Menu

Nursing covers

I only ever used a baby and a t-shirt. The baby covers my tummy, and the t-shirt covers my booKs.

Well, that's after baby has figured out how to latch on properly. Until then, I was pretty much n*de from the waist up much of the day & night. :D

IME, nursing covers are a lot more obvious than simply lifting and latching. They practically scream "booKs in use!" Whereas we minimalists look as if we're holding a baby unless you are scrutinizing the scene, and know what to look for. ;)

There, there, you asked for advice from people who use covers and therefore *want* to use them. So I'm hijacking, I suppose. My bad. Feel free to ignore my ramblings. :lol:

Edited by Sharon H in IL
to replace vowels with *s and euphemisms!

I recently bought a Hooter Hider/Bebe au Lait cover, and I've been pleased with it. It goes on and off easy, I like the rigid top, so I can see my baby (and she can see me), it's plenty big but not unwieldy, it folds/rolls up quick, and it doesn't take up too much space in my diaper bag. Shipped quick, too.

Wow, that is just the neatest thing and I love the name! :tongue_smilie:

I always felt like those things were a lot more conspicuous than just turning to a wall for a second, latching on, and then sitting there with baby/shirt covering me. Occasionally a sling thrown over my shoulder... Those nursing covers always looked to me more like, "Hey! Look! Nursing mom over here!" Whereas the rest of the time no one ever noticed. (Well, except when my babies like to hum/sing while they nursed. Not much I could do about their audible enjoyment.) ;)

The baby covers my tummy, and the t-shirt covers my booKs.
Yeah, that works - unless your baby hates to have fabric anywhere near her face, and keeps pushing the shirt away :tongue_smilie:. I'm just happy if I'm not showing nipple :D.

IME, nursing covers are a lot more obvious than simply lifting and latching. They practically scream "booKs in use!"
Actually, I find that a feature, not a bug ;). I only got a cover as a compromise with my dh. He just accepted a call to pastor a new congregation, and asked that I please not nurse uncovered in front of everyone, so not to complicate his ministry before it even begins by causing offense. Yeah, people who are offended by nursing are the ones who need to change, not me, but he has a point - nursing uncovered is not a hill I need to die on.

But I will NOT allow myself to be segregated just b/c I'm feeding my child. So we compromised - I'd use a cover in mixed company. The fact that makes it more obvious what I am doing is just an added plus ;).

I have never used one of those covers... I usually am either at home, or nurse in the car or discreetly facing away from the crowd or whatnot...

I always thought those pocho type sweaters that were popular a few years back would be perfect for nursing though. Especially if they were a loose knit...

But, I wanted to show you this thing... Not sure if you'd need one, but I saw Michelle Duggar using it on their show while she was just walking around. It straps around you...

http://www.mybrestfriend.com/aboutus

This thread just reminded me of it, so I thought I'd mention it. It seemed pretty cool. It seemed to help her free up a hand, she just lays the baby on it an uses one hand to help support it and then she has another free hand, which I am sure she needs!

To keep your tummy covered you could try a Belly Hugger or something similar... (I think there is one called Bella Band...I am sure there are other I just can't remember the names right now! lol)

They are great because they just go under your shirt...for my babies the nursing cover was just something they could swat at and try to knock down lol...

I usually dressed in layers - a button-up shirt with a t-shirt or tank top beneath. The outer shirt covers the belly and I'd use a receiving blanket for covering baby. I tried a commercial cover (for lack of a better term) and found it to be a hassle to get on and off - a receiving blanket, I could just toss over my shoulder and leave a peek space so I could see the baby.

I will check out the hooter hider since I'll be breastfeeding again by January, but I may just stick with my old methods.

I usually went with a cami and shirt--cami down, shirt up, so I didn't bare belly, which partly I didn't like to show and partly DD liked to rub and it annoyed me.

Also, for discreet public nursing, a sling can be a wonderful option. I nursed DD in the Maya Wrap and, when she was bigger, in an asian-style baby carrier. With the former, the tail could be brought over for privacy, and with the latter, I just had to loosen the shoulders a bit so she sat lower to reach.

I personally can't stand nursing cover-ups that are expressly that; it's like putting a sign on your forehead "look, I'm breastfeeding!!!", and DD tended not to want her head covered.

I was going to put this hint that i learned with baby #3, but then I figured everyone knew it, and then I thought "I didn't" so . . .This is like a nursing cover, but it is just your shirt. I always wore button up shirts with first 2 boys - easier access. But no one ever told me that I should unbutton from the bottom > up. I always flashed a lot unbuttoning from the top. If you unbutton from the bottom, your shirt is an automatic nursing cover. I was covered well on top by a buttoned shirt and on the bottom by baby.