Menu

DVD's to support 2nd grade

caitlinsmom

We are not a TV family at all but with the new baby coming during this school year I would like to have a list of decent DVD's that supplement our learning. We are using SOTW 2 and R.E.A.L science Earth and Space.

Any suggestions that you have found to be interesting, appropriate, fun etc? Something to keep two TV bored kids entertained during nursing moments! :)

Also a no t.v. family here. These are the DVDs we own and love that could be considered schoolish:

Magic School Bus DVDs (we have them all; Space Adventures fits your science)

Liberty's Kids (fits SOTW 3, not 2, but they are so good and they would fill a lot of time)

Planet Earth (more bio/geology themed but my girls watch mesmerized)

I strongly recommend Discovery Education United Streaming PLus from Homeschool Buyers Co-op. It has thousands of videos on math, science, history, phonics, spelling, art, music, foreign language, english, reading, social studies, health, etc. There is a free trial available last I checked for 30 days:) MY dh has the computer hooked to TV so we can watch on the TV:)

Edited by priscilla
spelling

I strongly recommend Discovery Education United Streaming PLus from Homeschool Buyers Co-op. It has thousands of videos on math, science, history, phonics, spelling, art, music, foreign language, english, reading, social studies, health, etc. There is a free trial available last I checked for 30 days:) MY dh has the computer hooked to TV so we can wathc on the TV:)

How did you go about hooking the laptop up to the tv? We can not figure out how to do it.

Thanks, Erin

I agree re Magic School Bus and Liberty's Kids.

One son loved Popular Mechanics for Kids at that age -- at our library and NetFlix.

Same re Cyberchase -- learned a lot of math that way. We all still watch Cyberchase.

Love the Schlessinger Media DVDs. We have tons at our library -- Math for children, Countries of the World, a series on Biomes, a series on economics for children, a series about the Ancient World, space series, a fun series for older kids on BBC Math. There are more series that I can't remember. My rising second grader is just at the right age to "get" a lot of these.

Our library just got Math Monsters on DVD which is fun too.

There's a series of videos that accompany the Venezia great artists series that my kids really like. (At my library.)

Walking with Dinosaurs was great (and the accompanying ones) but there's a younger kids' version -- Dinosaur Planet, I believe.

Realize many of these may not fit into WTM for you right now but they are all educational and fun, which I like at any time!

There are great Science and History Channel and PBS documentaries, many available at Netflix, but my 7 year old doesn't stick to most of them.

I will have to ask my dh, but I do know that we have a cable hooked to the tv from the computer and to our stereo as well:) He also has the computer monitor set up so that you can actually be using the computer at the same time as my ds is watching the TV with discovery education:) He has it set to a double screen on the computer monitor and videos automatically show up on the tv. I will ask him and post when I get the answer:)

I strongly recommend Discovery Education United Streaming PLus from Homeschool Buyers Co-op. It has thousands of videos on math, science, history, phonics, spelling, art, music, foreign language, english, reading, social studies, health, etc. There is a free trial available last I checked for 30 days:) MY dh has the computer hooked to TV so we can wathc on the TV:)

I agree. A lot of the series recommended are available through Discovery Streaming. They have Magic School Bus, Liberty's Kids, Weston Woods films, etc. And you can search whatever you are currently studying and find videos that correspond.

Yes, United Streaming saved my life when I had a new baby! hee hee! There were many days when I hadn't prepped well enough for history or science, and those are days when I'd just look up their appropriate topics on DE and let them watch a video to cover that topic for the day! And when they had finished, they'd all get to enjoy watching Magic School Bus or Peep in the Big Wide World (on DE as well) with their little 3yo sister. It was like a prize, "When you finish your work we can turn on an episode of Peep!!" ;-p

I don't know the difference bet. the 2 versions (United Streaming and United Streaming Plus). I know one is $129 and the other is $199 at Homeschool buyers coop. I will have to look into the differences and see if it's worth it to upgrade this year.....

Good luck to you!

- Stacey in MA

How is the picture quality. I had a subscription in the past and the picture quality was not good with a full screen view. How is it hooked to the television?

Usually the picture is good. Some of the videos are a little grainy, but it never takes away from the quality or enjoyment.

My dh says:

"Our computer has an HDMI video output, we hooked it up to the HDTV that way. One problem we encountered is that the HDMI output did not give sound, so we hooked the sound up separately via the audio output from the computer. Your computer may or may not send audio via the HDMI output.

We set it up to use the regular monitor as primary and the TV as secondary monitor, in "extended desktop" configuration. The ATI video driver has a thing called "Theater Mode" that automatically puts video up in full screen on the secondary monitor.

If you don't have an HDMI output or HDTV, you might have an S-Video output on the laptop that should allow the same thing - though you'll definitely have to hook up the audio separately in that case as well."

I hope this helps:)

How is the picture quality. I had a subscription in the past and the picture quality was not good with a full screen view. How is it hooked to the television?

I was concerned about this too. When I had it previously it popped up as a small screen and the quality was even bad in it. But I hear so many good things I'm on the verge of trying it again.

How does Cosmeo compare, either in content or picture quality?

Cosmeo is more of a homework help from what I recall. It does not have the thousands of full length videos that Discovery Education United Streaming has. I would see if they still have 30 day free trial:)

The picture quality is fine and we have a 32 inch HDTV tube TV. The picture fills up the screen.:)