Menu

How do you motivate yourself to do the dishes? I am pretty good at keeping my house clean, except for doing the dishes. I loathe washing dishes! I have a dish washer but we always have too many to fit so I ended up needing to hand wash as well. I can keep up on them for a couple days and then something inevitably keeps me from washing them one evening. Then the next day the pile just gets bigger. I always get them done eventually, but only after we come close to running out of silverware! Anyone else have this issue? I know the solution is to just buckle down and get them done. My husband would definately appreciate a clean countertop at the end of the day.

Ugh. Me too. Only I don't own a dishwasher. How do I motivate myself? Most of the time, I'll tell myself to just go wash them for 15 minutes. Then I can stop. By the time the 15 mins are up, I'm usually done with all of the dishes or close to it. Then I go ahead and finish. For whatever reason, the 15 mins works for me.

A glass of wine and some killer music help here. And although I'm a flylady drop out, I finally get what she was saying about having a clean sink before you go to bed. It is SO nice to wake up to a clean kitchen.

how very funny, i've never heard it referred to that way before!

I did the Flylady thing for a couple weeks and quit. I love waking up to a clean kitchen too! The clean counters, shining sink and empty dish rack just make me happy, but not enough to make me want to wash dishes every night. I think I will have to try setting a timer for 15 minutes and see how far I get. I am not a wine fan, but maybe the husband can make me a yummy mixed drink! Or chocolate, that might do the trick!

My dh is out of town this week. So I'm not cooking (well not very much anyway). And I have been keeping the kitchen so clean! He would be proud of me ;) It's easy to keep the dishes clean when it's just cereal bowls and sandwich plates.

But seriously, no. Once I get behind, it's almost impossible to want to catch up. My only advice is to grit your teeth and clean up the dishes right after every meal. If I don't do it right away, it's easier not to come back to the kitchen at all.

I don't have a dishwasher, and I hate washing dishes. I'm usually able to get them done, but some nights, like tonight, I have a headache and just don't want to.

I will however be happy to pay a child some quarters (depending on how many dishes there are and how clean they get them) to wash some dishes for me.

Since I have one child trying to save up some spending money for the Medieval Faire I don't have to beg too much.

Easy, I do the breakfast dishes and the kids take turns with lunch and dinner. If I only have one "shift" it is not too overwhelming.

Otherwise I try to have a thankful spirit. Thankful to have the blessings of a family, food to eat, dishes and things to cook with..you get the idea, first comes the thought then the habit.

How do you motivate yourself to do the dishes? I am pretty good at keeping my house clean, except for doing the dishes. I loathe washing dishes! I have a dish washer but we always have too many to fit so I ended up needing to hand wash as well. I can keep up on them for a couple days and then something inevitably keeps me from washing them one evening. Then the next day the pile just gets bigger. I always get them done eventually, but only after we come close to running out of silverware! Anyone else have this issue? I know the solution is to just buckle down and get them done. My husband would definately appreciate a clean countertop at the end of the day.

Quit peeking in my window. :tongue_smilie:

My dishwasher is "broken" (Dishwasher Magic is in the mail. Hoping it will work!) and I'd rather do absolutely anything besides doing dishes.

Like you, I'm fine for a few days and then I just lose it. Today would be a "lose it" day!

I finally asked for a small Tv/dvd palyer to put in my klitchen in the corner next to my sink. I love watching an episode of something and wash dishes. Or I also like to talk on the phone with someone and wash dishes. I guess if I distract myself enough, I might forget I am washing dishes. I hate them too, even more than moping.

Last night's conversation about the dishes:

Husband: "Are you ever going to wash all those dishes?"

Me(oh so innocently): "What dishes?"

He is a neat, orderly sort of man and bless him, also very tolerant! Getting started seems to be the biggest problem, after I load the dishwasher there isn't really that much left to wash. Only I can't see that when I'm looking at the disaster on my counter. I told my husband it looked like the cabinets had barfed dirty dishes all over the counter. Well I'm off to unload and reload my dishwasher. Then I think I will wash for 15 minutes and see how far I get. I will probably be done because there aren't that many! I have to remember how pretty it will look come morning!

Laura

I try to clean up the kitchen before before bed, when I am too tired. I put on a Teaching Company DVD and have at it. It is a chore.

If I have too much for the DW, I try to fill it and run it, and in the morning I empty it while making coffee and try to coax hubby to fill it again and run it before I get home.

Dishes after dinner is the bugaboo of many a family, and clean up after dinner is sometimes called The Cyanide Hour....when you want to kill somebody.

Dishes after dinner is the bugaboo of many a family, and clean up after dinner is sometimes called The Cyanide Hour....when you want to kill somebody.

LOL The Cyanide Hour, that's funny. And exactly how I feel! I am trying to clean up and the boys are running around hollering at each other or fighting. Meanwhile the girl is crying, hanging off my leg. I get interrupted so many times it feels like there is no point in coming back to finish it. Ah well, this too shall pass or so they say! I am anxiously awaiting the day I can turn dish duty over to the kids. I have three sisters and my mom rarely ever did a dish from the time we learned how until just a couple years ago when we all moved out.

We don't have a dishwasher either. I'm much more motivated in the winter when I'm freezing and a hot sink of water warms me up. It's harder in summer when I'm already hot and don't want to stick my hands in hot water.

One think I do and I know this is going to sound geeky or just plain weird but... I will look at the pile of dishes and decide how much time it will take and then do the dishes just to see how close I come. I'm getting pretty good at it. I know, I know, I need to get out more.:blush:

The best I ever did was emptying in the morning while I make breakfast, loading throughout the day, and running at night whether it was full or not. I set my delay wash button after dinner to go about 9pm. This way it catches all the miscellaneous dessert dishes and evening drinks.

I found that saving that extra space for the next days dishes, always got me off cycle and I ended up where you are.

Running smaller loads also helped to make it quicker to load (not having to squeeze things in), cleaner dishes (no 2 day old caked on food), and less to put away in the AM.

If you get in the habit of not putting a dish on the counter on the first place you save a lot of time later. When you are done, put it in the dishwasher. Every time you touch the same dirty dish, you are wasting time. Setting in on the counter, putting it in the sink, rearranging the sink to make more room :0), and then loading the dishwasher....this cycle has you touching the same dish 3x more than you needed to and doubles the amount of work needed to do the same amount of dishes.

By leaving the dishes you are literally making more work for yourself.

It all starts with unloading the dishes in the morning. You can even have the kids do it :0). They can put the dishes on the counter by the correct cupboard if they aren't tall enough to reach. Then when you walk by you can just set them in the right spot.

I just do it.

I love getting up in the morning to a clean kitchen. I love coming home to a clean kitchen. So I just do it. I wash dishes immediately after every meal, and miscellaneous dishes during the day, so that the kitchen is always clean. I never leave the house with the kitchen dirty.

Now, floors are a different matter.:)

I'm pretty much w/ Unicorn: I let the older kids and dh do them most of the time.

Our dishwasher has been broken for some time, and getting another one is a sore spot between me and dh. there are very few higher-dollar items that i strongly, repeatedly request, but a working dishwasher is one. Even while we're unemployed [we have enough to cover it --he's just thinking 6 months ahead].

*sigh*

waking up to a clean kitchen doesn't motivate me.

This may be standard practice for most people...but it took me awhile to realize why many people wear gloves to wash dishes. I absolutely feel motivated when I am wearing my size M, purple Playtex dish gloves. My hands don't get wet, I can have the water really hot, and I need only my gloved hands to scrape the plates and pick up trash. I enjoy washing the dishes with my children; we talk and laugh. Alone is another story, because I prefer to wash but not put away. I have a lot of put awayers here.

Janell

I will cook. I will cook things you like. I will cook well and from scratch IF you will do the dishes.

I don't care that much about food. If I had to do the dishes, we would probably eat a lot of salad or sandwiches for dinner. Before we married I lived alone, and oatmeal or a banana seemed like a reasonable dinner to me. I am really cooking to please him (and now the children). So my DH has always done the dishes. He gets them all washed, and right before bed I dry off any pots and pans that need it and I put them away.

My DH has a very demanding job, and sometimes I feel guilty about this. But I try to keep the kitchen neat all day - I do all the breakfast and lunch dishes and try not to make a huge mess when I cook. It's the only housework he regularly does, and he doesn't seem to mind in a big picture sense, though of course there are days he doesn't love it. Neither one of us could cope with leaving dishes undone, though.

LOL The Cyanide Hour, that's funny. And exactly how I feel! I am trying to clean up and the boys are running around hollering at each other or fighting. Meanwhile the girl is crying, hanging off my leg.

Put your little in a backpack carrier and talk to her. Stick the older boys in front of a nature video....or have Dad take them to the park. Then: clean up at high speed.

I don't wash dishes, my husband does. My dd or I will wash our own dishes as we go during the day, so they don't build up. I meal plan, shop, and cook, but don't DO dishes. ;)

I am thankful that he doesn't mind doing dishes because I HATE that job.

I clean pots/pans right after using them.

MOTIVATION: The food will turn into concrete and be much harder to wash off.

I wash dishes after each meal.

MAJOR MOTIVATION: If the dishes are not dealt with right away, I shall have no workspace in the kitchen for preparing the next meal.

We have a dishwasher, and use it. We also have items which should be washed by hand to prevent damage in the dishwasher. We were without a dishwasher for three years, and it was harder.

Washing dishes is no big deal. My father trained me so thoroughly when I was a child !

I load the dishwasher and ds9 is responsible for unloading it. I try to load it back up as as soon as possible. But I hate dishes as well. At least at this house. No counter space for a drainer (I know I could use the dishwasher racks but they are usually full) and I hate rinsing dishes over clean dishes. Right now I have a bunch of stuff that doesn't wash well in the machine stacked in one side.

Personally I think I Just have too many dishes.