Menu

Worth having HSLDA?

HSLDA had a free trial membership for a short time this summer, so we joined. Our first official year starts in the fall. It's now time to renew. It's a lot of money and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Opinions pro and con would be helpful.

Thanks!

If you understand what HSLDA is, and what is not, and still want to give them your money, you might be swayed by the situation of whatever state you live in. More "homeschooling hostile" states might influence you to join. Here, in Texas, I would not waste the money on HSLDA. (Nor would I join them because they are not an insurance plan for possible problems. HSLDA makes zippo guarantee that they ever will help a family, no matter what the situation may be. They pick-and-choose only the cases which advance their own agendum.)

HSLDA had a free trial membership for a short time this summer, so we joined. Our first official year starts in the fall. It's now time to renew. It's a lot of money and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Opinions pro and con would be helpful.

Thanks!

I view it as insurance. We live in Virginia, and in their last magazine, there was an issue in the county we used to live in :scared:...we're only 2 counties over now. I agree that it's a chunk of money, and I really hope we never need to call on them, but if someone ever comes knocking on my door, I can say "Let me call my lawyer" :)

Rita

If you understand what HSLDA is, and what is not, and still want to give them your money, you might be swayed by the situation of whatever state you live in. More "homeschooling hostile" states might influence you to join. Here, in Texas, I would not waste the money on HSLDA. (Nor would I join them because they are not an insurance plan for possible problems. HSLDA makes zippo guarantee that they ever will help a family, no matter what the situation may be. They pick-and-choose only the cases which advance their own agendum.)

I was wondering about that. I'm in Louisiana, and while we're not as open as Texas, it's definitely not a hostile environment. I'm not sure that I agree with their whole agenda, anyway.

Wow. I so did not know that. I'll have to rethink when it comes time to renew :(

Rita

The phrase "When you're a hammer everything looks like a nail" comes to mind.

I think that they have far outlived any perceived usefulness. It seems that they are reluctant to get involved in most cases, citing "custody issues" which they refuse to help with.

I don't think that they are necessary, imho and some of their legal advice is ....sketchy, to say the least. (how to deal with social workers, for one)

http://hsislegal.com/

When I ran across this website, I was quite surprised to learn that some people feel there is a "down side" to the organization. HSLDA's pervasive advertising implies that joining is a "no brainer."

I don't think so, any more.

The group may be a genuine blessing for some families. They were instrumental in helping Texas to retain its homeschooling freedoms. The organization just is not the "salvific" necessity one is encouraged to believe it to be.

As the website says, read the website claims, and decide for oneself.

We joined last year after realizing our son had learning disabilities. We also had friends in the same school district as us get harassment from the school district over the forms we are required to turn in-they forgot one and a truant officer became involved. They finally called HSLDA because the district was not listening and threatening legal action. If HSLDA hadn't contacted the school, I think it would have become much uglier. Our main state organization is connected to HSLDA and they keep an attorney as well.

Anyway, after our friends were harassed, we joined. My dh feels more secure paying that $9 a month, especially with a special needs child who will need accommodations for testing and is quite far behind grade level for same aged peers. If something happens and you are a member, you have to be able to provide very good educational records and proof of planning. So if you are a semi-unschooler it might be difficult. Last year when I called to ask some questions, I was not real happy with the answers the person on the phones gave because they didn't seem well thought out.

I would also prefer that they just focused on homeschool and homeschool problems. While I agree with some of their opinions as a Christian, I don't want them to fight or comment on other aspects like homosexuality. The more time they spend on those topics, the less they spend on homeschooling. They do pick and choose cases according to state, lawyers available, and so on. In some states they have a difficult time finding attorneys who can or are willing to represent the families.

I've been homeschooling for five years in MO and now Louisiana. We have never joined. We follow the private school option in Louisiana and I have notification from the state that we are registered as a private school. Our state actually sends back a form letter confirming our registration. We are required to do 180 days and I keep an attendance record (although we are not required to show it anyone)

Not only do I not agree with all of their political stances, I do not feel our family is threatened as homeschoolers. We live in a community that is not hostile to homeschoolers, we don't have neighbors or relatives that might chose to harass us and so I have felt very comfortable not being a member.

I've been homeschooling for five years in MO and now Louisiana. We have never joined. We follow the private school option in Louisiana and I have notification from the state that we are registered as a private school. Our state actually sends back a form letter confirming our registration. We are required to do 180 days and I keep an attendance record (although we are not required to show it anyone)

Thank you!! This helps a lot. We aren't going to declare this year since dd is only 5(she has a late March birthday). But I wondered what/if the state sent anything back at all.

we joined our first year, but i'm pretty confident about knowing [and asserting] our laws/rights chapter and verse, so i haven't joined since.

I don't think they have outlived their usefulness --obviously there are many states that are still itching to make homeschooling illegal and/or individual authorities that will make homeschooling illegal if they can slip it in somehow. the NEA still officially opposes homeschooling: when they recognize homeschooling as a viable alternative, then i might seriously consider dumping a homeschool legal defense association. The reason "fear-mongering" works is because people have real reasons to be fearful, esp with the UNCotRotC. But if one disagrees with the risk, then the argument is dismissed as "fear mongering." I'd want more evidence than throwing in the typical "fear mongering" card.

i do think they have shot themselves in the foot by aligning with too many non-homeschooling issues, making their own organization weaker. But even with that, there are some times where just "calling in the big guns" and name-dropping HSLDA will get you results that individuals hadn't been able to achieve. i saw that in NY.

In TX, I do encourage homeschoolers to join THSC if they can afford to and/or want to support legal watchdogging in TX. I have not joined [too cheap --back to that frugality thread :D], but i do follow their emails and alerts. Tim Lambert is an amazing leader.

It's not so much the fear-mongering, but the way they jump in and push the state grass-roots organizations out of the way. We've had that problem here in Illinois (where we have GREAT laws) and made more work for us to get some items defeated. I have heard of back room deals elsewhere, too. That is what I don't like. They don't speak for me so they should not take away my right to speak.

It's not so much the fear-mongering, but the way they jump in and push the state grass-roots organizations out of the way.

:iagree:

THSC has been on opposite sides of HSLDA on at least one issue, but i think a lot of that is because Tim Lambert is such a strong leader.

I'm in the, "anything but HSLDA," camp and I think they do more harm then good in the grand scheme of things. They champion stances on issues (homosexuality, guns, spanking) that have little to do with what they claim is their reason for existence. They encourage the a climate of fear and helplessness (I can't say how many times I've been tempted to hit my head with a keyboard at some of the stupid cases they trumpet that could have been solved by a homeschooling mom who simply knew her local laws). They damage grassroots state organizations. They represent themselves as some sort of reflection of homeschoolers as a whole when they in fact represent only a small cultural slice.

I could go on.

Don't you all see that when HSLDA or any other organization pushes so hard on issues such as spanking, homosexuality, UNRotC, etc, that it protects homeschooling? Once you let the govt tell you how to run one part of your family life, it's only a short time before they tell you that you must send your children to a sub-par ps. To protect us as homeschool families, they must protect the rights of families/parents to make their own choices.

We are members and have been very happy with them. I have called with questions and have received answers from our state attorney over the phone that we were very comfortable with.

The other statements now make me want to look into more information on them, but overall we are very pleased. You have to decide what is best for your family....

A few years ago, HSLDA howled long-and-loud about the "right" to own guns. There was a push to ban guns from school grounds, and HSLDA had the idiotic compulsion to yowl in the courts how homeschools needed explicitly to be exempt from such a law. I wrote them a letter about it. Wish I had kept the silly reply that I received.

I'm in the, "anything but HSLDA," camp and I think they do more harm then good in the grand scheme of things. They champion stances on issues (homosexuality, guns, spanking) that have little to do with what they claim is their reason for existence. They encourage the a climate of fear and helplessness (I can't say how many times I've been tempted to hit my head with a keyboard at some of the stupid cases they trumpet that could have been solved by a homeschooling mom who simply knew her local laws). They damage grassroots state organizations. They represent themselves as some sort of reflection of homeschoolers as a whole when they in fact represent only a small cultural slice.

I could go on.

Don't you all see that when HSLDA or any other organization pushes so hard on issues such as spanking, homosexuality, UNRotC, etc, that it protects homeschooling? Once you let the govt tell you how to run one part of your family life, it's only a short time before they tell you that you must send your children to a sub-par ps. To protect us as homeschool families, they must protect the rights of families/parents to make their own choices.

I don't think that HSLDA's stance necessarily always comes down behind the rights of families/parents to make their own choices, but I don't want to turn this thread.

I do appreciate the input and info on HSLDA - my freebie membership is almost up too and I'm debating on whether to continue. HSLDA has a lot of stances that I just don't agree with, but there is that little bit of worry in the back of my mind.

I joined the Canadian HLSDA. Before doing so, however, I called and spoke directly to the fellow who runs it. I wanted to be *sure*, before I sent in my money that a) it was a case they could do something about and b) that they WOULD do something, if possible. I was assured, yes, they most certainly COULD prevent WCB from forcing me out of the home during 'school hours' (I worked 3-11 to facilitate homeschooling), that Worker's Comp demands would be met with their getting involved, etc, etc.

So, I sent in my money.

I talked to the lawyer once since, and that's it. What he had told me BEFORE I sent in my money turned out to be not the case at all. I called back later, and never have I recieved a return call.

I feel totally ripped off by HSLDA, and won't be renewing my membership. They did NOTHING at all for me, despite my calling ahead, faxing info, etc.

by Wishbone dawn

I could go on.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I would not join HSLDA.

It bothers me in two senses.

One, they don't claim to be some sort of family rights organization. They claim to be there to offer support and aid to homeschoolers when their rights are challenged by the state. That's what most people sign up for. To then take money they make from dues to further other causes seems to many to be unethical.

Two, I don't agree with your, or the HSLDA's, basic assumption that they are on the right side of those issues. I don't have a problem with gay rights or the UNRotC for instance and many other homeschoolers don't. Which leads to the last reason I'm not in favour of the HSLDA but forgot to mention.

The HSLDA encourages the view that it represents the interests of all homeschoolers. People who aren't familiar with homeschooling look at it, it's crusades and it's statistics and tend to assume it's a reflection of the homeschooling community as a whole. The HSLDA is quite happy with this. But it's a lie and a denial of the diversity in homeschooling communities. We are not all HSLDA model members. Some of us are Catholic or Mormon, some of us aren't Christian or believers. Some of us are gay and some of us don't spank.

As for government control, heck, the real remedy for that is to take responsibility ourselves, not cede it to an organization that truly isn't accountable to it's members.

HSLDA has a lot of stances that I just don't agree with, but there is that little bit of worry in the back of my mind.

I always find that if that's a motivation, that little bit of fear or worry, to do something or not do something in my life then I'm about to make a mistake. :) I also find that I now mistrust organizations, companies or whatever that try to play to that bit of fear or worry. It's simply a way for them to give the run around to reason.

I view it as insurance. We live in Virginia, and in their last magazine, there was an issue in the county we used to live in :scared:...we're only 2 counties over now. I agree that it's a chunk of money, and I really hope we never need to call on them, but if someone ever comes knocking on my door, I can say "Let me call my lawyer" :)

Rita

:iagree:I view it as insurance as well. It helps me sleep at night, KWIM.;) You never know when or if you will get that knock on your door. It is much easier to stand on your 4th amendment right when you can say, "Please, you must speak with my lawyer."

From reading their emails, you can learn what to do and what not to do if the time ever comes.

I would not join for many of the same reasons others who posted wouldn't.

They lobby about more than just homeschooling and most of their stances do not sit well with me.

They represent a certain type of homeschooler and not all the wide varieties of homeschoolers in America.

They require a curriculum of sort to be listed with them on file- this is clearly not a pro-homeschooling thing to do. The less that we as homeschoolers have to provide to organizations about what we do at home then the less likely the gov't will ever mandate that we as homeschoolers must do xyz b/c this % of homeschoolers do xyz.

Just from interest, not to stage combat, would you still wish to be a member if you understood that HSLDA membership is NOT "insurance" ? They are not obligated to represent you; they choose their cases. No matter how severe your circumstances may be, HSLDA calls all the shots.

:iagree:I view it as insurance as well. It helps me sleep at night, KWIM.;) You never know when or if you will get that knock on your door. It is much easier to stand on your 4th amendment right when you can say, "Please, you must speak with my lawyer."

From reading their emails, you can learn what to do and what not to do if the time ever comes.

And what exactly is their agenda? :confused:

Some people get upset because they refuse to get involved in divorce cases. When one parent wants to continue to HS and the other does not. They are of the opinion that in these cases it is a family matter and not an HS rights issue.

They are profamily and parental rights. They are very concerned with the erosion of our constitutional rights: mainly the 4th amendment.

There is more that you can find out from their website.

I have speculated that HSLDA opposes divorce, as part of their outlook, and that is their real reason for staying out of such cases. Just use nice "cover words" to get out of being helpful. Their alleged reason for existence is to support homeschooling. This is "selective support".

Some people get upset because they refuse to get involved in divorce cases. When one parent wants to continue to HS and the other does not. They are of the opinion that in these cases it is a family matter and not an HS rights issue.

They are profamily and parental rights. They are very concerned with the erosion of our constitutional rights: mainly the 4th amendment.

There is more that you can find out from their website.

Just from interest, not to stage combat, would you still wish to be a member if you understood that HSLDA membership is NOT "insurance" ? They are not obligated to represent you; they choose their cases. No matter how severe your circumstances may be, HSLDA calls all the shots.

I knew that before I signed up to be a member. I had looked at the cases taken and read a lot of anti-HSLDA websites. So, I understand what I am paying for and what they require of me. I also understood that I have neighbors here in NJ who are of the type who like to make trouble.

Thankfully they have since moved and a pro-homeschooling family has moved in from NC.:hurray:

I have speculated that HSLDA opposes divorce, as part of their outlook, and that is their real reason for staying out of such cases. Just use nice "cover words" to get out of being helpful. Their alleged reason for existence is to support homeschooling. This is "selective support".

:iagree:I think you have a point here, but they are upfront about not taking these cases. These cases are also very expensive. They are very strong advocates for parental rights. Isn't that their main legal argument that we as parents have the right to educate our children as we see fit? If you have one parent wanting to homeschool their children and the other wanting private or public school, they are both within their parental rights. There doesn't seem to be a place for HSLDA in these types of cases.

Your reply is most sensible.

I think my problem is that HSLDA presents itself as support for homeschooling, but their "background operation" is to "mix/meddle/whatever one's view" with myriad other issues. If HSLDA wants to champion homeschooling, then stick to that and that alone. If HSLDA wants to champion "rights of all parents, everywhere", then stick to that -- and be consistent enough to champion "ALL parents", even those whom they don't approve of. If homeschooling is their "substance", then they should support the homeschooling parent. Court cases are expensive. Maybe HSLDA could stop spending membership money on their "other platforms" and use all funds exclusively for member needs !

Glad you have friendly neighbors now ! Are they users of this board, by chance ?!

:iagree:I think you have a point here, but they are upfront about not taking these cases. These cases are also very expensive. They are very strong advocates for parental rights. Isn't that their main legal argument that we as parents have the right to educate our children as we see fit? If you have one parent wanting to homeschool their children and the other wanting private or public school, they are both within their parental rights. There doesn't seem to be a place for HSLDA in these types of cases.

No, my neighbors do not homeschool. They just support it. I think he would love for her to do it.;) She states that she doesn't have the time.:001_huh:

HSLDA did spin off and started a new group: Parental Rights. I think it is their opinion that this is the key to keeping homeschool legal.

Your reply is most sensible.

I think my problem is that HSLDA presents itself as support for homeschooling, but their "background operation" is to "mix/meddle/whatever one's view" with myriad other issues. If HSLDA wants to champion homeschooling, then stick to that and that alone. If HSLDA wants to champion "rights of all parents, everywhere", then stick to that -- and be consistent enough to champion "ALL parents", even those whom they don't approve of. If homeschooling is their "substance", then they should support the homeschooling parent. Court cases are expensive. Maybe HSLDA could stop spending membership money on their "other platforms" and use all funds exclusively for member needs !

Glad you have friendly neighbors now ! Are they users of this board, by chance ?!

I used to belong as a way to help support their work on behalf of other parents who were being harrassed by state employees.

Money got tight, and the lack of real threat to our family, plus as a (non-licensed) lawyer myself I don't feel unable to deal with any harrassment that might occur, thus we dropped our membership.

They require a curriculum of sort to be listed with them on file- this is clearly not a pro-homeschooling thing to do. The less that we as homeschoolers have to provide to organizations about what we do at home then the less likely the gov't will ever mandate that we as homeschoolers must do xyz b/c this % of homeschoolers do xyz.

I'm not sure where you got this information but this is incorrect. I've belong to HSLDA for 10 years and they do not require curriculum to be listed with on file. I can't remember the exact wording of the statement they ask you to sign, but it's something that indicates you are following some sort of course of study. I've often thought that even if we were unschoolers, we would have no trouble signing that statement as it is vague enough to include all styles.

They seem to push certain political things that I'm not always comfortable with. While nothing is springing to mind right now (of course!!), I know I've had questions in the past.

I agree. One of the things that springs to mind is something they were pushing last year. They were opposed to a bill allowing gay couples to adopt. First off, I don't see how that has anything to do with homeschooling. It doesn't. It is not a school/education issue. Second, I'm not opposed to gay people adopting (not debating the issue -- just stating I'm not against it). I don't want to give my money to a homeschooling organization that supports political agendas that fall outside the realm of homeschooling. The way I figure it, if I end up having a problem with my school district that I can't handle with my knowledge of the homeschool laws in my state, then I will hire my own lawyer. It's not likely that will ever happen, and we recently have had a lot of upheaval in my state.

One, they don't claim to be some sort of family rights organization. They claim to be there to offer support and aid to homeschoolers when their rights are challenged by the state. That's what most people sign up for. To then take money they make from dues to further other causes seems to many to be unethical.

Two, I don't agree with your, or the HSLDA's, basic assumption that they are on the right side of those issues. I don't have a problem with gay rights or the UNRotC for instance and many other homeschoolers don't. Which leads to the last reason I'm not in favour of the HSLDA but forgot to mention.

The HSLDA encourages the view that it represents the interests of all homeschoolers. People who aren't familiar with homeschooling look at it, it's crusades and it's statistics and tend to assume it's a reflection of the homeschooling community as a whole. The HSLDA is quite happy with this. But it's a lie and a denial of the diversity in homeschooling communities. We are not all HSLDA model members. Some of us are Catholic or Mormon, some of us aren't Christian or believers. Some of us are gay and some of us don't spank.

As for government control, heck, the real remedy for that is to take responsibility ourselves, not cede it to an organization that truly isn't accountable to it's members.

:iagree: Thank you for posting this. I couldn't have put it as eloquently as you did.

I'm not sure where you got this information but this is incorrect. I've belong to HSLDA for 10 years and they do not require curriculum to be listed with on file. I can't remember the exact wording of the statement they ask you to sign, but it's something that indicates you are following some sort of course of study. I've often thought that even if we were unschoolers, we would have no trouble signing that statement as it is vague enough to include all styles.

The person may be referring to their application for membership. I remember being a bit nonplussed about things they asked on there. I think it's obvious that they support a certain kind of homeschooling.

But don't you see that they are protecting your choice to spank/not spank, be gay/straight, teach Christianity/Catholicism/Hinduism/Islam? They protect your right to choose. You don't have to choose what they do.

I would not join for many of the same reasons others who posted wouldn't.

They lobby about more than just homeschooling and most of their stances do not sit well with me.

They represent a certain type of homeschooler and not all the wide varieties of homeschoolers in America.

happyno.gif This is not true. happyno.gif I am a member and I never had to list any of my curriculum. happyno.gif

happyno.gif This is not true. happyno.gif I am a member and I never had to list any of my curriculum. happyno.gif
http://www.hslda.org/join/agreement.asp

Membership Agreement

WE AGREE:

• To exercise diligence in teaching our children in a responsible way.

•  

• To use a clearly organized program of education to instruct our children.

• To keep records of each child’s educational progress.

• To notify the Association promptly of any threatened or actual legal paper received by us related to our homeschool.

• That all the information presented on this form, to the best of our knowledge, is true and accurate.

PLEASE NOTE:

• Payment must be submitted with the application. No refund is available once membership is approved.

•  

• Membership fees are not tax deductible. HSLDA is not an insurance company.

• Membership begins once your application is reviewed, approved, and entered into our membership database.

• The approval process for applications usually takes two to four weeks (longer in the summer and fall) once we have received your application.

• You will receive a membership packet after your application is approved. Membership is valid for 12 months from the date your application is approved.

• Of your annual membership fee, $15.00 is the Home School Court Report subscription cost.

• HSLDA reserves the right not to approve any membership application and the right to revoke membership if any information has been misrepresented. If your application cannot be approved, we will return your payment and send you a letter of explanation.

• Any children enrolled in a public homeschool program, such as a charter school or independent study program, are not eligible for membership.

• HSLDA does not provide legal representation for members in matters involving divorce, child custody, or related domestic affairs, except in third-party custody cases.

• Because of HSLDA's active involvement in preserving traditional marriage, we do not provide legal representation for matters involving same-sex marriages, civil unions, polygamy, or related domestic arrangements.

ETA: While I Have not had to list my curriculums, Ihave been seriously encouraged on the phone by HSLDA to only use "traditional" curriculums. Edited by Dobela

http://www.hslda.org/join/agreement.asp

ETA: While I Have not had to list my curriculums, Ihave been seriously encouraged on the phone by HSLDA to only use "traditional" curriculums.

To use a clearly organized program of education to instruct our children.

The above statement does not mean you have to use a "traditional" curriculum. What it means is if you are being hauled into court, you need to be able to prove you are educating you children.

I didn't use a "traditional" curriculum for my girls in math until last year and the HSLDA lawyer was fine with what I was doing. I had made my own organized program of education.