Menu

Anyone else NOT doing AP, Honors or CC classes?

We are just not interested in making the school she has now harder with AP and Honors classes.

My DD will be starting 10th she will be doing:

Jacobs Geometry

Notgrass US History with Literature

Analytical Grammar

Apologia Biology

Greek II

Ballet

Ballroom

Bible during family time(not credit)

At-home course of home-ec course-she is an excellent seamstress, cook, baby helper (we have two toddlers and another on the way), crafter etc.

She is not sure if she will go to college. She is very bright and I am not saying academics are not important to us, but we would rather have her be a big part of our family now and prepare for a future family too.

I am trying to decide if we should do some of the SAT subject tests to have a backup if she wants to go on in school.

We are just not interested in making the school she has now harder with AP and Honors classes and we don't want to send her to the local Jr. college.

My son never went to an outside class when in high school, all at home. No SAT subject tests. No standardized testing. Some of his classes ended up being honors because he did so much in them. He had no trouble getting into college, and got a scholarship. He did get a good SAT score, so that helped. And, we are in a very homeschool friendly state.

I do think it would have helped to take a college class or two to get him used to a teacher and a classroom in prep for college. He did have a bit of an adjustment having his first class as a college student.

Well, sort of...we're doing a class or two at the local highschool in Michigan so my son can play sports...but we're not doing honors (no validity in college in any case, IMHO) or AP courses (the only validity there is passing the AP exam. I took all AP courses in hs because I enjoyed them; I passed several AP exams (French, physics); I was supposed to matriculate as a sophomore at my college and my mother was adamantly opposed to that. She was right. A 17 year old doesn't have (or, at least, I didn't have) the maturity to be a second-year college student away from home.

With my first 3 the only extra classes we did were writing workshops online...But, we didn't do any Honors/ AP, SAT2,or CC classes. (My son did graduate a year early and did 2 CC classes in the 2cnd 1/2 of the year because he needed to do something besides work :-) )

My daughters both graduated from our homeschool and went to CC at 18 years old. They both got basically straight A's there (one dd had a B somewhere in there...) Oldest dd graduated with her BA Summa Cum Laude...got a great scholarship when she transferred out of CC to her 4 year school and was working in her field 6 months before graduation. They snagged her right up!

DD 2 is graduating from CC in Dec. and we are now deciding where she will go...but I am sure a nice chunk of change will be part of the package.

Now for ds 2, I am not sure whether or not to follow the same route...I don't want to close any avenues for him...so, we may do more SAT2's...but not unless I am absolutely sure he can handle them...and we are going to do tons of SAT prep....

Anyway...you can complete homeschool...or any high school for that matter without all those harder courses (although my kids have told me how much harder my coursework was than their CC classes. They said it was a nice break from me...:001_huh:)

It all really depends on your child's goals. Not everyone competes on the same plane and if your plane if different, it doesn't mean it is necessarily wrong or lower...

Good Luck!!

Faithe

My oldest (a rising senior) is only going to have one CC course - an English Composition course (college level) prior to going to college. He's taking it this fall. We haven't had any problems (so far) with college admissions... and many colleges are offering to waive the application fee (both from places he's thinking about attending and places he has no interest in going to).

He did take the SAT and scored well. I would have had him take a couple of SAT 2 tests this past year, but so far, no school he's been interested in has wanted them, so I opted to save the $$.

I do think it's important (if going this route) to have high SAT (or ACT) scores. I think that's opened a lot of doors for us - and hopefully will also provide a decent amount of college $$ beyond application fee waivers. If someone doesn't have decent SAT scores I would think having some extra 'proof' of being able to do the coursework would make getting accepted easier.

We have decided that you are an adult for a very long time, but the teenage years are short. There are many things our children can only experience now and then the opportunity is gone. Though we believe a "book learning" education is important, it is only a small part of their life education.

Our kids have pursued sports (daughter had the privilege of placing 5th at state this year), they have volunteered each summer at a Bible camp, our daughter has been a summer missionary the last three summers and her younger brother is planning to do the same starting next year. We have set school aside for the chance to do things as a family or help others in need. One has pursued music, another computer interests.

One last thing that we feel is extremely important for teens is time just to be, time to think or just to stare at the walls, time to process life.

To pursue heavier educational paths in high school would take so much time that many if not all of these and other opportunities would be lost. The sacrifice was not worth it to us.

Cindy

Guest Katia
We have decided that you are an adult for a very long time, but the teenage years are short. There are many things our children can only experience now and then the opportunity is gone. Though we believe a "book learning" education is important, it is only a small part of their life education.

Our kids have pursued sports (daughter had the privilege of placing 5th at state this year), they have volunteered each summer at a Bible camp, our daughter has been a summer missionary the last three summers and her younger brother is planning to do the same starting next year. We have set school aside for the chance to do things as a family or help others in need. One has pursued music, another computer interests.

One last thing that we feel is extremely important for teens is time just to be, time to think or just to stare at the walls, time to process life.

To pursue heavier educational paths in high school would take so much time that many if not all of these and other opportunities would be lost. The sacrifice was not worth it to us.

Cindy

:iagree:You are a kindred spirit indeed. We believe much the same and my dds are not/did not take any cc or AP classes. Older dd had no problem being accepted into all colleges she applied to, and I believe younger dd will be just as fine.

However, my older ds took cc classes concurrently with high school and.....it was a good experience for him, but had we to do-over he would have stayed at home and just.....been a teen. As it was, he spent two semesters (at different times during his college years) at home regrouping. He turned out ok though. :D

Thanks for expressing my own thoughts so much clearer than I would have been able to. :001_smile: