Menu

Working independently 4th grade

bethben

I'm looking for curriculum ds can do independently - English, math, writing...I have been planning him to do Rod and Staff LA, Singapore math, and IEW (first 3 units) for writing. My life is blowing up around me in a way (good and bad) - to the point that DH said, "I wish there was a great Christian school we could use for a semester for free" (which there is most definately not!). If I switch him to Abeka math, will I hate that I did that? i really like Singapore, but it seems to require a lot of teaching time. What about writing? Help?

My kids used Abeka in a school they attended. Hated IT!!!! It is a spiral concept which did not work for my girls. It also has alot of busy work and things are done over and over to the point of being ridiculous. Isn't Singapore more of a Mastery concept? I havent used it so I have no opinion to offer on Singapore but i would really look into Abeka before you purchase it. Others may love it but I know my kids hated it even in school. God Bless!!

Exploration Education has science he can do on the computer totally independently. It includes a hands-on kit. http://www.explorationeducation.com/intermediate/overview.html

For math, I'd get him a Horizons workbook and be done with it. It will be different obviously, but he'll be fine. They have a placement test. http://www.sonlight.com/horizons-readiness-evaluations.html

History, I see you've been doing TOG. That's a lot of work! I'd pick a spine, just one spine that he can actually read ( http://www.amazon.com/American-Story-True-Tales-History/dp/0375812563 or Child's Story of America would do) and have him read a bit each day. Have him write 3-4 sentences about what he read and draw a picture. Boom, you just covered history and writing.

Spelling. Get him the Calvert Spelling cd's. https://store.calvertschool.org/c-7-cd-courses.aspx They are inexpensive, and he'll even improve his typing with it, a bonus benefit!

Grammar? Wouldn't worry about it if you've done it in the past. One year off won't kill him. If it bugs you, pick up a FlashKids workbook or something similar. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Language-Arts/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411404120/

Ideally he'd read from a book basket and write one book summary each week. If that's not reality, what I did with my dd last year (same age, same issue with a new baby coming) was to get the Sam Campbell series and let her read them. They're WONDERFUL for that age and very funny. Also I got her several of the SL core 3 books on audio cd to listen to, making up for not doing read alouds. Johnny Tremain, Witch of Blackbird Pond, a lot of the biggees are available on audio.

As long as he's doing math, reading something every day, and writing something every day, he's going to be fine. The more you combine those skills and put them on autopilot, the easier. You'll be able to pick back up next year. Our 4th gr was kind of slack because of the new baby, and we're fine. You will be too! :)

PS. If you want some fun but independent stuff, he might like the Complete a Sketch series, Mindbenders, or some computer software like Fritz & Chesster, which teaches you to play chess (highly recommend!).

I've been looking for ways to shift my oldest to more independent work this year - I'm due with twins at the end of the year and I know there will be a big chunk of the year that I can't give him my full attention. For math I got him Teaching Textbooks 5. He started it already and seems to be enjoying it and it's required very little time from me.

The Tapestry of Grace is not the part I'm concerned about. I have that all scheduled out already for him to do independently. We have a co-op that will take care of the activities. So, that's not my big concern. I've heard not so good things about teaching textbooks. I so hate to change things that have been working well. I'll look into Horizons...it did seem a bit easier to do although I wasn't impressed with his math skills through it.

Beth

Have you considered CLE math? That was the other one I considered besides Teaching Textbooks. I'm relatively happy with TT5 so far - I don't think we will continue with it through the long term though, based on some of the same comments I think you've heard.

We do a fair bit independently (well, all but my ds.)

My eldest can do almost anything independently because she learns well by reading.

Latin--we use a program with video instruction. The teacher talks them through the worksheets, then they study on their own for about a week until they're ready for the quiz.

Math-U-See can be done using the DVDs as the teacher. I like it, but use it with Singapore Math, but SM requires some instruction. There are other math programs with video instruction such as TT & VideoText.

SOTW can be done mostly independently if you need to. My dc read it themselves, do the extra reading themselves, do the activity guides. I have one who reads all the directions and does the activities with no help from me.

My dds used A Beka health independently; I just checked their work. I'm not a huge A Beka fan, but they did well with the health books. We've used their spelling, but I'm not as impressed with that, although the word lists are good and the poetry in the back is fine.

My eldest has done R&S independently for several years, but, as I said, that's how she prefers to learn most things. My middle dd does quite a bit of it independently. She reads it, and I simply make sure she understands it before she does the work on her own.

Art is easy to do fairly independently. Masterpiece Art Instruction has some lovely courses dc can do mostly on their own (or all on their own with my dd's as they're artsy and can see & read what to do and do a good job--they have done The Phonics of Drawing.) There are some with video instruction, such as the How Great Thou Art series by Barry Stebbing. Unless people have taken his workshops, I strongly recommend the videos anyway.

Science--during intense years in elementary school, mine sometimes just read history encyclopedias and trade books. My eldest learned a lot that way, and after doing that found the books for her grade level too easy (she is a science buff, however.) You don't have to do tons of experimentation in the early years to get good scientists, especially if they play outside, see flora & fauna IRL, etc.

Writing Strands can be done quite independently.

There's more, but I think some of what my dd's did on their own might not work, as my ds cannot seem to do as many things independently as they did due to a somewhat different learning style.

English, math, writing

English - Read a book, write about it. (history, science, literature, religion)

Vocab - choose vocabs from the book, write definitions and memorize, write sentence or two with the vocab words.

Math - math facts first, all of them , plus minus times, divide, then Saxon Math independently, student makes own corrections. Post-It Flag the index and glossaries if she has to look something up.

Do JAG in 5th or 6th grade if your life gets more under control then.

:seeya:

:seeya:

I know it is off the grid so to speak but very independent if your child can go with that style, but have been there and using Singapore math, but what about ALEKS? It is less expensive without materials to buy if you have computer access. It has the math drills built in for drill time. If you could afford more I saw some posts about an online Singapore math class but it was out of my range. The other one is another online singapore math but it is interactive, without a teacher. That is HeyMath! I have heard good reviews on other boards about it. The child can complete the online section and then do the workbooks, both independently. That way you aren't switching curriculum. Both ALEKS and HeyMath! have trials. Best wishes.

I have dc do Saxon 54 in 4th grade independently after they adjust to the switch from the lower grades format. I use Rod and Staff for grammar and grade 4 English needs you to be there for much of it for clarification, IMO. I wouldn't just give R&S to one of my dc and say "go do your grammar" unless it was a lesson on proper telephone usage or writing a friendly letter.

Spelling Workout is pretty independent if you have a natural speller.

Aurora Lipper's Supercharged Science is supposed to be totally hands-on for kids and hands-off for parents but I've never used it, only heard great things.

That is HeyMath! I have heard good reviews on other boards about it. The child can complete the online section and then do the workbooks, both independently. That way you aren't switching curriculum.

I didn't even know Heymath! existed Does this actually teach the Singapore lessons for you?!?! Can you do more than one level? This is something to look into!

Beth

Exploration Education has science he can do on the computer totally independently. It includes a hands-on kit. http://www.explorationeducation.com/intermediate/overview.html

For math, I'd get him a Horizons workbook and be done with it. It will be different obviously, but he'll be fine. They have a placement test. http://www.sonlight.com/horizons-readiness-evaluations.html

History, I see you've been doing TOG. That's a lot of work! I'd pick a spine, just one spine that he can actually read ( http://www.amazon.com/American-Story-True-Tales-History/dp/0375812563 or Child's Story of America would do) and have him read a bit each day. Have him write 3-4 sentences about what he read and draw a picture. Boom, you just covered history and writing.

Spelling. Get him the Calvert Spelling cd's. https://store.calvertschool.org/c-7-cd-courses.aspx They are inexpensive, and he'll even improve his typing with it, a bonus benefit!

Grammar? Wouldn't worry about it if you've done it in the past. One year off won't kill him. If it bugs you, pick up a FlashKids workbook or something similar. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Language-Arts/Flash-Kids-Editors/e/9781411404120/

Ideally he'd read from a book basket and write one book summary each week. If that's not reality, what I did with my dd last year (same age, same issue with a new baby coming) was to get the Sam Campbell series and let her read them. They're WONDERFUL for that age and very funny. Also I got her several of the SL core 3 books on audio cd to listen to, making up for not doing read alouds. Johnny Tremain, Witch of Blackbird Pond, a lot of the biggees are available on audio.

As long as he's doing math, reading something every day, and writing something every day, he's going to be fine. The more you combine those skills and put them on autopilot, the easier. You'll be able to pick back up next year. Our 4th gr was kind of slack because of the new baby, and we're fine. You will be too! :)

PS. If you want some fun but independent stuff, he might like the Complete a Sketch series, Mindbenders, or some computer software like Fritz & Chesster, which teaches you to play chess (highly recommend!).

One of these days I'll figure out how to quote just part of the post - anyway, I'm not familiar with the Sam Cambell series - what are the books about?

I think Saxon is a good math curriculum for self-learning. You can use the Dive CD (pricey) if you want, but I just have my son read the lesson on his own each day. I started his 4th grade year with Teaching Textbooks 5, but after Christmas I switched back to Saxon. TT was like taking a step backward - even though it was the 5th grade level.

I think the best way to understand Heymath! is to visit the site, http://www.heymath.com/ view the demos and try the free trial. Many who use or have used Singapore math use it on another board. They have told me it pays to buy the Singapore version because it covers more "years" but I don't know about that first hand. My DD used the trial and liked it a lot so I am debating what to add with her LOF for this next year. She has done Singapore math as well as ALEKS. Heymath is definately the more fun, and engaging of the two and our subscription to ALEKS expires. She will say good riddance because it is very comprehensive but dry after a year. We are out of Singapore books as she is now done with 6 but Heymath continues above that.

The site is interactive with demonstrations and examples then problems, and includes games as well. It covers a span of levels depending on which subscription you choose.

Edited by melmichigan

I couldn't tell if heymath! would teach each lesson for me. It seemed to be more of a teaching supplement? Maybe I just have to get the trial and try it out. I'm assuming I'm looking at the Singapore rather than the US version?

Beth

My girls do ABeka Math and they do it independently. For the most part, I grade their work and help them if there are any corrections. I've found it to be a low-stress but academically solid math.

You might check out Calvert CHOW for History. Their kit has a nice student workbook that is straightforward and would be easy on you as far as input. It is designed to be done independently. The optional CD is a fantastic addition. My girls loved the CD that went with this program.

Critical Thinking has the Science Detective Series with would be one option for science. I would use it in conjunction with something like Singapore My Pals Are Here. Both of these are good independent work options.

Wordly Wise is good for Vocab and Growing With Grammar for grammar are designed to be done independently. Not so sure about composition since we do CW and that is teacher intense. For Lit, you might check out the Elson Readers (we did those and I just reviewed the comprehension questions orally-fast and fun).

Hope some of this is helpful. :)