Menu

Anyone NOT like McRuffy phonics

mumkins

I tried the kindergarten program with my son. It didn't work for him. It starts out in the first lesson or two blending. My son has a really hard time with blending and it just didn't click with him. The games make it more fun, but that also means that there are a lot of pieces to keep up with. We ended up not using it. I really should just get rid of it. I will say that my son loved McRruffy K math. I really think the issue we had with the phonics has more to do with my son than the program. I think my dd would have loved the program.

Jan

Edited by jg_puppy

it does start sort of quickly....one of the reasons we started with Explode the Code first then moved onto McRuffy. DS did have an easier time blending C-A-T than my DD would have, but not sure if that's just how he is wired or if the ETC helped

I shouldn't really comment, because I just received 1st grade the other day. It is way ahead of where I thought it would be and has a lot of writing. I think I'll continue with Headsprout and the I See Sam books. I also use Phonics Pathways as a supplement. DD should be ready for McRuffy by September.

I bought the 1st grade phonics program and opened it up and promptly returned it. I knew it would not work for my son. There is just WAY too much information being thrown in on the first lesson! They were teaching suffixes on the first lesson. Woa, slow down please. I was not impressed. If you have a very quick learner who would like a fast paced program I'm sure it would work for you, but not for my little guy.

Slow and steady wins the race!;)

Edited by farmwife
spelling error