Menu

Combining 2 math programs

hmschooling

How do you use 2 programs together? Do you try to match up topics, or just go in sequence in each one even if it's different topics? Do you do both each day, every other day, or what?

My plan is to combine Singapore with Mastering Mathematics with a 3rd grader that is soon to start SM 3A. Then next year my 1st grader will start the same combo.

I'm not set on having to get through all of SM 3 in one year this year, as long as we get through 3A. (we're a level ahead for her age after talking with the SM rep via email so I'm in no rush-- she's a very young 3rd grader)

No, we don't try to match up topics. We do SM, an entire grade a year, unless they want to do more and don't worry about slowing them down if they're young. What I'm doing with my second dd who finished SM before she was ready to begin Algebra is Russian Math from Perpendicular Press.

I use Singapore and Miquon together for my ds and Singapore and Life of Fred for my dd. When my dd was younger I used to try to match up topics in Singapore and Miquon, but what I found over time was there were some topics she needed more practice in than others. It was too much repetition to make her do the same thing basically in two math programs. So I started using Singapore as my spine. We always do Singapore, we do lessons in the order presented, and we finish the book. For Miquon, I add it in if I think it reinforces a key concept in a good way, or if extra practice is needed. If my dd (or now, ds), seems to "get" the concept pretty well, I skip the assignment that matches up from Miquon. As a result, we don't finish Miquon. We only do Miquon if reinforcement is needed, or if they just think it's fun. :001_smile:

Now my dd has moved beyond Miquon. I still use Singapore as our main math program, but she really likes the presentation in LoF. I just let her do the lessons concurrently at the moment. She enjoys it, so why not?

We did just Singapore last year. This year Im planning on Singapore as out main curriculum, with Miquon as an additional one to help cement any ideas DS may need help with, or just for some extra practice. (since we haven't tried it yet, not sure if we'll stick with it, but time will tell)

I like that there is a list matching up Singapore subjects with the appropriate Miquon books---makes it easier for me to plan out

Middle ds used Saxon and Singapore. We just worked through both as time allowed 5x/week.

This past year the little man used Saxon and went to the Kumon center. I have no say ds's Kumon math. He simply procedes through the levels. I obviously could not match up anything. He did Saxon 4x/week and Kumon 7x/week.

This next year the little guy will be using MMM, Primary Challenge Math, and Kumon math. He will do MMM 2x/week, PCM 2x/week, and Kumon math 6x/week. Again, I will not attempt to line up anything.

HTH-

Mandy