Menu

What was the last how to homeschool book you bought?

mama25angels

Guest bookwormmama

The 3rd edition of WTM and

Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual

and

Cathy Duff's 100 Picks for Homeschool

Easy Homeschooling Companion by Lorraine Curry. I mostly skimmed thru it. It did care for it and a waste of $$ IMO. I see it going into the garage sale pile along with What Your ___ grader needs to know series. I have 1-6. I am now rereading bith the WTM 2004 edition along with A Charlotte Mason Companion. I enjoy both of these and have started to mark them. I like the CM style for the younger grades but am looking at classical for the higher up grades.

When I decided to homeschool (last year), I checked out at least 20 books from the library. I took notes and made lists. I remember being so confused. Then I read WTM (1st ed.) and I instantly knew exactly what I wanted to do. So, I returned my books and went out and purchased the 2nd edition. Fast-forward to the Williamsburg Conference - I updated and purchased the 3rd edition. So, although I've read a lot, I've only spent money on one book-twice!

I have this one too.....I think it confused me even more!

I also have read the Bluedorn's Teaching the Trivium (will read it again when I dont' want to feel like a total hs failure!)

Let's see.....John Taylor Gatto's Underground History, Charlotte Mason Companion, and some book by Lisa Welchel that really was fluff.

Dawn

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum.

WTM 3rd Edition

I also bought The Paideia of God and Repairing the Ruins (both by Douglas Wilson) from Canon Press. While not homeschool specific, they are Classical Education specific, so I'm looking forward to reading them, but haven't yet started.

The Latin Centered Curriculum. I'd like to buy a copy of the new edition but haven't yet.:001_smile:

The only three I ever actually bought, in order, are WTM, LCC, and LCC2. They are all nicely highlighted and full of sticky notes and sitting next to each other on the shelf.

LCC2 is the last homeschooling book I purchased.

But the last book-to-help-me-homeschool I bought is Teach the Latin, I Pray You, by Paul Distler. It gives a detailed, rigorous-in-a-classical-ed way approach to teaching students to read Latin as Latin. I love it, though it truly is meant for people who already know Latin, as opposed to those still learning it. I'm still getting a lot out of it even with my current state of knowledge, though.

I just sent paypal for "When Children Love to Learn". I recently bought the All Day Charlotte Mason Seminar and have really enjoyed it as well.

I have on my shelf a *ton* of how-to homeschool books. The ones I refer to most often are LCC1 & 2, Charlotte Mason Companion and the CM Homeschooling Series.

• 2 weeks later...

My last purchase was the 1st ed. of LCC...I already had the 2nd. Now I can't decide which I like better!

I also have WTM (2nd ed.), Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year-by-Year, and Nebel's Elementary Education.

My LCC books are by FAR my favorite!