Menu

Field trip ideas

Sasharowan

I'm looking for field trip ideas for the next year. We have done a lot of the natural and historical stuff in our area, so I thought I would try for some different ones this year. We are studying Chemistry in science so I thought something chemistry related would be cool, then I drew a blank. So do any of you have ideas for chemistry related field trips?

Thanks

This may sound strange, but a bakery might fit the bill. I used to take my preschool classes to visit a local bakery that provides breads to lots of area restaurants. The owner had started the business after several trips to Europe to learn the craft, and he said for older students he went over the scientific end of things in baking as well as how different techniques had developed. I ended up learning a lot -- it was certainly something I had never put a lot of thought into before visiting.

We have pretzel and potato chip factories in our area --- very interesting field trips. How about a cookie factory?

Water treatment plant.

Newspaper center

Hydro plant.....just about any manufacturing facility IF you can get your children into them. Some have an age restriction.

Carole

Yes, as others have said, for chemistry, we've done "chemistry of cooking" activities and visited bread bakeries, donut makers, ice cream makers, candy makers, various breweries and distilleries and wineries; cheese makers, and dairy production facilities.

We've visited potters and glass blowing factories; as well as other factories that make various products utilizing chemistry; soap makers, etc.

Water treatment plants and sewage plants are also terrific places to see chemistry in action, as are recycling facilities and other waste management areas.