to learn the temperaments and personalities of our babes. We want the little ones to have the security of seeing pretty much the same faces week after week. Some of us log 10 or more nursery hours per week - which is a lot to ask of volunteers.

I know, it all sounds so highly structured and segregated and schoolish. :tongue_smilie: But we need 50-75 teachers/helpers on a given weekend, and will have a couple hundred kids pass through our doors. Without a system of some sort, it would descend into chaos.

More ideas:

ask for commitments of 2 weeks in a row each time they volunteer

ask for commitments to 1st Sunday, 2nd Sunday, etc. of every month

ask regular attending parents to serve in nursery (in a different age group than their dc, if they prefer) a few times a year

ask each volunteer to help a minimum number of times in a year (4, 6, 8--there's 52 weeks available!)

Well, at one church, we required that moms with children in the nursery regularly be added to the nursery rotation.

At another church, they closed classes if there weren't enough helpers. Once they announced there was a need, and the nursery would be closed on X date unless more people signed up, people usually did sign up. :)

Our church runs about 150 on Sunday morning but we are blessed to have enough workers.

For nursery (usually 3-7 kids ages birth-2) we have:

Sunday School: a grandma that serves every week, I work with her 2 Sundays a month and then 2 other ladies fill in the other 2 Sundays

Church service: 2 adults and 1 teen--usually each one takes one Sunday a month.

Sunday evening: 2 adults--again, usually once a month they serve

Wednesday evening during AWANA: 2-3 ladies commit to being in there each week unless they are ill, etc. (then I will fill in).

For children's church (ages 2 1/2 or 3 to 5):

A couple or an adult and teen that serve one month a year. This group runs 6-9 kids.

I think that the empty nesters, moms of highschoolers, young grandmas, etc. are great for the nursery. We do utilize teens but only with 2 adults present as well for the nursery.

I don't like to take teens out of church except for the occasional need. We pay one caregiver from the local community for consistency for the little ones. My ideal would be a christian that worshiped at a different time than we do. My next plan is to check with the Catholic priest and see if there is someone he would recommend that worships on Sat eve.

It is very hard if your church only has one service.

It has been my experience that when someone works less than every other week (or on for two weeks and off for two) it is very hard for them to feel "ownership" of their position. I would raise your expectations. This is not babysitting. This is a ministry. I believe that God has equipped your church body with the right people to serve. (They might just not know it yet!) I would expect to have at least one full time nursery worker in each room and a group of rotating volunteers (like parents and teens).

My favorite church nursery had this down to a fine art:

There was a deacon and *his wife* in charge. They were there every service. They scheduled, in the birth-through-six-months nursery, 1 worker for every four children.

All parents were required to help one service a month. That's one service out of Sunday morning (and I believe there was more than one Sunday service), Sunday night, and Wednesday night. When they had left their dc in the nursery for a certain number of times, they couldn't leave them again until they'd worked their service.

At any service where there were more babies than usual or people hadn't shown up to work, and the 4-1 ratio had been reached, people had to wait in line with their babies until someone volunteered.

Anyone who wanted to work in any other ministry in the church had to first spend six months in the nursery.

In order for things like this to work, the pastor must be 100 percent in agreement.

We don't. For the class portion we rotate teachers every quarter. Only those that want to be there are there. For worship services and the sermons children sit with their families in the auditorium and worship with them (or learn to worship by being part of worship). If a child needs to be taken out, the parents do that. Our infant/toddler nursery is set up with windows and speakers so nothing is missed.

When I was younger, the nursery staff was the grandmothers. We have a few today that help in our church but most will tell you "they have served their time". I always cringe b/c I am so glad that Christ didn't say this.

A more gentle method is also ask them to remember how it is to be a Mom and having little time for study or reflection and what a beautiful gift the worship hour is to them. Christ gave his life for us, can't we give 2 hours for infants & toddlers to have a safe, loving environment while the Moms have 2 hours for worship-fellowship-study.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to admit that I'm one of those people who has "done their time" in the nursery and don't want to go back.

When my littles were nursery aged, I was there. I volunteered and was on the rotation. I like *my* babies and toddlers, but I'm not so fond of everyone else's. I figured that because I was making use of the nursery, I should also help in the nursery.

But now, my youngest is 6. I volunteer in AWANA and teach Sunday School. I help clean the church kitchen. I make food and help serve at functions, funerals, etc. I donate my time and $$ to VBS and various mission activities.

It's not like I've done my time in the nursery and now I sit and do nothing. But just because there's a child-related opening doesn't mean that *I* have to fill it.

I really appreciated having a nursery so that I could worship in church or attend Bible study and be able to focus on the Word. I realize what a blessing it is for a young mom to have nursery available. (It was for me!) But I also realized that it would be selfish for me to refuse to help in the nursery if I also wished to make use of it.

One thing that I'm hearing from older women (now that I'm approaching that age) is how much they dislike the *assumption* that they will help in the nursery.(As well as the disapproval the accompanies a refusal.) Why? Just because they have grown children they surely must be leaping to hold any baby that is anywhere nearby?

If every mother with a child in the nursery added her name to the rotation, there would be no nursery issues in most churches. If they have all done that, and there are still vacancies, then, sure- let the body know of the need. But I think that young mothers should volunteer first, before asking others.

And I don't like the assumption that because we are reluctant to volunteer in a *particular* ministry we are somehow not being Christlike. There are plenty of opportunities for service in the church, and different parts of the body serve different functions. Not everybody can be an eye, a foot, or a nursery worker.

We pay one worker for each room, and we have three rooms. Knowing that there is a paid worker who is always there increases the kids comfort level and makes the volunteers more comfortable. Only the paid worker changes diapers, and because they are there all the time, they know the routine and the kids.

Knowing that you don't have to be the one "in charge" increases willingness to serve. We usually have more than enough volunteers.

Of Course, it also helps to have a fabulous nursery coordinator.

Honestly, we home church now, but previously, I found all of my churches resorted to shameless begging and guilt tactics --- and I Always taught Sunday school and/or volunteered in nursery b/c I felt called to teach Sunday school and I loved being in the nursery with my babies when I could.

If I heard, "Look at those beautiful children. They really need your help in the.....room" again, I might get sick.

Either people want in, or they don't. Either they will or they won't. I think churches should plainly make the need known (church bulletin, perhaps) and that ought to be it. If they're aren't enough volunteers, the room should be closed with a sign on the door that says such.

Personally, I don't believe filling a need, simply to fill it, without being called/led to do so, does not honor God, it honors men. (scared of the flying tomatoes)

If I'm harsh, remember its 2:25 a.m. over here and I can't sleep!

Well, I'm not much of a help, but here is my 2 cents.

We avoid the nursery. My husband is at sea half the year, and the other half we want to sit together. The nursery was always a sure fire way to be home the second half of the week with thermometers and barf buckets. :glare:Yeah. Nursery is just not our thing. And we have had a baby and toddler in waves for 10 years. We walk the kids in the back of the church or go to the nursing mom room.

Having said that, when I did serve in the nursery, I always enjoyed being able to at least hear the sermon, or hear the music. Our nursing mom room has a TV set up to watch the sermon. I would rather use this room than use the nursery.

I wish the older women of the church would step up and relieve the younger moms- that just makes sense to me. As long as enough signed up so that the full burden wouldn't fall on a few. Why not Dads? The sabbath should refresh and renew.

I'm rambling with many interruptions to thought, so forgive me for this disjointed post.:tongue_smilie:

Jo

It is a tough job staffing the nursery.

My answer may not be applicable to your situation, as we have 1500 or so people attend on a weekend - 5 services. Teachers and helpers work for one service, and so are free to attend the other services. For this reason, we ask our workers in Children's Ministries to commit to a year of service. They are volunteers, but not in the Hey, who can we get to work this weekend? sort of way. Our workers are there every week (for the most part) to ensure consistency with the kids, the lesson, discipline, etc.

We have age segregated classes for 2yo, 3yo, 4yo, kindy. 1st-5th grades are together for main lesson and worship, then separated for small group study. This is Children's Ministry.

Nursery is infants, toddlers, and those who just turned 2.

The nursery is staffed with trained, paid workers (who are active members of the church). We do not want volunteers for this age group. We want people (moms & female teens) who are regular, consistent workers, who take the time to learn the temperaments and personalities of our babes. We want the little ones to have the security of seeing pretty much the same faces week after week. Some of us log 10 or more nursery hours per week - which is a lot to ask of volunteers.

I know, it all sounds so highly structured and segregated and schoolish. :tongue_smilie: But we need 50-75 teachers/helpers on a given weekend, and will have a couple hundred kids pass through our doors. Without a system of some sort, it would descend into chaos.

Do you go to a Calvary Chapel by any chance?? This sounds A LOT like my church. :) I serve in the middle school ministry on Wednesdays and I'll be with my same group of girls for their 6th, 7th and 8th grades in the church before moving up to highschool ministry with them. :)

We have Sunday School for all ages before church that is staffed by volunteers. During the church service itself we have two options, a nursery for babies to age 2 and a "Children's Church" for kids 2-5. That runs only during the sermon/last half of the service. Kids over 5 stay for the sermon, and actually many kids over 2 stay as well. Children's Church is staffed by rotating volunteers. You only miss half the service so it's not too bad. The church office manager has a list of those people who have said they are willing to serve and she makes up a schedule for about 4-6 months at a time. Typically each person (it's two people a week) does one Sunday every 2 or 3 months so it's an easy commitment.

For the nursey we ended up hiring workers about 3 years ago. Before that we used a rotating schedule mostly made up of parents with nursery aged children. The problem is we have a very small church so it was easy to be in there very often and the guy in charge of the nursery had real difficulty finding volunteers. I think some people (especially the singles in our church) are comfortable volunteering with the older kids but the babies scare them. We have a lot of singles and young couples who volunteer for Children's Church but who wouldn't have for the nursery.

I understand the commenter who said that hiring nursery workers can be a sad thing as far as not having people from the church serve. But for us it's been a tremendous blessing. We found two great workers who have both stayed the past 3 years. The kids in the nursery LOVE these women. One of them actually just left after 3 years and we hired my niece to replace her. The women we've hired are young (20's) and it's a ministry to them as well. They need the extra money and it's been a good opportunity to get to know them. So for us it ended up being a great solution. I think for the kids the stability of having the same workers every week helps a lot. I know my first never ever went to the nursery and part of it might have been that it was a different worker each week. (Part of it was his personality. :)) My second had an easier time I think because he really got attached to one of the workers and loved going in to see her.

Ours is set up in a similar way to Alice's--we have one paid nursery worker and several volunteers who rotate. I wanted someone who had infant CPR, first aid and was screened for criminal and CPS backround. She doesn't make much, but she is consistent, kind, and provides a safe environment for the kids.

We don't have paid staff for Sunday School, but we do have a Director of Christian Ed who is paid, just like our rector is paid.

my church uses a mixture of adults and teens (all volunteers) in the nursery and for toddlers. The teen boys are especially great with the toddlers they will get down on the floor and play with the kids. I have also seen teen boys gently rocking the babies. I think this is good training for when they are dads.

At the beginning of the summer, our pastor made an announcment that if a certain number of new volunteers (it was either for 20 or 30) signed up for nursery duty, he would take ballroom dancing lessons with his wife. He is now taking these lessons!

[

At another church, they closed classes if there weren't enough helpers. Once they announced there was a need, and the nursery would be closed on X date unless more people signed up, people usually did sign up. :)

:iagree:That has happened more than once at our church.

So is it wrong to expect that the adults who show up to church and do absolutely nothing but listen to the service should help the church in some way? I know they can't be made to, but is it wrong to step up the request for more help?

I've heard before that someone said they hadn't felt lead to do something, but I don't think God necessarily yells in our ear to do something...when instead he might be sitting back wondering why more people aren't doing the right thing.

I truly want to understand this....we have an awesome preacher and service, but volunteering seems to be stinky...and I'm not saying it all has to be for the kids...I'm saying those that come in repeatedly and do nothing to help the church.

So am I wrong for this to aggravate me, is there a different way I should be looking at things?

Thanks for helping me to understand this.

Alison

I'm not sure how our church officially does it. I do know that our nursery coordinator of 6 years is stepping down and the Children's Pastor asked me to take over. Not in a million years is my answer.

I worked in the nursery when my kids were there, out of a sense of obligation, but I hated it. Currently, twice a month I teach the pre-schoolers and I'm much better suited there. I'm just not a baby person, but the pre-schoolers (who don't poop on themselves) are more my style.

I know our church sometimes puts something in the bulletin, but at the same time you want to be very careful who works with children. I believe our church screens them before allowing them to work with kids. You can't just wander in and work with babies.

Our nursery always tries to have an adult and a teen or two as helpers--boys and girls, but they don't allow the boys to change diapers.

I can't remember with the nursery, but as a teacher of the pre-schoolers (since I do an actual lesson) I have to make-up the time in church that I lost. So, I go to the 8:00 service and teach those kids, grab a snack and then attend the 10:30 service for myself. They want to be sure I'm learning as well as teaching.

And as I get older, I surely don't hope that people expect me to work in the nursery just because I'm on older woman. I hate working in the nursery. You do NOT want me working in the nursery. I've never really liked babies. The only babies I've ever liked are my own. (Sounds harsh, but it's just true.) There are lots of ways to be in service and just because I haven't been given the gifts/calling to work with babies doesn't mean I'm not doing God's will. For real--if He wanted me to work in the nursery, he'd have given me a passion for it. I've spoken to the nursery workers who do love it, and they call it their mission and passion. I just don't have it.

So, I'd say, make the poor moms watch the kids on a rotation. Have the pastor preach a message about service and maybe someone will be inspired to start.

What a rambling message. My points:

1. Back off on expecting the older women to want to do it. It's a chore and they're not interested. If they don't like babies, then why would you even want them there?

2. See if the pastor will preach about service to inspire someone to help--maybe those older women who DO like being around babies will step up.

3. Expect the parents to do their time helping out--once a month or once every 5 weeks or something.

4. See if the teens are interested in being helpers.

Do you go to a Calvary Chapel by any chance??

Nope! We attend a multi-cultural Baptist church. :)

I like the idea of moving up with the same group of kids. I've pretty much done that with vacation Bible school over the past decade. It's been neat watching these kids grow and change.

I swear, some weeks it's social time, lol. We have a rotation, and usually it's an adult and an assistant (small church - we usually have no more than 4 babies). But sometimes there are three ladies chatting and ONE baby.

But we are a really tight, small church and I think every baby is sort of beloved as a "known" child. You know? So sometimes when I have no reason to be in the nursery, I still am because I haven't seen Miles or Abigail in a while.

It's harder for us to get workers for the 3 - 5 group. THAT is work!

We have an over abundance of helpers in the nursery. There is the main volunteers that sign up and they rotate, then there is ones like me that step in and help as needed due to a regular volunteer being absent, or if my little one is not wanting me to go I stay and help the whole room, plus they rotate some of the teens through etc. We have never had an issue of too few workers, and often have to bump people up the bigger ages as that is where we struggle sometimes to find enough help.

You have to personally ask people to volunteer. A lot of times people won't volunteer even if they know there is a need until someone asks them. Just last month, our children's director asked me to work in the nursery and I was happy to help. I just hadn't thought to volunteer.

So is it wrong to expect that the adults who show up to church and do absolutely nothing but listen to the service should help the church in some way? I know they can't be made to, but is it wrong to step up the request for more help?

I've heard before that someone said they hadn't felt lead to do something, but I don't think God necessarily yells in our ear to do something...when instead he might be sitting back wondering why more people aren't doing the right thing.

I truly want to understand this....we have an awesome preacher and service, but volunteering seems to be stinky...and I'm not saying it all has to be for the kids...I'm saying those that come in repeatedly and do nothing to help the church.

So am I wrong for this to aggravate me, is there a different way I should be looking at things?

Thanks for helping me to understand this.

Alison

Alison,

The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord. So, Yes, I believe a person should be led by God and will have it placed upon his/her heart to volunteer. God gives us the desires of our hearts -- I know some people think this means, I want a new car, so God will give it to me. I think that's a Gross misinterpretation. I think the things we love, deep down, are there b/c God puts those loves on our hearts.

IMHO (which is probably unpopular) I think churches very easily fall into the "ministry" trap. Since in Western churches the custom is to have senior ministries, young adults, couples, newly married, children's church, worship teams, ladies bible studies, mens bible studies, teens, middle schools, nursery the list goes on and on and on.....I'm not convinced those are always God's ministries, but what "Man" thinks will provide a nice Church Community for its members. More like a country club with scheduled activities than a place for all to come and worship in one spirit, in truth ---- there for God, not themselves.

I do believe the body should be ministering to each other, so I ask you to consider this. How does the Lord minister to you? My answer to that question is: on a personal level. One on one, providing my needs individually. To me, a non-system where a woman in church comes to me and says, "Please let me enjoy your little one during service today." is much more of God's ministry than dropping off my baby to a teenager, paid employee, or volunteer whose there b/c of the weekly guilt announcement. Or my son noticing that our neighbor is elderly and needs her grass cut. He doesn't need to start a lawn mowing ministry, he just needs to move on those ordered steps.

You never know if those who just come on Sunday aren't offering themselves as living sacrifices to many within the body the rest of the week. God's ministry is not limited to activity between walls on Sunday/Wed service.

I mostly volunteered b/c I felt led to do so. Sometimes I did it out of guilt. When it was guilt -- it never lasted and I found myself judging others who weren't "doing their part." As if I know what their part is? Like I'm God who can decide who will be suited for what j.o.b. in the church.

To summarize, I guess I have a fundamental disagreement with the System that is Modern American Christian Organized Religion. God is surely a God of order, but I think men like little systems we can understand and facilitate. I don't see God as being facilitated. I see Him as a moving spirit, going to each of us individually fulfilling our needs.

If the people won't staff the ministry, then the ministry shouldn't exist.

Just my honest opinion. I mean it to be encouraging.

We're always struggling with having nursery volunteers. We usually need at least 9 volunteers every Sunday for K and under. We like to have enough so that one person only works one Sunday a month. Please help me understand why we don't have more people volunteering, and what we can do to change this.

Thank you,

Alison

It sounds like you are a young church. Are most of your congregation new believers? I once visited an amazing church full of new believers ranging in every age. All the children simply attended the service with their parents (& grandparents). It was one of the most heartwarming services I've ever attended in my life. You could see that the entire family was falling in love with their Savior, not just one family member.

Maybe, for this season, your church isn't meant to have classes for the younger children? Just a thought.

From one who loves to serve in the nursery because those little children are such a hoot!

Edited by Jane

I understand what you're saying, but I have to admit that I'm one of those people who has "done their time" in the nursery and don't want to go back.

When my littles were nursery aged, I was there. I volunteered and was on the rotation. I like *my* babies and toddlers, but I'm not so fond of everyone else's. I figured that because I was making use of the nursery, I should also help in the nursery.

But now, my youngest is 6. I volunteer in AWANA and teach Sunday School. I help clean the church kitchen. I make food and help serve at functions, funerals, etc. I donate my time and $$ to VBS and various mission activities.

It's not like I've done my time in the nursery and now I sit and do nothing. But just because there's a child-related opening doesn't mean that *I* have to fill it.

I really appreciated having a nursery so that I could worship in church or attend Bible study and be able to focus on the Word. I realize what a blessing it is for a young mom to have nursery available. (It was for me!) But I also realized that it would be selfish for me to refuse to help in the nursery if I also wished to make use of it.

One thing that I'm hearing from older women (now that I'm approaching that age) is how much they dislike the *assumption* that they will help in the nursery.(As well as the disapproval the accompanies a refusal.) Why? Just because they have grown children they surely must be leaping to hold any baby that is anywhere nearby?

If every mother with a child in the nursery added her name to the rotation, there would be no nursery issues in most churches. If they have all done that, and there are still vacancies, then, sure- let the body know of the need. But I think that young mothers should volunteer first, before asking others.

And I don't like the assumption that because we are reluctant to volunteer in a *particular* ministry we are somehow not being Christlike. There are plenty of opportunities for service in the church, and different parts of the body serve different functions. Not everybody can be an eye, a foot, or a nursery worker.

Wow, did I write this and accidentally sign it "Hillary in KS"?? :) This is my viewpoint exactly, right down to being less fond of everyone else's babies and toddlers, and doing my part to help in the nursery while my little ones were that age, but not feeling led to help in that way now. My youngest is even six years old too!

Babies and little kids weren't "my thing" before I had my own, and now that mine are older, I'm pretty much back to that mindset. There are so many other things that I am better equipped to do. I help with the youth group weekly, fill in for Sunday school as needed, and do various other things for our church, but I am just not drawn to the nursery. I also agree that if the young mothers will each take a turn on the rotation, along with those women who do dearly love babies/toddlers, that should cover the need in most churches.

We go to a large church, and in order to put your child in nursery you are assigned 6 Sundays a year to volunteer. The volunteering is 6 services per year per family, not per child.

They also have a ratio of adults to babies per age group (1yos, 2yos, etc) and stop accepting babies if a certain class has reached the maximum. I think they use daycare regulations to come up with their ratios.

Our teachers rotate every 3 months and the helpers are our teenagers. They end up only having to help every 2 or so months since the youth leader signed ALL of them up (to help them be responsible). This is for sunday school...we have more issues for during church though.

There were so many Sundays that I had to do it since my kids are there first that I just started to take my children into church. I prefer it because I get to hear the sermon and it has made me be more diligent in my efforts to teach my children to sit still for long periods of time. My middle one is a squermer (sp) but I just sit her with DH :)

Nope! We attend a multi-cultural Baptist church. :)

I like the idea of moving up with the same group of kids. I've pretty much done that with vacation Bible school over the past decade. It's been neat watching these kids grow and change.

That's awesome!! I just completed my first year with 678 (for 6th grade) and I've already become so attached to the girls!! I cannot even imagine how it will be when they graduate high school! I'll probably be crying when they leave! hehe